London Banter

-   -   Massive Airport expansion announced (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1165-massive-airport-expansion-announced.html)

Richard J. January 4th 04 06:48 PM

Massive Airport expansion announced

G Crozier wrote:
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 10:17:21 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:
You are mistaken. It was over Staines.

I do beg your parden you are right it was a long time ago though.
The captain, or perhaps another member of the crew, prematurely
closed the leading-edge droops.

I know it was something of that nature :)) .
Crew tiredness .

The captain had a heart attack.

Well the report stated Crew tiredness

No, it didn't. It stated "No question of fatigue arises in this case."

but I did think it was some health problem and he had mentioned
before boarding the plane that he did not feel well but put it
down to indigestion or something.

The only reference in the Public Inquiry report to Captain Key saying that
he felt unwell was on another occasion mentioned by him in a letter 4
months previously. He probably did feel unwell during the flight that
crashed but there is no evidence that he revealed this at any time.

Rather than rely on your memory, I suggest you refer to the inquiry report
which is at
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...cst?n=5250&l=4

--
Richard J.

Graeme Wall January 4th 04 08:03 PM

Massive Airport expansion announced

In message
wrote:

[snip]

This is Europe's biggest city; the third biggest (population-wise) on
the planet -and accounts for LHR having the distinction of the world's
busiest airspace. Sadly, this is why we *need* another airport.

I thought Chicago O'Hare had the world's busiest airspace, Heathrow is merely
the busiest for international flights.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Jon Porter January 4th 04 09:58 PM

Massive Airport expansion announced

"G Crozier" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:42:33 +0000 (UTC), "Jon Porter"
wrote:

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
G Crozier wrote:
wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see the re-introduction of Wisley airfield,
which while very handy for the M3/M25, would also increase the Nimby
factor.
To hell with more airports in the southeast we only have one decent
airport here in the northwest and that's Manchester and the time is
long overdue for us to have another the same size or larger .

Why? Do any other airports in the NW operate anywhere near their
capacity?

Leeds/Bradford took a lot of market share from Manchester when some lower
fares were introduced in 2000 on some European routes. I have no personal
experience but a colleague from Warrington found it cheaper and quicker

use than Manchester at peak times.

Is a hell of a long drive over to Leeds from Warrington I can be on
Manchester airport in an hour from here and its only half an hour from
Warrington . L&B from here would take me a good two hours at least and
not much different from Warrington and no motorway or rail access
right to the door as is the case with Manchester .
I can be in the center of Amsterdam within three hours of leaving home
via Manchester would probably be longer now with all the palavour that
is going on at airports these days I couldn't be going via L&B though.
Grant .

Not a journey I've done often myself, but a colleague reckoned he found it
quicker, possibly depends on the destination. He used London City when
meeting me so that is possibly what he meant.

W K January 5th 04 01:20 PM

Massive Airport expansion announced

"G Crozier" wrote in message

We do need another international airport up here preferably somewhere
in the Kendal area or even turn Carlisle into one at the moment its
either Prestwick Manchester or London's airports for long haul flights
with nothing in between .

So you want one near nobody?

Nigel Pendse January 5th 04 06:16 PM

Massive Airport expansion announced

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

In message
wrote:

[snip]

This is Europe's biggest city; the third biggest (population-wise) on
the planet -and accounts for LHR having the distinction of the
world's busiest airspace. Sadly, this is why we *need* another
airport.

I thought Chicago O'Hare had the world's busiest airspace, Heathrow
is merely the busiest for international flights.

I think the London airports system (including Heathrow, Gatwich, Luton,
Stansted and City) is the world's busiest *system*, more than Atlanta or
Chicago, though ORD or ATL individually do have significantly more flights
than LHR alone. Though those cities also have other airports (eg, Chicago
Midway), no other world city has five international airports. Even New
York's system of three major airports falls well short of London's.

Jon Porter January 10th 04 12:12 PM

wrote:

[snip]

This is Europe's biggest city; the third biggest (population-wise) on
the planet -and accounts for LHR having the distinction of the
world's busiest airspace. Sadly, this is why we *need* another
airport.

I thought Chicago O'Hare had the world's busiest airspace, Heathrow
is merely the busiest for international flights.

I think the London airports system (including Heathrow, Gatwich, Luton,
Stansted and City) is the world's busiest *system*, more than Atlanta or
Chicago, though ORD or ATL individually do have significantly more flights
than LHR alone. Though those cities also have other airports (eg, Chicago
Midway), no other world city has five international airports. Even New
York's system of three major airports falls well short of London's.

As you say busiest can have many meanings, the UK airfield with the most
aircraft movements until fairly recently at least was Kidlington, flight
training centre North of Oxford. Their ATC used to boast they had 50% more
plane and helicopter flights per day than Heathrow and Gatwick combined.
(Mostly flying circuits)

Mike Pellatt January 29th 04 07:19 AM

Massive Airport expansion announced

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:58:52 +0000, Andrew P Smith
wrote:

What we need is for Heathrow to be connected to the Reading and Waterloo
train lines. Then a number of huge, security patrolled park and rides at
dedicated train stations with fast journeys into the airport running
every 15 mins during the day and every 25 mins at night.

I would use it every time.

Is it going to happen? Unfortunately not.

I wish it would.

The connection to the Waterloo line is VERY likely to happen. Not
"going to" yet, but definitely going higher up the agenda from what
I saw a few weeks ago. Surrey
County Council have been pressing for it for many years - I well
remember it being discussed (and universally supported) in the
days when they had an Environment Committee and I sat on it (must
have been 1998 or so).

Whether the park & ride is likely is another question tho......

--
Mike Pellatt
Just use R(eply) (from a standards-compliant newsreader)