London Banter

-   -   Wifi on the tube (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11376-wifi-tube.html)

Matthew Dickinson October 29th 10 01:06 AM

Wifi on the tube

BTOpenzone are starting a six month trial of Wifi access at Charing
Cross tube station. Access is to be available in the ticket hall and
on the Northern and Bakerloo platforms.

See http://seekbroadband.com/focus/2010/...charing-cross/

for more details.

Offramp October 29th 10 11:59 AM

Wifi on the tube

On 29 Oct, 02:06, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
BTOpenzone are starting a six month trial of Wifi access at Charing
Cross tube station. Access is to be available in the ticket hall and
on the Northern and Bakerloo platforms.

Seehttp://seekbroadband.com/focus/2010/10/29/ispwatch/london-underground...

for more details.

I thought that BT Openzone cost a bomb.

[email protected] October 29th 10 12:35 PM

Wifi on the tube

wrote:
BTOpenzone are starting a six month trial of Wifi access at Charing
Cross tube station. Access is to be available in the ticket hall and
on the Northern and Bakerloo platforms.

Seehttp://seekbroadband.com/focus/2010/10/29/ispwatch/london-underground...

for more details.

I thought that BT Openzone cost a bomb.

People would probably be better off spending money on psychiatric sessions
if they can't go 30 mins without accessing the internet.

B2003

Roland Perry October 30th 10 07:52 PM

Wifi on the tube

In message , at 12:35:59 on Fri, 29 Oct
2010, d remarked:
wrote:
BTOpenzone are starting a six month trial of Wifi access at Charing
Cross tube station. Access is to be available in the ticket hall and
on the Northern and Bakerloo platforms.

Seehttp://seekbroadband.com/focus/2010/10/29/ispwatch/london-underground...

for more details.

I thought that BT Openzone cost a bomb.

Depends on your plan (as ever). From 1p a minute on the £5/month plan,
to 0p (if you are on an unlimited deal).

People would probably be better off spending money on psychiatric sessions
if they can't go 30 mins without accessing the internet.

These days people use the Internet to check things like train
timetables, and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never catch
on ;-)

Mizter T October 30th 10 08:53 PM

Wifi on the tube

On Oct 29, 2:06*am, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
BTOpenzone are starting a six month trial of Wifi access at Charing
Cross tube station. Access is to be available in the ticket hall and
on the Northern and Bakerloo platforms.

See http://seekbroadband.com/focus/2010/...on-underground....

for more details.

Can Northern & Bakerloo Train Operators expect to find a small but
significant contingent of potential passengers actually holding back
and sitting on benches or milling around whilst fiddling with
communications devices instead of boarding their trains at CX then?

Paul Scott[_3_] October 31st 10 11:12 AM

Wifi on the tube

wrote:
BTOpenzone are starting a six month trial of Wifi access at Charing
Cross tube station. Access is to be available in the ticket hall and
on the Northern and Bakerloo platforms.

See
http://seekbroadband.com/focus/2010/...on-underground...

for more details.

Can Northern & Bakerloo Train Operators expect to find a small but
significant contingent of potential passengers actually holding back
and sitting on benches or milling around whilst fiddling with
communications devices instead of boarding their trains at CX then?

They probably won't make it to the platform, having fallen off the bottom of
the escalator while looking up live running info...

Paul S

Basil Jet[_2_] October 31st 10 11:42 AM

Wifi on the tube

wrote:
BTOpenzone are starting a six month trial of Wifi access at Charing
Cross tube station. Access is to be available in the ticket hall and
on the Northern and Bakerloo platforms.

See
http://seekbroadband.com/focus/2010/...on-underground...

for more details.

Can Northern & Bakerloo Train Operators expect to find a small but
significant contingent of potential passengers actually holding back
and sitting on benches or milling around whilst fiddling with
communications devices instead of boarding their trains at CX then?

They probably won't make it to the platform, having fallen off the
bottom of the escalator while looking up live running info...

Surely everyone knows to stand on two steps.

solar penguin October 31st 10 12:00 PM

Wifi on the tube

On 30 Oct, 19:52, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:35:59 on Fri, 29 Oct
2010, remarked:

--

If you're already at the station, it's a bit late to start going
online to check whether trains are running!

