London Banter

-   -   Whats up with the Met line these days? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11760-whats-up-met-line-these.html)

[email protected] February 10th 11 08:32 AM

Whats up with the Met line these days?

It seems that virtually every morning on the travel news theres a problem
on it. Today it was overrunning engineering works, yesterday there was no
surface to aldgate and loads of issues last week too. Is this all down to the
S stock introduction or is the line just slowly falling to bits?

B2003

Adrian February 10th 11 03:20 PM

Whats up with the Met line these days?

d gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

It seems that virtually every morning on the travel news theres a
problem on it. Today it was overrunning engineering works, yesterday
there was no surface to aldgate and loads of issues last week too. Is
this all down to the S stock introduction or is the line just slowly
falling to bits?

It's already done that. They're attempting to put it back together -
which is why there's been no trains over a good proportion of weekends
for most of the last few years.

Jack Taylor February 10th 11 10:55 PM

d wrote:
It seems that virtually every morning on the travel news theres a
problem
on it. Today it was overrunning engineering works, yesterday there
was no surface to aldgate and loads of issues last week too. Is this
all down to the S stock introduction or is the line just slowly
falling to bits?

It's been a shambles for the 20+ years that I've been commuting into the
City - and I generally only do the 4 miles from Baker Street to Aldgate. The
smallest amount of rain and the signalling collapses. There's no capacity
for turning trains back, so they try and shovel them all down into the City
where, with only Moorgate and Aldgate to turn back, any westbound delays
prevent trains from returning, leading to a backlog eastbound as there's
nowhere to turn trains once all the bays are full. Every day it's the usual
"due to congestion in the City area trains are running slowly". It's a
complete farce - I can't wait until I retire!

As for the 'S' stock, it seems to be performing pretty well out on the Met
main, so I don't think that that has been a factor in the recent lousy
service levels.

Adrian February 11th 11 06:43 AM

Whats up with the Met line these days?

"Jack Taylor" gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

There's no capacity for turning trains back

Are you kidding me? The number of times I've been on trains heading in,
which are pulled at Harrow (and a few times at Wembley Park, Finchley
Road...)

[email protected] February 11th 11 09:01 AM

Whats up with the Met line these days?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 23:55:47 -0000
"Jack Taylor" wrote:
smallest amount of rain and the signalling collapses. There's no capacity
for turning trains back, so they try and shovel them all down into the City
where, with only Moorgate and Aldgate to turn back, any westbound delays

Closing the bay platform at liverpool street probably didn't help there.
I suppose if LU take over the old Thameslink trackbed to moorgate then
there'll be a lot more capacity though with all the cost cutting at the
moment I can't see it happening any time soon and by the time they do get
around to it no doubt the track will have decayed to a point where they
have to spend even more money to replace it all - unless someone is doing
residual maintenance on it.

B2003

Roy Stilling[_2_] February 11th 11 02:00 PM

On Feb 11, 5:01*am, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 23:55:47 -0000
I suppose if LU take over the old Thameslink trackbed to moorgate then
there'll be a lot more capacity though with all the cost cutting at the
moment I can't see it happening any time soon and by the time they do get
around to it no doubt the track will have decayed to a point where they
have to spend even more money to replace it all - unless someone is doing
residual maintenance on it.

I thought they were lifting the track, at least through Barbican.
They'd reached the tunnel mouth at the end of the platform when I was
last there at the start of January.
--
Roy

[email protected] February 11th 11 02:14 PM

Whats up with the Met line these days?

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:00:45 -0800 (PST)
Roy Stilling wrote:
I thought they were lifting the track, at least through Barbican.
They'd reached the tunnel mouth at the end of the platform when I was
last there at the start of January.

AFAIK they lifted it near farringdon to build that works ramp but last
time I was at Barbican - which admittedly was about 6 months back - it was
all still in situ. Perhaps thats changed, though the scrap value of the
track surely can't be worth the hassle of lifting it now theres no rail
connection to that branch.

B2003

Jack Taylor February 12th 11 01:01 AM

Roy Stilling wrote:
I thought they were lifting the track, at least through Barbican.
They'd reached the tunnel mouth at the end of the platform when I was
last there at the start of January.

AFAIK they lifted it near farringdon to build that works ramp but last
time I was at Barbican - which admittedly was about 6 months back -
it was all still in situ. Perhaps thats changed, though the scrap
value of the track surely can't be worth the hassle of lifting it now
theres no rail connection to that branch.

It's still there and the westbound line has now had all manner of detritus
dumped on it, including the monitors that used to be on the platforms.

Jack Taylor February 12th 11 01:02 AM

Adrian wrote:
"Jack Taylor" gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

There's no capacity for turning trains back

Are you kidding me? The number of times I've been on trains heading
in, which are pulled at Harrow (and a few times at Wembley Park,
Finchley Road...)

I was referring to the 'in town' section, specifically Baker Street to
Aldgate.

[email protected] February 12th 11 11:43 AM

Whats up with the Met line these days?

On 12/02/2011 02:02, Jack Taylor wrote:
Adrian wrote:
"Jack gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

There's no capacity for turning trains back

Are you kidding me? The number of times I've been on trains heading
in, which are pulled at Harrow (and a few times at Wembley Park,
Finchley Road...)

I was referring to the 'in town' section, specifically Baker Street to
Aldgate.

What about the points just east of KXSP?