London Banter

-   -   speeding by tube or by train (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11765-speeding-tube-train.html)

max February 12th 11 11:32 AM

speeding by tube or by train

Does actual tube transport in london goes faster than by train service?

Recliner[_2_] February 12th 11 11:36 AM

speeding by tube or by train

"max" wrote in message

Does actual tube transport in london goes faster than by train
service?

No, the trains run slower and stop much more often.

Roland Perry February 12th 11 12:07 PM

speeding by tube or by train

In message , at 12:36:44 on
Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Recliner remarked:
Does actual tube transport in london goes faster than by train
service?

No, the trains run slower

There speaks a man who doesn't use Thameslink very much :)

and stop much more often.

The stations are on average closer, but the trains rarely stop between
stations.

Recliner[_2_] February 12th 11 01:24 PM

speeding by tube or by train

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 12:36:44 on
Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Recliner remarked:
Does actual tube transport in london goes faster than by train
service?

No, the trains run slower

There speaks a man who doesn't use Thameslink very much :)

True, but I assume TL is only really slow in the Tube-like London Bridge
to SpI section? Away from there, it has 100mph trains, unlike the Tube,
which usually runs at below about 45mph.

Roland Perry February 12th 11 01:47 PM

speeding by tube or by train

In message , at 14:24:57 on
Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Recliner remarked:
Does actual tube transport in london goes faster than by train
service?

No, the trains run slower

There speaks a man who doesn't use Thameslink very much :)

True, but I assume TL is only really slow in the Tube-like London Bridge
to SpI section? Away from there, it has 100mph trains, unlike the Tube,
which usually runs at below about 45mph.

Although Luton to St Pancras on a stopper is 45 minutes, for about 33
miles; which is pretty tedious.

Recliner[_2_] February 12th 11 02:13 PM

speeding by tube or by train

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 14:24:57 on
Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Recliner remarked:
Does actual tube transport in london goes faster than by train
service?

No, the trains run slower

There speaks a man who doesn't use Thameslink very much :)

True, but I assume TL is only really slow in the Tube-like London
Bridge to SpI section? Away from there, it has 100mph trains,
unlike the Tube, which usually runs at below about 45mph.

Although Luton to St Pancras on a stopper is 45 minutes, for about 33
miles; which is pretty tedious.

Ah well, you have the choice of fast trains or stoppers, unlike on
almost all LU routes (and even on the 'fast' Picc and Met sections, the
trains rarely exceed 45mph).

[email protected] February 12th 11 05:01 PM

speeding by tube or by train

On 12/02/2011 15:13, Recliner wrote:
"Roland wrote in message

In , at 14:24:57 on
Sat, 12 Feb 2011, remarked:
Does actual tube transport in london goes faster than by train
service?

No, the trains run slower

There speaks a man who doesn't use Thameslink very much :)

True, but I assume TL is only really slow in the Tube-like London
Bridge to SpI section? Away from there, it has 100mph trains,
unlike the Tube, which usually runs at below about 45mph.

Although Luton to St Pancras on a stopper is 45 minutes, for about 33
miles; which is pretty tedious.

Ah well, you have the choice of fast trains or stoppers, unlike on
almost all LU routes (and even on the 'fast' Picc and Met sections, the
trains rarely exceed 45mph).

Will S stock trains exceed 45 miles on the surface sections?

I'm sure the A-stock exceeds 45 in those areas.

Clive February 12th 11 11:30 PM

speeding by tube or by train

In message , Richard J.
writes
I think only A stock on the Met ever went at 60mph. Don't know if it
still does. On the Piccadilly, 73 stock is limited to 45mph.

62 stock certainly went to 60 regularly on the outside sections of the
central line.
--
Clive

[email protected] February 12th 11 11:43 PM

speeding by tube or by train

On 13/02/2011 00:30, Clive wrote:
In message , Richard J.
writes
I think only A stock on the Met ever went at 60mph. Don't know if it
still does. On the Piccadilly, 73 stock is limited to 45mph.

62 stock certainly went to 60 regularly on the outside sections of the
central line.

Does it not still in some parts?

Recliner[_2_] February 13th 11 10:25 AM

speeding by tube or by train

wrote in message

On 12/02/2011 15:13, Recliner wrote:
"Roland wrote in message

In , at 14:24:57 on
Sat, 12 Feb 2011, remarked:
Does actual tube transport in london goes faster than by train
service?

No, the trains run slower

There speaks a man who doesn't use Thameslink very much :)

True, but I assume TL is only really slow in the Tube-like London
Bridge to SpI section? Away from there, it has 100mph trains,
unlike the Tube, which usually runs at below about 45mph.

Although Luton to St Pancras on a stopper is 45 minutes, for about
33 miles; which is pretty tedious.

Ah well, you have the choice of fast trains or stoppers, unlike on
almost all LU routes (and even on the 'fast' Picc and Met sections,
the trains rarely exceed 45mph).

Will S stock trains exceed 45 miles on the surface sections?

I'm sure the A-stock exceeds 45 in those areas.

Not by much these days, when I've measured it with a GPS.