Roland Perry October 31st 10 12:07 PM

Wifi on the tube

In message
, at
06:00:43 on Sun, 31 Oct 2010, solar penguin
remarked:
These days people use the Internet to check things like train
timetables, and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never catch
on ;-)

If you're already at the station, it's a bit late to start going
online to check whether trains are running!

You would be checking the times at whatever National Rail station you
were heading for. For example, Kings Cross if heading north on the
Bakerloo (change at Oxford Circus).

[email protected] October 31st 10 02:54 PM

Wifi on the tube

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

People would probably be better off spending money on psychiatric
sessions if they can't go 30 mins without accessing the internet.

These days people use the Internet to check things like train
timetables, and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never
catch on ;-)

Can't you do that on your phone?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Neil Williams October 31st 10 03:09 PM

Wifi on the tube

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:54:12 -0500,
wrote:

Can't you do that on your phone?

Not on the Tube. Which is, to be fair, often a time when I'd want to
check out the next bit of my journey...

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.

Roland Perry October 31st 10 03:45 PM

Wifi on the tube

In message , at 10:54:12
on Sun, 31 Oct 2010, remarked:
People would probably be better off spending money on psychiatric
sessions if they can't go 30 mins without accessing the internet.

These days people use the Internet to check things like train
timetables, and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never
catch on ;-)

Can't you do that on your phone?

Oh do keep up Colin! Not on the platform at a tube station!!

But if one had a phone or other handheld device which can use wifi, then
that's exactly what one might find it handy for.

ps I can't do it on *my* phone (even up at ground level) because I don't
have an affordable data plan :( But I've narrowly avoided getting an
iPad, and that would be just the kind of application.

Tom Anderson October 31st 10 06:28 PM

Wifi on the tube

wrote:
BTOpenzone are starting a six month trial of Wifi access at Charing
Cross tube station. Access is to be available in the ticket hall and
on the Northern and Bakerloo platforms.

Seehttp://seekbroadband.com/focus/2010/10/29/ispwatch/london-underground...

for more details.

I thought that BT Openzone cost a bomb.

Depends on your plan (as ever). From 1p a minute on the ?5/month plan, to 0p
(if you are on an unlimited deal).

And if you have a smartphone contract with O2, they throw in Openzone and
The Cloud as freebies. I really need to find out if this applies to me!

tom

--
The Impossible is True

Tim Roll-Pickering October 31st 10 07:53 PM

Wifi on the tube

Roland Perry wrote:

These days people use the Internet to check things like train timetables,
and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never catch on ;-)

I wish TfL would make its website more smart phone friendly. Often
information fails to display clearly, especially the weekend engineering
section. And the Journey Planner is very hard to use on a small touchscreen.

Tim Roll-Pickering October 31st 10 07:55 PM

Wifi on the tube

wrote:

These days people use the Internet to check things like train
timetables, and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never
catch on ;-)

Can't you do that on your phone?

Not without a lengthy phonecall to either a busy line or the automatic
service which can't understand speech and which throws a wobbler over any
background noise (especiall screaming brats). It's messy when you have to
rearrange your travel plas due to engineering works.

Walter Briscoe October 31st 10 10:12 PM

Wifi on the tube

In message of Sun, 31 Oct 2010
20:53:21 in uk.transport.london, Tim Roll-Pickering T.C.Roll-
writes
Roland Perry wrote:

These days people use the Internet to check things like train timetables,
and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never catch on ;-)

I wish TfL would make its website more smart phone friendly. Often
information fails to display clearly, especially the weekend engineering
section. And the Journey Planner is very hard to use on a small touchscreen.

You HAVE tried http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/planner

It calculates journeys now from a post code, stop or station
to a post code, stop or station.

It is phone friendly and transmits a few K bytes of data - the regular
journey planner transmit 100s of K.
--
Walter Briscoe

[email protected] October 31st 10 10:33 PM

Wifi on the tube

In article ,
(Tim Roll-Pickering) wrote:

wrote:

These days people use the Internet to check things like train
timetables, and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never
catch on ;-)

Can't you do that on your phone?

