Old December 16th 03, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tottenham Court Road escalators, December 2003.

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

Wtf are you talking about?

My sentiments exactly!

Take apart escalator and shipping to factory - 1 week approx.

How exactly are you going to take apart an escalator, with another machine
in operation for 20 hours a day just inches away from you? Don't forget
there are fire alarm cables, pipes and sensors running all around the
machinery which wouldn't be able to be isolated during the time the station
is open. Where are you going to store all these parts your engineers are
removing, there's hardly enough space in stations as it is!

Refurbish and test at factory, well lets be kind and say 3 weeks.

How exactly are you going to test a new escalator without it being in the
shaft it's been designed for?

Ship back to staton, rebuild and test - 2 weeks.

See the first part.

Thats 6 weeks and I've been pretty generous with the time. What exactly do

they
do with the other 4.5 months out of the 6 it generally takes themn to fix

these
things??

If you really think you can deliver as stated above, it would seem you're
wasted doing the job you do and you'd be able to make a massive profit
bidding for contracts for escalator refurbishment by being able to undercut
bids from the likes of Kone and Otis!

Old December 17th 03, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote in message . ..
On 16 Dec 2003 07:43:04 -0800, (Boltar) wrote:

Take apart escalator and shipping to factory - 1 week approx.

Refurbish and test at factory, well lets be kind and say 3 weeks.

Ship back to staton, rebuild and test - 2 weeks.

Thats 6 weeks and I've been pretty generous with the time. What exactly do they
do with the other 4.5 months out of the 6 it generally takes themn to fix these
things??

Right...Now schedule that for the 4 or so hours a night that you can
actually do the work (i.e. when the station is closed to passengers) and
add in the fact that escalators are custom built for each site,
nominally at a 30 degree angle though I believe there's one station on
the Northern Line with an incline of 23 and a bit degrees.

So what? Will they get vertigo if it goes over a certain inclination? And
if they're limited to nights only why do they build these massive hordings
around them and (very occasionally admittedly , don't want to stop their
tea break) work during the day??

There's also the small matter of them needing to run for the best part
of 20 hours a day, 364 days a year and carry around 13000 passengers an
hour, unlike your average department store escalator.

*yawn* Big ****ing deal, heard this BS 101 times before. You could say the
same thing about the trains. But it doesn't take 6 months to fix one of them
when they go wrong does it?! And they're probably 100 times more complex.
Please stop spouting the party line , it gets very tedious.

B2003
Old December 17th 03, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message ...
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
How exactly are you going to take apart an escalator, with another machine
in operation for 20 hours a day just inches away from you? Don't forget
there are fire alarm cables, pipes and sensors running all around the
machinery which wouldn't be able to be isolated during the time the station
is open. Where are you going to store all these parts your engineers are
removing, there's hardly enough space in stations as it is!

I gave them roughly a week to take it apart. I think thats long enough to
remove a load of steps and other assorted pieces don't you?

Refurbish and test at factory, well lets be kind and say 3 weeks.

How exactly are you going to test a new escalator without it being in the
shaft it's been designed for?

Err , you test each individual bit. How do you think any large piece of
machinary is tested? You think they build a special shaft for lifts and test
run them in the factory before they install them in a skyscraper?

If you really think you can deliver as stated above, it would seem you're
wasted doing the job you do and you'd be able to make a massive profit
bidding for contracts for escalator refurbishment by being able to undercut
bids from the likes of Kone and Otis!

Oh here we go , they standard issue "if you think you can do better why don't
you try". Yeah , I'll just go get a grant for a few hundred million to set
up my own factory. Meanwhile , back in the real world I would suggest that
the reason they take so long to fix is that LU gives them all the time in the
world to get it done , so consequently they don't bother to work hard.

B2003
Old December 17th 03, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

Oh here we go , they standard issue "if you think you can do better why

don't
you try". Yeah , I'll just go get a grant for a few hundred million to set
up my own factory. Meanwhile , back in the real world I would suggest that
the reason they take so long to fix is that LU gives them all the time in

the
world to get it done , so consequently they don't bother to work hard.

Don't you think the likes of Otis or Kone would be turning round an
escalator refurbishment in six weeks if it was possible? Consider the
benifits - reduction in total wage cost per machine, more machines
refurbished per annum = huge profits for the private company and and
increased dividend for shareholders. Perhaps the management within those
private companies are dullards...

BTW, have you ever been in an escalator machine room, do you really realise
how complicated and what a constrained place it is?

Old December 17th 03, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

*yawn* Big ****ing deal, heard this BS 101 times before. You could say the
same thing about the trains. But it doesn't take 6 months to fix one of

them
when they go wrong does it?! And they're probably 100 times more complex.
Please stop spouting the party line , it gets very tedious.

Of course you couldn't compare the two! Trains don't get refurbished
anywhere near the general public was wander around, there's far easier
access and no fire alarms to contend with for starters. BTW, do you actually
know the turn round time for a refurbished train?

Old December 17th 03, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Barry Salter
writes
nominally at a 30 degree angle though I believe there's one station on
the Northern Line with an incline of 23 and a bit degrees.

There are several escalators at 26 degrees 23 minutes (4 in 9 climb
instead of 1 in 2).

They are at Baker Street (2), Earl's Court (2), Embankment (4), Kilburn
Park (2), Liverpool Street (3), Maida Vale (2), Oxford Circus (3),
Paddington (2), and Warwick Avenue (2). Further details on my web site.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old December 17th 03, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

I think it would be better if LU just closed a station completely for a

month
and did all the escalators there in one big lot rather than causing years

of
disruption.

At the smaller, less busy, stations, I'd agree. However, closures of
stations such as Liverpool Street, Victoria, Euston and Bank would affect
too many people and affect the stations adjacent too much.

Old December 18th 03, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There's also the small matter of them needing to run for the
best part
of 20 hours a day, 364 days a year and carry around 13000
passengers an
hour, unlike your average department store escalator.

HTH,

Barry

I think that's where we came in. The Tottenham Court Road
system of three escalators does not come close to a 364 day
average.

And I sure that that they were also out of action in previous
years (2001 or 2002 or both) in the run up to Christmas.

Gordo
--
This is not my sig nature.....
gordo AT loop zilla.org.......
Old December 24th 03, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message ...

BTW, have you ever been in an escalator machine room, do you really realise
how complicated and what a constrained place it is?

I was taken in to see the old 'wooden' escalators at Marylebone, anout
twenty years ago, by an engineer. I suspect hat it's not as easy to
get in today. They were very heavily engineered, I'd like to meet
anybody who could do a major overhaul on one of those in six weeks!

It used to be possible to see into the machine room at Kentish Town by
going down the emergency stairs, and looking in through a window in
the door, if the lights were on, I don't know if it still is. How on
Earth do they get the machinery into there?

Even longer ago I managed to get into the lift machine room at one of
the Elephant and Castle stations, the Northern Line one I think, when
the original Otis machines were still there. Great stuff, I like old
electrical equipment. It's a pity that with all the security and
health and safety these days it's much harder to get visits to
interesting places. Those Otis lifts weren't really designed with
health and safety in mind!