Old November 19th 10, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 2009 stock reliability

Another one broken down at Finsbury park today apparently. A broken down
train at victoria yesterday which no doubt was a 2009. What the hell is
wrong with these trains? Shouldn't LU just send them back to Derby until they
work rather than testing them out on the public?

B2003

Old November 19th 10, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:52:59 +0000
Clive wrote:
Don't you remember when the Central line stock was replaced, they had
teething troubles with motor straps breaking. The harshness of service
is sometimes the only way to shake down any problems.

Test run them at night then If a car manufacturer released a car that broke
down every day they're not going to get away saying "oh well, letting the
public drive it is the best way to find out any issues". They test
throroughly beforehand. Sure, a few long term issues sneak through occasionally
but I wouldn't call the problems with the 2009s long term. They're happening
now all the time and proper testing would have found them out.

B2003

Old November 19th 10, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:
Don't you remember when the Central line stock was replaced, they had
teething troubles with motor straps breaking. The harshness of
service is sometimes the only way to shake down any problems.

Test run them at night then If a car manufacturer released a car that
broke down every day they're not going to get away saying "oh well,
letting the public drive it is the best way to find out any issues".
They test
throroughly beforehand. Sure, a few long term issues sneak through
occasionally but I wouldn't call the problems with the 2009s long
term. They're happening now all the time and proper testing would
have found them out.

The latest issue of Rail magazine reported that for some PPP contractual
reason, the 2009 stock couldn't be tested on the Old Dalby test track,
unlike the S Stock. Given that both trains come from the same factory,
and both were bought by the now defunct Metronet, I don't know why
there's this difference. But apparently the testing of the S Stock has
paid off, and they've been less problematic in initial service than the
poor 2009 trains.

Old November 19th 10, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:
[...]

Interesting, and curious - would of course be interesting to know what the
reasoning behind that was.

Old November 19th 10, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

Are there any S8s that are running east of Wembley Park now? I would
think that they can run all the way to Aldgate as the platforms between
there and Baker Street can already handle 62A stock.
Old November 19th 10, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

*wrote:
[...]

The Metropolitan seems to have run out of trains every day lately.
Have they stopped maintaining the A stock or something?
Old November 20th 10, 07:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 19, 10:42*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:56:30 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
On Nov 19, 8:38 pm, "
wrote:
Are there any S8s that are running east of Wembley Park now? I would
think that they can run all the way to Aldgate as the platforms between
there and Baker Street can already handle 62A stock.

They are not yet cleared to run to Aldgate. The next approval is, I
believe, to allow them to run to Amersham but don't ask me when that
will happen.

The Metropolitan seems to have run out of trains every day lately.
Have they stopped maintaining the A stock or something?

No - there are a lot of wheel flat problems as I understand it with
trains being sent all over the place to get their wheels turned. It is
autumn after all. *There is no stop on maintenance activity - the A
Stock trains still have to run for a fair while yet.

If only it was longer. I just don't recall hearing so many
announcements of shortage of rolling stock in the past. (Or maybe the
new track maintenance regime is fussier about trains running with
flats?)
Old November 20th 10, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:56:30 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

On Nov 19, 8:38 pm, "
wrote:

Are there any S8s that are running east of Wembley Park now? I would
think that they can run all the way to Aldgate as the platforms
between there and Baker Street can already handle 62A stock.

They are not yet cleared to run to Aldgate. The next approval is, I
believe, to allow them to run to Amersham but don't ask me when that
will happen.

Last that I heard (ten days ago) from another member of staff is that there
are SDO problems with the S8s at Euston Square, which are taking a long time
to resolve due to some involvement with English Heritage, platform works on
the westbound at Liverpool Street to be completed and a more complicated
issue at Baker Street, where the curve of platforms 2 & 3, coupled with the
door positions and car lengths, means that the gap between the platform and
the train is sufficient to get a push chair down, sideways on!

That said, I always tend to take anything that's told to me by railwaymen
with a pinch of salt, given their tendency to exaggerate. ;-)

Old November 20th 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, MIG
writes
If only it was longer. I just don't recall hearing so many
announcements of shortage of rolling stock in the past. (Or maybe the
new track maintenance regime is fussier about trains running with
flats?)

It's a pity that trains aren't equipped with wet a dry retarder settings
the way traction equipment was on 62 stock.
--
Clive