Not without a lengthy phonecall to either a busy line or the
automatic service which can't understand speech and which throws a
wobbler over any background noise (especiall screaming brats). It's
messy when you have to rearrange your travel plas due to
engineering works.

My phone has a web browser. Doesn't yours?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mizter T November 1st 10 12:10 AM

Wifi on the tube

On Oct 31, 4:45*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:54:12
on Sun, 31 Oct 2010, remarked:

People would probably be better off spending money on psychiatric
sessions if they can't go 30 mins without accessing the internet.

These days people use the Internet to check things like train
timetables, and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never
catch on ;-)

Can't you do that on your phone?

Oh do keep up Colin! Not on the platform at a tube station!!

But if one had a phone or other handheld device which can use wifi, then
that's exactly what one might find it handy for.

ps I can't do it on *my* phone (even up at ground level) because I don't
have an affordable data plan :( But I've narrowly avoided getting an
iPad, and that would be just the kind of application.

You don't want to have to whip out an iPad just to check the LDBs
though!

Roland Perry November 1st 10 07:33 AM

Wifi on the tube

In message
, at
18:10:50 on Sun, 31 Oct 2010, Mizter T remarked:
ps I can't do it on *my* phone (even up at ground level) because I don't
have an affordable data plan :( But I've narrowly avoided getting an
iPad, and that would be just the kind of application.

You don't want to have to whip out an iPad just to check the LDBs
though!

Plenty of people use upmarket phones for that kind of thing; and the
iPad is at the larger end of the scale, I agree.

Roland Perry November 1st 10 07:35 AM

Wifi on the tube

In message , at 18:33:27
on Sun, 31 Oct 2010, remarked:

My phone has a web browser. Doesn't yours?

My phone has a tiny screen that wouldn't be any use for browsing, even
if I had a data plan to pay for it. It was bought for the in-built
camera, not the extra connectivity.

Tom Anderson November 1st 10 08:39 PM

Wifi on the tube

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 18:33:27 on
Sun, 31 Oct 2010, remarked:

My phone has a web browser. Doesn't yours?

My phone has a tiny screen that wouldn't be any use for browsing, even
if I had a data plan to pay for it. It was bought for the in-built
camera, not the extra connectivity.

Seriously, though, have a go:

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/planner

It's designed for tiny screens. I used to use it on my Sony Ericsson T68i,
which had a 101x80 screen. Even if you haven't got a data plan, it
generates so little traffic that it won't cost you much.

tom

--
Through the darkness of Future Past the magician longs to see.

Mizter T November 1st 10 09:30 PM

Wifi on the tube

On Nov 1, 9:39*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 18:33:27 on
Sun, 31 Oct 2010, remarked:

My phone has a web browser. Doesn't yours?

My phone has a tiny screen that wouldn't be any use for browsing, even
if I had a data plan to pay for it. It was bought for the in-built
camera, not the extra connectivity.

Seriously, though, have a go:

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/planner

It's designed for tiny screens. I used to use it on my Sony Ericsson T68i,
which had a 101x80 screen. Even if you haven't got a data plan, it
generates so little traffic that it won't cost you much.

Agreed - along with the (perhaps more useful) National Rail wapsite,
replete with useful LDBs, plus the Journey Check wapsites (if the TOC
in question has one).

I have a pretty basic mobile with tiny screen which I use for some
basic browsing - TfL, National Rail and JCheck as mentioned above, BBC
news, weather and sports results, BT phonebook, Google for a few
nuggets of info - worth noting that if you go through a Google search,
Google actually reformats full sized web pages to suit your device -
it can actually work surprisingly well.

CJB November 2nd 10 01:22 AM

Wifi on the tube

wrote:
BTOpenzone are starting a six month trial of Wifi access at Charing
Cross tube station. Access is to be available in the ticket hall and
on the Northern and Bakerloo platforms.

Seehttp://seekbroadband.com/focus/2010/10/29/ispwatch/london-underground...

for more details.

I thought that BT Openzone cost a bomb.

People would probably be better off spending money on psychiatric sessions
if they can't go 30 mins without accessing the internet.

