Old October 21st 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

Default Oyster capping on BBC News

Anybody see the article about Oyster on BBC London news at 10?

Apparently TfL say they want to wait until after the prices go up next year
before introducing capping "in order to not confuse customers".

Old October 21st 04, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JB wrote:
Anybody see the article about Oyster on BBC London news at 10?

Apparently TfL say they want to wait until after the prices go up next year
before introducing capping "in order to not confuse customers".

Fair enough; it's almost November after all, and the new fares are quite
different on Oyster.

However someone else said recently that the Oyster website says there
are no definite plans to introduce it at any point soon.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old October 21st 04, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"JB" wrote in message
Anybody see the article about Oyster on BBC London news at 10?

Apparently TfL say they want to wait until after the prices go up next
year
before introducing capping "in order to not confuse customers".

AKA screw the punter for as much as we can while we can get away with it.

Old October 22nd 04, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:09:58 +0100, "Jonathan Davies"
wrote:

"JB" wrote in message
Anybody see the article about Oyster on BBC London news at 10?

Apparently TfL say they want to wait until after the prices go up next
year
before introducing capping "in order to not confuse customers".

AKA screw the punter for as much as we can while we can get away with it.

while I understand the cynicism the fare changes next year will make
capping much more complex [1]. It is no surprise that it is delayed if
TfL keep changing the fares structure that the software and card logic
has to understand.

I think we'll be very lucky to see anything emerge on capping by May of
next year - and that's simply my guess.

[1] e.g. three different concepts of what "Peak" and "off peak" means -
bus pre-pay, tube pre-pay and then one day travelcard / lt card off
peak.
--
Paul C

Old October 22nd 04, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:27:49 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

while I understand the cynicism the fare changes next year will make
capping much more complex [1]. It is no surprise that it is delayed if
TfL keep changing the fares structure that the software and card logic
has to understand.

I think we'll be very lucky to see anything emerge on capping by May of
next year - and that's simply my guess.

[1] e.g. three different concepts of what "Peak" and "off peak" means -
bus pre-pay, tube pre-pay and then one day travelcard / lt card off
peak.

The manufacturers were quoted on that news program as saying that the
capping could have been put in place on day 1, and TFL were unable to give
any reason why it hadn't been done (They refused to appear on that report
or issue any statement).

Steve

Old October 22nd 04, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Peake" wrote ...

(They refused to appear on that report or issue any statement).

Well they issued one, but it was just a useless "look how well were doing
folks" statement.

Old October 22nd 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:19:22 GMT, Steve Peake
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:27:49 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

while I understand the cynicism the fare changes next year will make
capping much more complex [1]. It is no surprise that it is delayed if
TfL keep changing the fares structure that the software and card logic
has to understand.

I think we'll be very lucky to see anything emerge on capping by May of
next year - and that's simply my guess.

[1] e.g. three different concepts of what "Peak" and "off peak" means -
bus pre-pay, tube pre-pay and then one day travelcard / lt card off
peak.

The manufacturers were quoted on that news program as saying that the
capping could have been put in place on day 1, and TFL were unable to give
any reason why it hadn't been done (They refused to appear on that report
or issue any statement).

I didn't see the news report but

a) I am amazed that Transys or any part of the consortium who make a
statement like that. They must be very ****ed off to have to resort to
that tactic or else they've made an error.
b) I am not remotely surprised that TfL would refuse to enter into a
possible argument on the airwaves
c) I expect there will be an argument going on behind close doors given
(a).

I think you'd also find that the manufacturer's view of what capping
would be and what TfL would want on day 1 are at opposite ends of the
spectrum. I've heard it all before - "oh yes we can do "x" on such and
such a date". When you then ask basic questions about how it would work
you find that the proposal being offered would not work in a way that
was remotely satisfactory from a customer, technical or financial
viewpoint.

Ticketing systems are far too complex and have too much potential to
cause huge public complaints that to stick some slapdash solution into
service too quickly would be suicide for TfL. I would also fully accept
that it would be good if the public were told what was going on and when
a solution can realistically be put into service.
--
Paul C

Old October 22nd 04, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

For capping to have worked "on day 1", Oyster would have to have been fully
functional on buses "on day 1", and the regulars on this group know all about
the teething problems of that rollout. I suspect the capping rollout will not
be as trouble-free as the above glib statement suggests.

Old October 22nd 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a typical Transys reponse though, sadly.

They were trying to blame other contractors and existing, agreed book on
procedures for the reason why several gates had not been repaired for over
12 hours yesterday.

Old October 22nd 04, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

The manufacturers were quoted on that news program as saying that the
capping could have been put in place on day 1, and TFL were unable to give
any reason why it hadn't been done (They refused to appear on that report
or issue any statement).

For capping to have worked "on day 1", Oyster would have to have been fully
functional on buses "on day 1", and the regulars on this group know all about
the teething problems of that rollout. I suspect the capping rollout will not
be as trouble-free as the above glib statement suggests.

I emailed TfL a while back asking why capping hadn't been implemented. Their
reply blamed trouble with testing:

"Testing of capping capabilities across the thousands of readers at tube stations,

on all busses, DLR and Tramlink has been far more complex and long-winded

than anticipated. This does not excuse, however the claims made by various

representatives of Transport for London that capping would be available a lot

sooner than it actually will be."