Old May 3rd 11, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Black cab highway code

I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road, on a
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic behind to
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger all?

B2003

Old May 3rd 11, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
GT GT is offline

wrote in message
I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road, on
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic behind
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger
all?

B2003

Double red lines? What are they?

Old May 3rd 11, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road, on
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic behind
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger
all?

There are exemptions in the Highway Code permitting black cabs and minicabs
stopping wherever they bloody like and for using their horns at 10 o'clock
at night in residential areas.

Old May 3rd 11, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"GT" wrote:
wrote in message
I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road, on
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic behind
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger
all?

B2003

Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx
Old May 3rd 11, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 May 2011 15:10:36 +0100
"GT" wrote:
wrote in message
I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road, on
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic behind
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger
all?

B2003

Double red lines? What are they?

They mean don't stop no matter what in London or else. Though the "or else"
bit these days seems to mean "unless you really have to" rather than we'll
give you 3 points and tow your car like it should do.

B2003

Old May 3rd 11, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
GT GT is offline

"Bruce" wrote in message
"GT" wrote:
wrote in message
I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a
black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road,
on
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic
behind
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger
all?

B2003

Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

I have read that page, including reference to the PCNs, but are they
actually a recognised, enforcable highway code entity, or just London local
authority doing what it likes?

Old May 3rd 11, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
GT GT is offline

"Bruce" wrote in message
"GT" wrote:
wrote in message
I'm guessing there isn't one. Or they're exempt. Otherwise how can a
black
cab stop halfway across a signalled junction in the middle of the road,
on
corner, on double red lines in central london, blocking the traffic
behind
pick up a passenger and some plods in a van nearby do absolutely bugger
all?

B2003

Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

Oh and whats wrong with the standard double yellow lines - they mean no
stopping too!

Old May 3rd 11, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"GT" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
"GT" wrote:
Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

Oh and whats wrong with the standard double yellow lines - they mean no
stopping too!

The difference is that yellow lines allow brief stopping to pick up or
set down passengers whereas, on Red Routes, stopping is prohibited.

A single red line means no stopping during the prescribed hours stated
on roadside signs. Double red lines means no stopping at any time.

Old May 3rd 11, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"GT" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

Oh and whats wrong with the standard double yellow lines - they mean no
stopping too!

FFS... No, they don't.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum...ssets/@dg/@en/
documents/digitalasset/dg_070563.pdf
Old May 3rd 11, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"GT" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

I have read that page, including reference to the PCNs, but are they
actually a recognised, enforcable highway code entity

Did you bother to look at the HC before asking? If you had, you'd find
them in the "Signs & Markings" section.

Pedicabs: a public nuisance on the public highway Robin9 London Transport 13 December 26th 11 07:23 PM
The change in dialling code from 01 for London to 0171 & 0181 - Why t Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 1 November 19th 07 09:16 AM
Highway or the Myway? A new Code for light relief [email protected] London Transport 0 August 6th 06 11:07 PM
Bus 'Code Red' Stuart London Transport 6 March 18th 06 02:49 PM
Highway Code for Coach Drivers Joe London Transport 9 December 3rd 04 03:45 PM