B2003

Agreed. And BT Openzone is indeed incredibly expensive.

But WiFi is free - via The Cloud - in any McDonalds or Pret outlets -
even at McD's in railway stations such as Paddington. It is also free
at Krispy Kreme outlets.

Interestingly WiFi is also free at Slough Station - not useful when
passing through at speed - but if waiting for a train, or even if
stopping there for a few minutes - there is enough time to connect and
do a few emails!!

CJB.

Roland Perry November 2nd 10 05:42 AM

Wifi on the tube

In message
, at
19:22:12 on Mon, 1 Nov 2010, CJB remarked:
BT Openzone is indeed incredibly expensive.

What do you mean by "incredibly expensive"? When I looked at their price
list the other day, the worst package was £5 for 500 minutes (a month).

CJB November 2nd 10 09:25 AM

Wifi on the tube

On Nov 2, 6:42*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
19:22:12 on Mon, 1 Nov 2010, CJB remarked:

BT Openzone is indeed incredibly expensive.

What do you mean by "incredibly expensive"? When I looked at their price
list the other day, the worst package was £5 for 500 minutes (a month).

Expensive when compared to free. CJB.

Tim Roll-Pickering November 2nd 10 09:47 AM

Wifi on the tube

Tom Anderson wrote:

Seriously, though, have a go:

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/planner

It's designed for tiny screens. I used to use it on my Sony Ericsson T68i,
which had a 101x80 screen. Even if you haven't got a data plan, it
generates so little traffic that it won't cost you much.

It looks good but I found a major flaw yesterday when trying to use it to
find an alternative route when the Jubilee Line went down. As the site
does't give me the option to specify any journey details I couldn't tell it
to avoid the tube through Bermondsey and show me the alternative routes,
particularly buses.

Theo Markettos November 2nd 10 12:42 PM

Wifi on the tube

In uk.railway Roland Perry wrote:
What do you mean by "incredibly expensive"? When I looked at their price
list the other day, the worst package was £5 for 500 minutes (a month).

Which isn't very attractive compared with £5-10 for 1GB that you get from
mobile networks... use it for as many minutes as you like, in a much wider
selection of places. The wifi option only wins if you're going to download
a lot or need a fast connection.

Theo

Roland Perry November 2nd 10 01:33 PM

Wifi on the tube

In message , at 13:42:29 on Tue,
2 Nov 2010, Theo Markettos remarked:
What do you mean by "incredibly expensive"? When I looked at their price
list the other day, the worst package was £5 for 500 minutes (a month).

Which isn't very attractive compared with £5-10 for 1GB that you get from
mobile networks...

I use a 3G dongle by preference, but haven't found one as cheap as £5
for 1GB. Indeed, looking around just now they all appear to be £10 for
1GB, although you can get some deals at £20 for 3GB.

use it for as many minutes as you like, in a much wider
selection of places. The wifi option only wins if you're going to download
a lot or need a fast connection.

Wifi also wins where there isn't mobile coverage!

The Real Doctor November 2nd 10 03:15 PM

Wifi on the tube

On 2 Nov, 10:25, CJB wrote:

Expensive when compared to free. CJB.

I get unlimited Openzone access for free as part of my BT home
broadband subscription.

Ian

Ivor November 2nd 10 03:21 PM

Wifi on the tube

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 09:15:15 -0700 (PDT), The Real Doctor
wrote:

Expensive when compared to free. CJB.

I get unlimited Openzone access for free as part of my BT home
broadband subscription.

and T-Mobile customers get 300 roaming minutes a month with some
mobile data packages

Roland Perry November 2nd 10 07:54 PM

Wifi on the tube

In message i, at
21:39:35 on Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Tom Anderson
remarked:
Seriously, though, have a go:

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/planner

It's designed for tiny screens. I used to use it on my Sony Ericsson
T68i, which had a 101x80 screen. Even if you haven't got a data plan,
it generates so little traffic that it won't cost you much.

I gave it a try earlier today. The thing which defeated me was finding a
key to press with the "enter" or "send" function. So having got to the
right enquiry page, and typed in a station name, I was stranded with no
obvious way forward. (I'm sure it's obvious to others... please tell
me!)

