London Banter

-   -   A fare-free travel system for the UK (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11710-fare-free-travel-system-uk.html)

Jeremy Double January 18th 11 07:17 PM

A fare-free travel system for the UK

On 18/01/2011 15:00, Alistair Gunn wrote:
In uk.railway Stimpy twisted the electrons to say:
Most people don't live within walking distance of a railway station.

What constitutes "walking distance" when you say this? Obviously
different people will have different ideas as to what would be reasonable
(one person's walk to the shops might be a major expedition requiring a
support vehicle to somebody else!), but just wondering what sort of
ballpark figure you had in mind?

It depends on what the alternative is... if there is a bus service on a
1 hour frequency, then a walk of 30 minutes (or about 2 miles) is not
unreasonable. But not if I've got heavy luggage.

When I was a student, I once walked from Machynlleth to a youth hostel
in Corris, about 5 or 6 miles, because there was no convenient bus. So
IMO "walking distance from a station" is further in rural areas, where
there is no convenient alternative.

--
Jeremy Double {real address, include nospam}
Rail and transport photos at

Stimpy January 20th 11 07:20 AM

A fare-free travel system for the UK

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:17:33 +0000, Jeremy Double wrote
[...]

Not if you have to do it more than occasionally. If my local station was 5-6
miles away, there's no way I'd define that as 'walking distance'

alan.holmes January 30th 11 06:53 PM

"Jeremy Double" wrote in message
[...]

But what about us miserable old beggars who cannot walk far?

Alan

Brian Watson[_2_] February 2nd 11 12:12 AM

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Jeremy Double" wrote in message

When I was a student, I once walked from Machynlleth to a youth hostel in
Corris, about 5 or 6 miles, because there was no convenient bus. So IMO
"walking distance from a station" is further in rural areas, where there
is no convenient alternative.

But what about us miserable old beggars who cannot walk far?

Bus, taxi, hitch, convenient neighbour/friend.

"Honestly, old people these days, want everything done for them. Back when I
were a kid, we were grateful to 'ave feet..."

"Feet? You were lucky...!"

Etc ad nauseam.

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

[email protected] February 2nd 11 01:41 PM

A fare-free travel system for the UK

In article ,

*Subject:* A fare-free travel system for the UK
*From:* "Brian Watson"
*Date:* Wed, 2 Feb 2011 01:12:09 -0000

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Jeremy Double" wrote in message

When I was a student, I once walked from Machynlleth to a youth

hostel in Corris, about 5 or 6 miles, because there was no
convenient bus. So IMO "walking distance from a station" is
further in rural areas, where there is no convenient alternative.

But what about us miserable old beggars who cannot walk far?

Bus, taxi, hitch, convenient neighbour/friend.

In general, yes, but not in the City Centre pedestrianised area from which
all of those are banned unless they are buses run free of charge to
passengers. Hence the City Shuttle bus.

"Honestly, old people these days, want everything done for them.
Back when I were a kid, we were grateful to 'ave feet..."

"Feet? You were lucky...!"

Etc ad nauseam.

We used to think people who could walk were posh....

--
Colin Rosenstiel