Old November 10th 10, 09:53 AM
Junior Member

Default Parking in London

Hi All,

I recently moved to London and have been trying to find parking around the West End.

The comparison sites I used recommended www.247parking.com

Anyone know of any alternatives?

Thanks,

Andrew

Old November 10th 10, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:53:22 on Wed, 10
Nov 2010, AndyS76 remarked:

Anyone know of any alternatives?

The one under Hyde Park, best by far.
Old November 10th 10, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 10, 4:04 pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:53:22 on Wed, 10
Nov 2010, AndyS76 remarked:

Anyone know of any alternatives?

The one under Hyde Park, best by far.

pedantry mode
The subterranean car park is mostly under Park Lane, rather than Hyde Park
itself - though of course much of width of the Park Lane 'expressway' was
carved out of the park in the 60's.
/pedantry mode

The car park in question actually goes by two names - Marble Arch and Park
Lane - but it's one and the same thing, it just has entrances/exits at the
north (Marble Arch) and south (Park Lane) ends. It's also on the congestion
charge free route.

More info:
http://www.westminster.gov.uk/servic...park/carparks/
or via http://tinyurl.com/Westminster-Car-Parks

The above page has info about all of Westminster council's car parks.

All rather depends what the OP is after - for instance, in the evening (and
on Sundays, and sometimes part of if not all of Saturdays too) on street
parking restrictions aren't in force in many places (though always be sure
to check - e.g. in the centre of town many residents bays are in force
24/7).

Rumour has it that there are other methods of transportation around the
metropolis too ;-)

Old November 10th 10, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:07:57 on
Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:

On Nov 10, 4:04 pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:53:22 on Wed, 10
Nov 2010, AndyS76 remarked:

Anyone know of any alternatives?

The one under Hyde Park, best by far.

pedantry mode
The subterranean car park is mostly under Park Lane, rather than Hyde
Park itself - though of course much of width of the Park Lane
'expressway' was carved out of the park in the 60's.
/pedantry mode

Come on - you know better than that. None of it's under Park lane. The
southern entrance has quite a long tunnel to get to the parking part,
and at the north end the entrance (which feeds into the NE corner of the
parking lot) is some way west of Marble Arch

The car park in question actually goes by two names - Marble Arch and
Park Lane - but it's one and the same thing, it just has
entrances/exits at the north (Marble Arch) and south (Park Lane) ends.

It's sufficiently unpopular (to tourists) that large sections are now
used for corporate parking, extra-long-term parking and so on. I don't
remember if some of it still contains a car pound. From my visit a year
ago I think most of the public parking is now at the southern end
(longer walk to the tube station).

Old November 10th 10, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"AndyS76" wrote in message

Hi All,

I recently moved to London and have been trying to find parking around
the West End.

The comparison sites I used recommended www.247parking.com

Anyone know of any alternatives?

You need to provide more detail as to what you're after. If you're living in
the West End your needs will be rather different to someone who lives
elsewhere in London and requires somewhere to park a car when they *visit*
the West End.

I know a number of London dwellers who have sold their cars and joined a car
club for those times they actually need one. They all swear it was the best
thing they did ...

--
DAS

Old November 11th 10, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:47:12 on Wed, 10 Nov
2010, David A Stocks remarked:
I recently moved to London and have been trying to find parking around
the West End.

The comparison sites I used recommended www.247parking.com

Anyone know of any alternatives?

You need to provide more detail as to what you're after. If you're
living in the West End your needs will be rather different to someone
who lives elsewhere in London and requires somewhere to park a car when
they *visit* the West End.

It sounds to me like he's living in the West End and wants 24x7 parking.

Old November 11th 10, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I recently moved to London and have been trying to find parking
around the West End.

The comparison sites I used recommended www.247parking.com

Anyone know of any alternatives?

You need to provide more detail as to what you're after.

snip

I had by now rather assumed he was after advertising that site which may
just show I am too cynical.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old November 11th 10, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote:

In message , at 22:47:12 on Wed, 10 Nov
2010, David A Stocks remarked:

I recently moved to London and have been trying to find parking around
the West End.

The comparison sites I used recommended www.247parking.com

Anyone know of any alternatives?

You need to provide more detail as to what you're after. If you're living
in the West End your needs will be rather different to someone who lives
elsewhere in London and requires somewhere to park a car when they *visit*
the West End.

It sounds to me like he's living in the West End and wants 24x7 parking.

Well if he's living in the City of Westminster then he can apply for a
resident's parking permit - interesting to note that various types of "Eco
vehicles" (electric etc) can get free permits:
http://www.westminster.gov.uk/servic...identsparking/

Many Westminster residents parking bays are in force 24/7 - certainly seems
to be the case across the West End (and this also applies to some central
areas in other boroughs - e.g. LB Camden have 24/7 parking bays around
Bloomsbury, IIRC).

Also available for residents is a "huge discount off the full price of a
standard priced season ticket" in Westminster car parks with the 'Resident
Season Ticket Discount', as outlined he
http://www.westminster.gov.uk/servic...dents_parking/
or via http://tinyurl.com/32skx2m

Looking at that page, I'm not quite sure what the other of the "two great
schemes" that are offered to residents is supposed to be - I do remember
seeing a shorter term 'holiday' parking offer for residents in their car
parks (i.e. for when they go away), which I can't now see, so maybe it's a
remnant of that.

One thing I must mention - I did just note this, er, enlightened (ahem)
paragraph on one of the parking pages on the Westminster website:

---quote---
News: Beat the tube strike starting on the evening of Tuesday 2 November.
Disruption is likely throughout Wednesday this week, so why not avoid the
hassle of over-crowded public transport and drive, parking in a secure
Westminster car park? Pre-book online to guarantee a space.
---/quote---
Source:
http://www.westminster.gov.uk/servic...ng/masterpark/

As to the OP, well perhaps Robin might just be on to something with his
suggestion that it may have been a bit of subtle spamming - not sure it's
worked too well given that all it did is prompted mentions of Westminster
council car parks! I haven't done a rigorous comparison at all, but a quick
glance at the NCP website suggests that they're rather more expensive than
their nearby Westminster operated counterparts.

Also perhaps worth noting Westminster's 'parking offers' page...
http://www.westminster.gov.uk/servic.../latestoffers/
or via http://tinyurl.com/Westminster-Parking-Offers

- includes details of:
* the long running half-price parking scheme for Theatre goers;
* info about pre-booking (through the 'Holiday Extras' website) which may
offer a small saving (though note that pre-booking is only offered for 24
hour periods, so those staying for half a day or less may well still be
better off just paying on the day);
* free parking for electric/zero emission vehicles in Westminster car parks
(application required);
* the "easyJet style" dynamic pricing model at Queensway car park (though
this might not remain quite so cheap once the CC western extension
disappears).

(Right, who do I have to ask at Westminster City Hall for my commission?!)

Old November 11th 10, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin" wrote:

I recently moved to London and have been trying to find parking
around the West End.

The comparison sites I used recommended www.247parking.com

Anyone know of any alternatives?

You need to provide more detail as to what you're after.

snip

I had by now rather assumed he was after advertising that site which may
just show I am too cynical.

I think you might be on to something there! Benefit of the doubt and all
that - let's see if he returns.

Old November 11th 10, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:53:22AM +0000, AndyS76 wrote:

I recently moved to London and have been trying to find parking around
the West End.
The comparison sites I used recommended www.247parking.com
Anyone know of any alternatives?

Leave the car at home and use public transport. I find that it's hardly
ever slower, is less stressful, and once you consider the cost of
parking it's always cheaper.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

Seven o'clock in the morning is something that
happens to those less fortunate than me