Examination of my online bill shows that this lack of completed enquiry
cost me 30p.

Walter Briscoe November 2nd 10 08:25 PM

Wifi on the tube

In message of Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:54:47 in
uk.transport.london, Roland Perry writes
In message i, at
21:39:35 on Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Tom Anderson
remarked:
Seriously, though, have a go:

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/planner

It's designed for tiny screens. I used to use it on my Sony Ericsson
T68i, which had a 101x80 screen. Even if you haven't got a data plan,
it generates so little traffic that it won't cost you much.

I gave it a try earlier today. The thing which defeated me was finding
a key to press with the "enter" or "send" function. So having got to
the right enquiry page, and typed in a station name, I was stranded
with no obvious way forward. (I'm sure it's obvious to others... please
tell me!)

Examination of my online bill shows that this lack of completed enquiry
cost me 30p.

Underneath "Full post code, stop or station",
On the left, I see a box to complete and to its right, there is a "Find"
button.
What did you see?
You can also connect from your regular PC to see how it should work.
--
Walter Briscoe

Tom Anderson November 2nd 10 09:27 PM

Wifi on the tube

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 13:42:29 on Tue, 2 Nov
2010, Theo Markettos remarked:

The wifi option only wins if you're going to download a lot or need a
fast connection.

Wifi also wins where there isn't mobile coverage!

I suspect there are very few places where there is public wifi where there
is not 3G coverage.

tom

--
life finds a way

Tom Anderson November 2nd 10 09:47 PM

Wifi on the tube

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Roland Perry wrote:

In message i, at 21:39:35
on Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Tom Anderson remarked:

Seriously, though, have a go:

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/planner

It's designed for tiny screens. I used to use it on my Sony Ericsson
T68i, which had a 101x80 screen. Even if you haven't got a data plan,
it generates so little traffic that it won't cost you much.

I gave it a try earlier today. The thing which defeated me was finding a
key to press with the "enter" or "send" function. So having got to the
right enquiry page, and typed in a station name, I was stranded with no
obvious way forward. (I'm sure it's obvious to others... please tell
me!)

I tentatively guess that you have a couple of so-called 'soft keys'
underneath the screen, somewhere near your call and hang up buttons. Each
of those will correspond to some kind of action on the page; this should
be displayed on the screen. What kind of phone do you have?

Examination of my online bill shows that this lack of completed enquiry cost
me 30p.

Yeah, that's not ideal value.

tom

--
life finds a way

Mizter T November 2nd 10 11:36 PM

Wifi on the tube

On Nov 2, 10:47*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

[...]

Yes, this is a phone browser interface function as opposed to a wap
page design function, for want of a more precise way of describing it.
On my uber-basic Nokia the magic key in question is the big one in the
centre of the directional navigation keypad - when the text entry
field is the focus of the screen it says 'Edit', when in text entry
mode it says 'OK' (for when one is finished), and when the focus of
the screen is a link it says 'Select'.

Examination of my online bill shows that this lack of completed enquiry cost
me 30p.

Yeah, that's not ideal value.

Not ideal, no - one can improve it somewhat by turning off images in
the phone's browser, so less data gets sent and charged for, plus it
can speed things up a little (the TfL wapsite isn't heavy on images,
but every little counts - the NR wapsite however is free of images in
the first place).

Also, an obvious point perhaps but don't use the preset option on the
browser which directs one to the pre-installed home page (of the
network or phone manufacturer or whatever - though it's likely this
reconfigurable anyway), instead go straight to the TfL (or NR) wapsite
by entering the address first before connecting, or better set and
then use a bookmark - I've got bookmarks for a number of LDBs for NR
stations I use, for example.

If you do succeed, I suspect you'll find the wap version of the TfL
journey planner a little wanting - well, I do at least! It's doesn't
offer any options such as a way of selecting certain modes only (e.g.
bus only), or being able to to choose the time you want to travel - it
just assumes you want to travel now, and then in the results screen it
offers a '30 minute later' jump.

The timetables section (accessed on the TfL front page) can be useful
- again it assumes one is travelling immediately, but I've found can
be a good way of checking late (or night) bus times when one is
already out, also I think the same applies for getting some idea of
when the last Tube trains run (though see above w.r.t. the wap journey
planner's lack of options - it'd be good to be able to query these
directly, ditto first Tube trains).

