Old October 27th 10, 04:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default **** on the tracks

On 27 Oct, 16:56, wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:44:39 +0100

Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message of Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:38:15
in uk.transport.london, writes

[snip]

Well I hadn't noticed toilets on the platforms at Holborn but anyone knows
otherwise.... And if I was to leave the station then come back in I'd get

There are no public toilets in Holborn station.

Yes I know. It was a dismissive open ended question. There are no public
toilets in any deep level tube station AFAIK.

Not at deep level, for obvious reasons. I think there are some at
stations served by tube trains, eg Baker Street.

As you leave the station, there is a narrow exit to the right to High
Holborn and another straight ahead to Kingsway. McDonalds used to have a
store opposite the High Holborn exit. I don't know if it is still there.
J.D.Wetherspoons runs the Shakespeare's Head. Turn left into Kingsway
and walk about 50m. It has male, female and RADAR-accessible toilets.

Or there are plenty of bushes in lincolns inn fields.

B2003

Old October 27th 10, 04:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message of Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:56:00
in uk.railway, d writes
Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message of Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:38:15
in uk.transport.london,
d writes

[snip]

Well I hadn't noticed toilets on the platforms at Holborn but anyone knows
otherwise.... And if I was to leave the station then come back in I'd get

There are no public toilets in Holborn station.

Yes I know. It was a dismissive open ended question. There are no public
toilets in any deep level tube station AFAIK.

Not "in" but some "at". i.e.
Baker Street - in, but not in deep part
Bank - run by City of London
Canada Water - bus station, but closed due to "antisocial behaviour".
Canary Wharf
Earl's Court
Green Park - run by Westminster.
Old Street - run by Islington
Piccadilly Circus - run by Westminster
Vauxhall - bus station + ****oir in middle of road
Westminster - 0.50 in subway from exit 6 under Whitehall

I've used all of those, except the one at Westminster.
I ignore McDonalds, Starbucks, William Hill, etc.
I also ignore mainline rail stations attached to Underground stations.
A RADAR key gives access to a more salubrious class of facility.

All arbitrary until caught short. I've occasionally persuaded staff to
let me skip out and back to use the facilities. I've also been allowed
to use staff loos on occasion.

As you leave the station, there is a narrow exit to the right to High
Holborn and another straight ahead to Kingsway. McDonalds used to have a
store opposite the High Holborn exit. I don't know if it is still there.
J.D.Wetherspoons runs the Shakespeare's Head. Turn left into Kingsway
and walk about 50m. It has male, female and RADAR-accessible toilets.

Or there are plenty of bushes in lincolns inn fields.

If you visit the Doric Arch, Euston Square has less cover.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old October 27th 10, 05:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:29:58 +0100, Roland Perry put finger to keyboard and
typed:

In message , at 10:25:18 on Wed, 27 Oct
2010, Roland Perry remarked:

Current rumblings locally say maybe Spring 2011, but that may well
require the council to "blink first" and clean up the snag-list
themselves.

The following has now appeared in the local paper:

"The council expects the project to be completed in mid-January,
and will then have to step in to fix the defects on the northern
section."

Late summer, maybe?

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk

Old October 27th 10, 06:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:42:21 +0100, Walter Briscoe
wrote:

I also ignore mainline rail stations attached to Underground stations.
A RADAR key gives access to a more salubrious class of facility.

Would you consider the toilet on platform 8 at Wimbledon?
I wouldn't. Not because it's kept locked and you have to
ask a member of staff to open it but because, iirc, there
is a brenton (padlock) bolt which anyone could slide across,
trapping whoever was inside.
--
Roger
Old October 27th 10, 06:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27 Oct, 17:02, MIG wrote:

Not at deep level, for obvious reasons.

There's no obvious reason why there shouldn't be any at deep level,
though to the best of my knowledge none exist, at least for public
use; are there any for staff?

Facilities were provided in the deep level shelter tunnels, which are
pretty similar to tube station tunnels, and I believe that remains of
sewage ejectors, used to lift the waste to the level of the sewers,
still exist at some of these.
Old October 27th 10, 06:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27 Oct, 15:14, Basil Jet wrote:

Since the escalators at Holborn are a bottleneck, why should people of
your ilk be allowed to ride up and down them at no cost?

Surely, they're not free to use; the fare paid to ride on the system
includes the right to use station facilities, such as escalators; you
can't use them without paying for a ticket.
Old October 27th 10, 09:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:28:32 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Furley
wrote:

On 27 Oct, 17:02, MIG wrote:

Not at deep level, for obvious reasons.

There's no obvious reason why there shouldn't be any at deep level,

There is - try getting sh^H^Heffluent to flow upwards without a pump
or syphon. If such devices fail then there is potential to close not
just the station but the train services passing through it.