Old November 27th 10, 01:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default BBC London News

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 25/11/2010 18:38, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.transport.london messageXq2dnVvfFN-DHXDRnZ2dnUVZ8v2dnZ2d@brightv
iew.co.uk, Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:14:10, Arthur Figgis
posted:

Without googling, who, or what, was Fitzroy?

Captain of HMS Beagle of Darwin fame, Met Office bigwig, eventually
topped himself. But without Googling, I couldn't say exactly what he
did at the Met Office - founded it, maybe?

You could Wikipede "Captain FitzRoy".

Aha - so he was a member of a popular beat combo, and is mentioned in
three episodes of The Simpsons (though one was apparently edited out of
the Serbo-Croat broadcasts). And there is a major controversy about how
to spell his name in Klingon.

I fear you have been the victim of vandalism. He is in fact a Pokemon.
Water type.

tom

--
Virtually everything you touch has been mined. -- Prof Keith Atkinson

Old November 27th 10, 04:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

I had to scratch my head for a moment or two before I twigged the
inaccuracy - the suspended service referred to is run by Southern, nor
Southeastern.

Exactly. Who gives a monkey's who runs it? The important thing is that it
was suspended, which they reported accurately.

Ian

Old November 27th 10, 04:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

I have no idea where "Charlie Browns Roundabout" that I heard referred to
recently is.

That's what happens when you pay Peanuts.

Ian

Old November 27th 10, 05:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 27, 5:49*pm, "Ian F." wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

I had to scratch my head for a moment or two before I twigged the
inaccuracy - the suspended service referred to is run by Southern, nor
Southeastern.

Exactly. Who gives a monkey's who runs it? The important thing is that it
was suspended, which they reported accurately.

Ian

Best to read the rest of the thread before commenting, having come to
it this late.

The problem was on the WCML, affecting trains to Watford, Northampton,
Birmingham, Nuneaton etc. Starting an announcement by saying that
there was major disruption on South Eastern was not very informative.