Old May 4th 11, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default South West Trains diverted at Wimbledon?

I was travelling to Wimbledon on the District line around 8:15am
today, and passed a couple of South West Trains on the underground
tracks heading north. There was no obvious notice of a diversion at
Wimbledon Station. Does anyone know what was going on?

Peter

Old May 4th 11, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 4, 8:54*am, peter wrote:
I was travelling to Wimbledon on the District line around 8:15am
today, and passed a couple of South West Trains on the underground
tracks heading north. *There was no obvious notice of a diversion at
Wimbledon Station. *Does anyone know what was going on?

Peter

I've been on SW Trains journey over the LT line onto the Richmond line
at Clapham Junction within the last few years. This was becuause of
engineering works on the mainline. IIRC a connection between the two
Network Rail lines into Clapham Jct is kept in case they need to get a
crane around the scene of a rail crash in order to aid recvovery.

Neill
Old May 4th 11, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 4, 9:08*am, neill wrote:
On May 4, 8:54*am, peter wrote:

I was travelling to Wimbledon on the District line around 8:15am
today, and passed a couple of South West Trains on the underground
tracks heading north. *There was no obvious notice of a diversion at
Wimbledon Station. *Does anyone know what was going on?

Peter

I've been on SW Trains journey over the LT line onto the Richmond line
at Clapham Junction within the last few years. This was becuause of
engineering works on the mainline. IIRC a connection between the two
Network Rail lines into Clapham Jct is kept in case they need to get a
crane around the scene of a rail crash in order to aid recvovery.

Neill

A colleague has just arrived at work, and said there had been a
fatality at Clapham Junction.

Peter

Old May 4th 11, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"neill" wrote in message

I've been on SW Trains journey over the LT line onto the Richmond line
at Clapham Junction within the last few years. This was becuause of
engineering works on the mainline. IIRC a connection between the two
Network Rail lines into Clapham Jct is kept in case they need to get a
crane around the scene of a rail crash in order to aid recvovery.

Access for emergencies may well be a secondary use, but the main use is to
allow down trains to access Wimbledon Park depot without causing pathing
difficulties or conflicting moves crossing other lines. There are a number
of diagrammed moves over the course of a normal day that go via East Putney
(in both directions), 16 in total that I can find, of which at least 3 are
passenger services - these are early and late in the day to maintain route
knowledge so I expect many passengers are unaware of the possibility.

Paul S

Old May 4th 11, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/05/2011 08:54, peter wrote:
I was travelling to Wimbledon on the District line around 8:15am
today, and passed a couple of South West Trains on the underground
tracks heading north. There was no obvious notice of a diversion at
Wimbledon Station. Does anyone know what was going on?

There were lots of reports of a "fatality in the Clapham Junction area"
at about that time.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old May 4th 11, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote
"neill" wrote

[...]

Your "in both directions" is most interesting as is peter's "going
north". During my commuting years my train took that route a number of
times (to the considerable surprise of many passengers) but only in the
Down direction..

I thought I remembered discussions here that Up wasn't or couldn't be
used.

--
Mike D

Old May 4th 11, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/05/2011 23:57, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
Paul wrote
wrote

[...]

PSUL at http://www.avoe05.dsl.pipex.com/2011.htm shows booked services both
ways:

Point Pleasant Junction - East Putney (152,155,158) WH
0042 SX Waterloo - Strawberry Hill
0105 SX Waterloo - Southampton Central
0454 SuX Basingstoke - Waterloo

Old May 5th 11, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message

Your "in both directions" is most interesting as is peter's "going
north". During my commuting years my train took that route a number of
times (to the considerable surprise of many passengers) but only in the
Down direction..

I thought I remembered discussions here that Up wasn't or couldn't be
used.

There are certainly a majority of down trains, but the following up
direction trains run:

0454 Basingstoke to Waterloo (in service - as John Salmon noted earlier)
0505, 0519, 0534, 1638, ECS from Wimbledon Depot - Waterloo

So there's just that last one that 'normal people' are likely to see...

Paul S

Old May 5th 11, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

I've been on a train that went that way, when the line was closed at
Earlsfield.