Old January 21st 11, 11:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Decision date looms for Watford transport projects

Decision date looms for Watford transport projects

Watford Observer - 11:13am Friday 21st January 2011

A final decision on whether the Croxley rail link and Watford Junction
redevelopment projects will go ahead is due later this month, it has
been revealed.

During a debate on the Government's new White Paper on local
transport, led by Transport Minister Norman baker, Watford MP Richard
Harrington asked for news about when a decision might be made by the
Department of Transport.

He said: “In my constituency, we have two schemes that are before the
department [of transport]. As far as I can see, they are entirely
compatible with creating growth and cutting carbon through their
benefits to the local economy and taking people off the roads.

“Those are the Croxley rail link project and the Watford Junction
project. May we have a decision on them as soon as possible? I hope
that my honourable friend will be favourably inclined to grant them.”

Mr Baker replied: “I can assure him that the matters to which he
refers are under active consideration. A timetable has been published
and we will shortly be able to give him and others in the house
detailed information about the decisions to be taken.”

Following the debate, Mr Harrington said he would continue to “press
this issue” ahead of a decision due later this month.

He said: “Since my election I have been working hard with Watford
Borough Council to impress upon the Government the great benefits that
these projects would bring to our town.

“We have here a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, at relatively small
cost to the tax payer, to provide a regeneration of some of the
poorest areas of Watford, to create long lasting transport links and
bring much needed money and footfall to the town.

“I used the opportunity to speak today, to remind the minister the
importance of this vital project and to urge him to make a prompt and
favourable decision. I will continue to press this issue with
ministers in the forthcoming days before a final decision is made.”

John Burke
WRUG

Old January 21st 11, 12:44 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jan 21, 4:54*am, burkey wrote:
[...]

We can only hope. Well, I guess we can 'phone and e-mail our
representitives also. I just cannot believe a project that gives so
much for so little can take this long.