Old February 22nd 11, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Walthamstow Stadium Bus Garage

I see from www.londonbusroutes.net that routes 212 and W12 are moving
to a new 'Walthamstow Stadium' bus garage from next month.

Does anyone know where this is, seeing as they haven't demolished the
old stadium?

Old February 22nd 11, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 22, 9:44*am, Paul wrote:
I see fromwww.londonbusroutes.netthat routes 212 and W12 are moving
to a new 'Walthamstow Stadium' bus garage from next month.

Does anyone know where this is, seeing as they haven't demolished the
old stadium?

I believe it is on the site of the stadium "overflow" car park across
the road from the stadium itself. It's between the church at the
Billet and the road round to Sainsbury's / Holiday Inn Express.

I'm slightly surprised to see a date as I was not aware that planning
approval for the change of use had been granted by the council. There
was certainly some local opposition if local newspaper headlines were
anything to go by.

HTH
--
Paul C
via Google
Old February 22nd 11, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 22, 12:57*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Feb 22, 9:44*am, Paul wrote:

I see fromwww.londonbusroutes.netthatroutes 212 and W12 are moving
to a new 'Walthamstow Stadium' bus garage from next month.

Does anyone know where this is, seeing as they haven't demolished the
old stadium?

I believe it is on the site of the stadium "overflow" car park across
the road from the stadium itself. It's between the church at the
Billet and the road round to Sainsbury's / Holiday Inn Express.

I'm slightly surprised to see a date as I was not aware that planning
approval for the change of use had been granted by the council. There
was certainly some local opposition if local newspaper headlines were
anything to go by.

HTH
--
Paul C
via Google

I would have thought that local opposition would be centred on efforts
to re-open the stadium as a greyhound racing venue. If a bus garage
were to be built on the car park site, then this would preclude the
site being used as a car park again if the stadium were to re-open.

Maybe the site is going to be used as an overnight car park for buses,
but I can't see that it is a good idea leaving the vehicles out in the
open in all weathers.
Old February 22nd 11, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

On Feb 22, 9:44 am, Paul wrote:
I see fromwww.londonbusroutes.netthat routes 212 and W12 are moving
to a new 'Walthamstow Stadium' bus garage from next month.

Does anyone know where this is, seeing as they haven't demolished the
old stadium?

I believe it is on the site of the stadium "overflow" car park across
the road from the stadium itself. It's between the church at the
Billet and the road round to Sainsbury's / Holiday Inn Express.

I'm slightly surprised to see a date as I was not aware that planning
approval for the change of use had been granted by the council. There
was certainly some local opposition if local newspaper headlines were
anything to go by.

I'd be pretty surprised if anything happens by next month given that there
is nothing other than windswept wasteland of weed strewn asphalt at the site
of the old carpark at the moment.

--
Cheers, Steve.

Old February 23rd 11, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 22, 9:04*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Feb 22, 9:44 am, Paul wrote:

[...]

To be honest I think that people need to get real and understand that
dog racing is not going to return to Walthamstow. The Stadium closed
because it was not making money - I just do not see how spending a
fortune on reopening the place will ever earn a return given the
declining level of interest in dog racing. *I can understand the
historic attachment to the venue and why people don't want to see the
place ripped down but hoping for a return to the glory days is just
misplaced. *I like the building but I'm not a fan of the sport - I once
went on a works do to Wimbledon Dog Track. I have never been so bored in
all my life.

It all depends on whether CT Plus are leasing the land or buying it. It
also depends on whether the council decide to impose conditions.

Maybe the site is going to be used as an overnight car park for buses,
but I can't see that it is a good idea leaving the vehicles out in the
open in all weathers.

Apparently it would be more than just a parking space - it would have
garage buildings etc. This is why I struggle to see how the site can
open in a matter of weeks. *There have been newspaper articles where CT
Plus claimed over 200 jobs would be progressively created at the site if
they were allowed to build the garage.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/new...INGFORD__Stow_...

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/w.../walthamforest...

--
Paul C- Hide quoted text -

I certainly agree about dog racing at Walthamstow and that people need
to get real. It wonder how many times all the people in the "Save Our
Stow" campaign actually visited the stadium before it closed. I have
only been there once, and I have lived in Walthamstow for 20 years.

No doubt if the car park were to be redeveloped as a bus garage, local
residents would be concerned about the perceived increase in traffic
levels. But if you want to have a bus service, then you have to have
a bus garage somewhere, and a vacant piece of land right next to a
roundabout on a major road seems as good a place as any. Also, if
they were that concerned about traffic in that area, then they would
campaign for Sainsburys to be closed.

Old February 24th 11, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 22, 9:44 am, Paul wrote:
I see fromwww.londonbusroutes.netthat routes 212 and W12 are moving
to a new 'Walthamstow Stadium' bus garage from next month.

Does anyone know where this is, seeing as they haven't demolished the
old stadium?

I believe it is on the site of the stadium "overflow" car park across
the road from the stadium itself. It's between the church at the
Billet and the road round to Sainsbury's / Holiday Inn Express.

I'm slightly surprised to see a date as I was not aware that planning
approval for the change of use had been granted by the council. There
was certainly some local opposition if local newspaper headlines were
anything to go by.

I'd be pretty surprised if anything happens by next month given that there
is nothing other than windswept wasteland of weed strewn asphalt at the site
of the old carpark at the moment.

no building work as of last week, when I passed it on the way to
Morrisons ?