Just to converge on another recent thread, whilst useful it can't
quite can't compare to calling up the TfL Travel Info line and
speaking to someone who's well versed in matters metro-
transportational (I only made use of it occasionally but each time
they provided very helpful advice, and I know many others who rate
them highly). Of course, I won't be doing this any more now that it'll
cost and arm and a leg from a mobile, which is a shame.

Roland Perry November 3rd 10 07:08 AM

Wifi on the tube

In message i, at
22:27:16 on Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Tom Anderson
remarked:
The wifi option only wins if you're going to download a lot or need
a fast connection.

Wifi also wins where there isn't mobile coverage!

I suspect there are very few places where there is public wifi where
there is not 3G coverage.

The tube platforms at Charing Cross (and others, if this gets rolled
out) are a rather obvious example!

As are many trains if (and I do say "if") they have usable wifi inside,
especially if it's a Voyager/Meridian style.

Meanwhile, the phone coverage (for data) inside one of the three
departure lounges at East Midlands Airport [don't mention the toner
cartridges] is sufficiently poor on both 3 and Vodafone that I sometimes
fall back to their T-Mobile hotspot.

Overseas, the balance rapidly swings towards wifi, simply because of the
cost and the lack of data roaming (for prepau dongles, anyway).

Roland Perry November 3rd 10 09:58 AM

Wifi on the tube

In message , at 21:25:27 on Tue, 2
Nov 2010, Walter Briscoe remarked:
I gave it a try earlier today. The thing which defeated me was finding
a key to press with the "enter" or "send" function. So having got to
the right enquiry page, and typed in a station name, I was stranded
with no obvious way forward. (I'm sure it's obvious to others... please
tell me!)

Examination of my online bill shows that this lack of completed enquiry
cost me 30p.

The good news is that 30p is apparently for "unlimited web access all
day". So something good has come out of this episode; that's something I
will definitely use more often.

Underneath "Full post code, stop or station",
On the left, I see a box to complete and to its right, there is a "Find"
button.

What did you see?

Sorry, I was misremembering. I couldn't get the wap.tfl thing typed in
properly (screen too small without my glasses!) So I was using a
bookmark for wap.nationalrail.co.uk which I found to my surprise on the
phone (I must have tried it before).

On my PC, wap.nationalrail.co.uk auto-redirects to the wap.tfl site, but
on my phone ends up with a four-line menu, with no means to select which
menu line I want. The screen is almost completely a white background
with no soft-buttons showing.

But it's probably a red herring, because now I have managed to type in
the wap.tfl url.

That has the "Find" button and a soft-menu for "Select". And I can move
the focus to the "Find" button using the cursor keys, but this is
hampered by the fact that the "Find" button isn't highlighted in any
when when it has the focus on it (you can only tell because the focus is
missing elsewhere on the screen).

Roland Perry November 3rd 10 09:59 AM

Wifi on the tube

In message i, at
22:47:58 on Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Tom Anderson
remarked:
I tentatively guess that you have a couple of so-called 'soft keys'
underneath the screen, somewhere near your call and hang up buttons.
Each of those will correspond to some kind of action on the page; this
should be displayed on the screen.

Those disappeared as soon as the page was displayed, all I had was a
mainly white plain background. I have supplied extra details in another
posting (I was looking at a different page).

What kind of phone do you have?

Sony Ericsson Cybershot. The soft keys are a touch-sensitive area at the
bottom of the screen, and in normal use a complete nightmare. They are
either very insensitive to touch (when I want to use them) or do random
things as a result of accidentally touching my face mid-call (when I
don't want them).

Neil Williams November 3rd 10 03:19 PM

Wifi on the tube

On 1 Nov, 09:33, Roland Perry wrote:

Plenty of people use upmarket phones for that kind of thing; and the
iPad is at the larger end of the scale, I agree.

Getting a smartphone out of your pocket and getting an iPad out of
your bag are two different things, though. I would (and do where
signal is available on the subsurface lines) use my smartphone.

Neil