Old November 11th 10, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Boxing Day Tube Strike Threat

On Nov 11, 9:09*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
18:15:23 on Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:

* Stansted Express
Boxing Day, Sunday 27th December, Bank Holiday Monday 28th December -
services will only run between Tottenham Hale and Stansted Airport.

Full marks to them for spelling out the various days. 26-28th again this
year, presumably?

This year's NR Christmas/New Year timetable amendments are now up at
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ex_custom.html

Old November 11th 10, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 10, 12:43*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
04:31:39 on Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Paul remarked:

What I don't quite understand is what are ASLEF complaining about if
there is a long standing agreeement covering working arrangements on
Boxing Day. Are they just pushing their luck?

* * * * "The spokesman said: "It used to be almost guaranteed that if
* * * * you worked one bank holiday, you would not work the next. But
* * * * the increase in service levels has meant this is now no longer
* * * * possible.

* * * * "We are not opposed to additional services for customers, but we
* * * * believe that there are times when staff need to be appropriately
* * * * compensated for working at highly unsocial times - and that
* * * * includes Boxing Day."

But, of course, the 26th isn't a Bank Holiday this year. Or are they
talking about the 28th, or was that the 27th (cont'd page 94).

(I knew that there was a reason for worrying about the Bank Holiday
arrangements this year!)

Given that this problem comes up every few years (2004 being the last
time Christmas Day fell on a Saturday), you'd have thought they'd have
a decent solution by now.

I work shifts. This year, I'm due to work on the morning of December
25th and the 26th. My employer recognises that it's a bit of an
antisocial time to work, so provides transport, an extra payment, and
lays on some food and drink. The policy clearly states that the
payments apply for the 25th and 26th, and not for the Christmas Day /
Boxing Day holiday. (That said, I don't get anything extra for working
on a Sunday or public holiday - do LU workers?)
Old November 11th 10, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 04:31:39AM -0800, Paul wrote:

What I don't quite understand is what are ASLEF complaining about if
there is a long standing agreeement covering working arrangements on
Boxing Day. Are they just pushing their luck?

It's not like anyone works that week anyway, so strike away, no-one will
care!

Repent through spending
Old November 11th 10, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 06:15:23PM -0800, Mizter T wrote:
In article ,
(Roy Badami) wrote:
You mean the tube runs on Boxing Day? =A0
If so, it must be just about the only rail service that does.

No - there's a few Southern and Southeastern services, plus (reduced)
airport express services.
This webpage details what happened last year (Xmas 2009):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/h...000/8413759.s=
tm

For the record, I'll copy and paste the relevant bits below:

---quote---
* Southern
Boxing Day - limited service between Victoria and Brighton, London
Bridge to East Croydon via Norwood Junction and London Bridge and East
Croydon via Selhurst.

That has to be London *Victoria* and East Croydon via Selhurst.

Deck of Cards: $1.29.
"101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
-- Shane Lazarus

Old November 11th 10, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 11, 11:22 am, martin wrote:

On Nov 11, 9:09 am, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
18:15:23 on Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:

* Stansted Express
Boxing Day, Sunday 27th December, Bank Holiday Monday 28th December -
services will only run between Tottenham Hale and Stansted Airport.

Full marks to them for spelling out the various days. 26-28th again this
year, presumably?

This year's NR Christmas/New Year timetable amendments are now up at
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ex_custom.html

Thanks Martin - has that just gone up, or did I do a really inept job of
looking for it yesterday?

I see Southeastern seems to have completely given up, which is rather a
shame - I dunno if it's just that the 26th being a Sunday made things too
difficult staffing wise, or patronage wasn't high enough in previous years,
or that it was all just too much bother.

Southern is once again running a limited service on Boxing Day (the 26th),
but this is affected by engineering works twixt Balham and Victoria meaning
that the South London 'Metro' services will terminate at Balham with a
replacement bus provided to Victoria (or of course there's the tube from
Balham... if it runs!). The Brighton trains will however run into Victoria.

Old November 11th 10, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote in message

What I don't quite understand is what are ASLEF complaining about if
there is a long standing agreeement covering working arrangements on
Boxing Day. Are they just pushing their luck?

I thought they come out with this argument every time that there's a weekend
Boxing Day and a weekday in lieu. They want whatever extras they get on
both days.

Paul

Old November 11th 10, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

[cross-posted to uk.railway]
"David Cantrell" wrote
Mizter T wrote:
For the record, I'll copy and paste the relevant bits below:

---quote---
* Southern
Boxing Day - limited service between Victoria and Brighton, London
Bridge to East Croydon via Norwood Junction and London Bridge and East

Croydon via Selhurst.

That has to be London *Victoria* and East Croydon via Selhurst.

The train service database seems to think that there is a Sutton-West
Croydon-Selhurst-Balham stopping service, an East Croydon-Crystal
Palace-Balham stopping service and a Brighton-Victoria service with calls at
Selhurst and Streatham Common. A rail replacement bus service runs
Balham - Wandsworth Common - Clapham Jn - Battersea Park - Victoria.

Old November 11th 10, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
03:32:34 on Thu, 11 Nov 2010, martin
remarked:

I work shifts. This year, I'm due to work on the morning of December
25th and the 26th. My employer recognises that it's a bit of an
antisocial time to work, so provides transport, an extra payment, and
lays on some food and drink. The policy clearly states that the
payments apply for the 25th and 26th, and not for the Christmas Day /
Boxing Day holiday.

Are they assuming that public transport is back in operation?

(That said, I don't get anything extra for working on a Sunday or
public holiday - do LU workers?)

Dunno, but I don't get paid extra, and have often had to spend Sundays
travelling to overseas meetings, which frequently clash with UK Bank
Holiday Mondays. The only attendees who seem to get their voices heard
are the Americans, who try very hard to make sure dates aren't set which
overlap their public holidays (the meetings in question are rarely held
actually inside USA).
Old November 11th 10, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"John Salmon" wrote

The train service database seems to think that there is a Sutton-West
Croydon-Selhurst-Balham stopping service, an East Croydon-Crystal
Palace-Balham stopping service and a Brighton-Victoria service with calls
at Selhurst and Streatham Common. A rail replacement bus service runs
Balham - Wandsworth Common - Clapham Jn - Battersea Park - Victoria.

And it's confirmed he
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...nformation.pdf