London Banter

-   -   Fuel cell bus? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1166-fuel-cell-bus.html)

Fossil December 17th 03 04:52 AM

Fuel cell bus?

I was driving down Mile End around 12:30pm yesterday and saw a fuel cell bus
pass in the opposite direction. On the front was H2O where the number should
be and their was white smoke/vapour coming out of the top.

So when are these coming out?

Regards,

Fossil

Ashley Brown December 17th 03 06:21 AM

Fuel cell bus?

Steve December 17th 03 06:55 AM

Fuel cell bus?

the fact that you seen it has answered your question, it's already out. 3 in
fact now on trial, 15 drivers
have each had special traingin to drive the £800,000 buses. Expect more
soon.

Oliver Keating December 17th 03 12:54 PM

Fuel cell bus?

"Fossil" wrote in message
I was driving down Mile End around 12:30pm yesterday and saw a fuel cell

bus
pass in the opposite direction. On the front was H2O where the number

should
be and their was white smoke/vapour coming out of the top.

So when are these coming out?

I saw the Mercedes fuel-cell bus, reputed to cost £3million.

Of course, if production were to be rolled out I expect the unit cost could
be greatly reduced., but there is a bit of chicken and egg, as manufacturers
can only offer reasonable prices once they start recieving big orders, but
big orders will only come when they have reasonable prices.

Regards,

Fossil

Boltar December 17th 03 03:59 PM

Fuel cell bus?

"Steve" wrote in message ...
the fact that you seen it has answered your question, it's already out. 3 in
fact now on trial, 15 drivers
have each had special traingin to drive the £800,000 buses. Expect more
soon.

Wow , lot of money. I realise they're a prototype but I can't help
thinking they're a bit small for that amount, but given that they mount
the H2 on the top in bottles that rather rules out having double deckers
I suspect since not only would this make them a lot higher but they'd
probably be top heavy. Perhaps they could do a bendy bus version.

B2003

David B December 17th 03 06:06 PM

Fuel cell bus?

"Oliver Keating" wrote in message

"Fossil" wrote in message
I was driving down Mile End around 12:30pm yesterday and saw a fuel cell

bus
pass in the opposite direction. On the front was H2O where the number

should
be and their was white smoke/vapour coming out of the top.

So when are these coming out?

I saw the Mercedes fuel-cell bus, reputed to cost £3million.

Of course, if production were to be rolled out I expect the unit cost

could
be greatly reduced., but there is a bit of chicken and egg, as

manufacturers
can only offer reasonable prices once they start recieving big orders, but
big orders will only come when they have reasonable prices.

Regards,

Fossil

Trolleybuses appear to be more effective than fuel cell buses. Any comments?

Cast_Iron December 18th 03 12:22 AM

Fuel cell bus?

"David B" wrote in message

Trolleybuses appear to be more effective than fuel cell buses. Any

comments?

Fuel cell buses are still in the experimental stage, how can a worthwhile
comparison be made?

Oliver Keating December 18th 03 08:21 AM

Fuel cell bus?

"David B" wrote in message

Trolleybuses appear to be more effective than fuel cell buses. Any

comments?

Except the infrastructure is very expensive, and it requires skilled driving
in order to remain under the wires, many trolleybuses would become
dislodged.

Of course, where there were tramlines already, they could use those, but
they were horrendously impractical.

Boltar December 18th 03 05:48 PM

Fuel cell bus?

"David B" wrote in message ...
Trolleybuses appear to be more effective than fuel cell buses. Any comments?

Arn't trolleybuses trams designed by a commitee? They're not as flexible as a
bus (they have to stay near the wires) but they're not as efficient as a tram
and carry far less people. Plus from what I've read and been told , they have
a habit of dewiring which makes buggers things up a bit.

B2003

Spyke December 18th 03 11:29 PM

Fuel cell bus?

Of course, where there were tramlines already, they could use those, but
they were horrendously impractical.

Of course, you'd have to modify the tramlines with the return wire as
well. (Trams only need one wire as they return the current through the
rails).
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do