Old May 3rd 11, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Black cab highway code

I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road, on a
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic behind to
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger all?

B2003

Old May 3rd 11, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
GT GT is offline

wrote in message
I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road, on
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic behind
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger
all?

B2003

Double red lines? What are they?

Old May 3rd 11, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"GT" wrote:
wrote in message
I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road, on
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic behind
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger
all?

B2003

Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx
Old May 3rd 11, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
GT GT is offline

"Bruce" wrote in message
"GT" wrote:
wrote in message
I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a
black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road,
on
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic
behind
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger
all?

B2003

Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

I have read that page, including reference to the PCNs, but are they
actually a recognised, enforcable highway code entity, or just London local
authority doing what it likes?

Old May 3rd 11, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"GT" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

I have read that page, including reference to the PCNs, but are they
actually a recognised, enforcable highway code entity

Did you bother to look at the HC before asking? If you had, you'd find
them in the "Signs & Markings" section.

Old May 3rd 11, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
GT GT is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
"GT" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

I have read that page, including reference to the PCNs, but are they
actually a recognised, enforcable highway code entity

Did you bother to look at the HC before asking?

No I didn't.

If you had, you'd find them in the "Signs & Markings" section.

Indeed I would!

Old May 3rd 11, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"GT" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
"GT" wrote:
Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

I have read that page, including reference to the PCNs, but are they
actually a recognised, enforcable highway code entity, or just London local
authority doing what it likes?

I believe specific legislation was passed - the Traffic Management Act
2004. This Act made specific reference only to London, however there
are also Red Routes in Birmingham.

The Act also refers to powers under the Highways Act 1980 and the Road
Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

This is far from being a complete answer to your question and I
present it only as a possible starting point for your research.

Old May 3rd 11, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 03 May 2011 16:01:42 +0100, Bruce wrote:

I believe specific legislation was passed - the Traffic Management Act
2004. This Act made specific reference only to London, however there
are also Red Routes in Birmingham.

All the red routes enforceable in Birmingham if the act only applies to
London?

Old May 6th 11, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Bruce" wrote:

"GT" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote:

"GT" wrote:
Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

I have read that page, including reference to the PCNs, but are they
actually a recognised, enforceable highway code entity, or just London
local
authority doing what it likes?

I believe specific legislation was passed - the Traffic Management Act
2004. This Act made specific reference only to London, however there
are also Red Routes in Birmingham.

The Act also refers to powers under the Highways Act 1980 and the Road
Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

This is far from being a complete answer to your question and I
present it only as a possible starting point for your research.

Red Routes in London have their genesis in the Road Traffic Act 1991, which
also established a new body, the Traffic Director for London (under the
Department of Transport), who was to establish and take control of a
Priority Route Network in London. The role of the Traffic Director for
London was subsumed by TfL on it's foundation in 2000, and the Priority
Route Network became the TLRN (or Transport for London Road Network -
initially called the Greater London Road Network I think).

The Red Routes in Birmingham will of course have some sort of statutory
basis - no mention of what that is on the Red Route section of the
Birmingham City Council website, but I'm sure if GT were to email them
then they'd reply with the required information.

Old May 3rd 11, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
GT GT is offline

"Bruce" wrote in message
"GT" wrote:
wrote in message
I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a
black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road,
on
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic
behind
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger
all?

B2003

Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

Oh and whats wrong with the standard double yellow lines - they mean no
stopping too!

Pedicabs: a public nuisance on the public highway Robin9 London Transport 13 December 26th 11 07:23 PM
The change in dialling code from 01 for London to 0171 & 0181 - Why t Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 1 November 19th 07 09:16 AM
Highway or the Myway? A new Code for light relief [email protected] London Transport 0 August 6th 06 11:07 PM
Bus 'Code Red' Stuart London Transport 6 March 18th 06 02:49 PM
Highway Code for Coach Drivers Joe London Transport 9 December 3rd 04 03:45 PM