London Banter

-   -   Google Maps amusement (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11615-google-maps-amusement.html)

Basil Jet[_2_] December 22nd 10 01:28 PM

Google Maps amusement

A couple of London neighbourhoods I'm not familiar with... just north of
Shepherds Bush we have "White Stadt", and just east of Mayfair we have
"The May Fair".

Recliner[_2_] December 22nd 10 01:56 PM

Google Maps amusement

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

A couple of London neighbourhoods I'm not familiar with... just north
of Shepherds Bush we have "White Stadt", and just east of Mayfair we
have "The May Fair".

Probably a misplaced label on The May Fair hotel
(www.themayfairhotel.co.uk).

Historically, I think May Fair is the correct name for what we now call
the Mayfair area, being named after the bawdy (condemned by the
authorities for its "lewd and disorderly practices") annual event held
for 78 years from from 1686 on Brook Field, today's Shepherd Market.
See http://www.wetherell.co.uk/mayfair-l...airs-heritage/

Richard J.[_3_] December 22nd 10 02:39 PM

Google Maps amusement

Basil Jet wrote on 22 December 2010
14:28:38 ...
A couple of London neighbourhoods I'm not familiar with... just north of
Shepherds Bush we have "White Stadt", [...]

I'm wondering what correction you've submitted for that. "Weisse
Stadt"? Or if you want to retain the Anglo-German theme, "Shepherd's
Busch". Except that it doesn't seem to show Shepherd's Bush as a
district name ...... oh, yes it does, but it puts it at Wormwood Scrubs.

I note also that it has a bed symbol against "Wood Lane station". With
H&C running water en suite, presumably.
--
Richard J.

contrex December 28th 10 03:21 PM

Google Maps amusement

On Dec 22, 3:39*pm, "Richard J." wrote:

I note also that it has a bed symbol against "Wood Lane station". *With
H&C running water en suite, presumably.

Oh, my sides!

Basil Jet[_2_] December 28th 10 03:44 PM

Google Maps amusement

On 2010\12\28 16:21, contrex wrote:
On Dec 22, 3:39 pm, "Richard wrote:

I note also that it has a bed symbol against "Wood Lane station". With
H&C running water en suite, presumably.

Oh, my sides!

I thought it was funny!