Old May 6th 11, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston Square lifts

Does anyone fancy making a quick site survey for me?

Apparently there are two new lifts at Euston Square. One goes from the
westbound platform to the ticket hall (but the unpaid side!) and the
other from there to the street. Is this correct?

The lifts should be numbered 1 and 2. Which is which?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

Old May 6th 11, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 6 May 2011 18:06:50 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:
Apparently there are two new lifts at Euston Square.

Just went through there (sadly about 20 mins before reading this) and
did not notice them, sorry.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old May 6th 11, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
Does anyone fancy making a quick site survey for me?

Apparently there are two new lifts at Euston Square. One goes from the
westbound platform to the ticket hall (but the unpaid side!) and the
other from there to the street. Is this correct?

This seems correct from my memory of the (then closed) lifts last
time I past through the station.

Sadly, Euston Square is on the backup to the backup route to work,
so I don't know when I'll next naturally pass that way.

The lifts should be numbered 1 and 2. Which is which?

That I didn't note when I last went through.

--
Mike Bristow

Old May 6th 11, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
wrote:
The lifts should be numbered 1 and 2. Which is which?

That I'm not aware of. I think Bowroaduk's Flickr site might have some
photos - not sure if he has the numbers too.

checks

Lift 1 is street to ticket hall. Lift 2 is ticket hall to platform.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2477273...n/photostream/ -
other photos are adjacent to this one in his photostream.

Thanks.

Old May 9th 11, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 6, 6:06*pm, "Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:
Does anyone fancy making a quick site survey for me?

Apparently there are two new lifts at Euston Square. One goes from the
westbound platform to the ticket hall (but the unpaid side!) and the
other from there to the street. Is this correct?

The lifts should be numbered 1 and 2. Which is which?

--
Clive D.W. Feather * * * * * * * * *| Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 * * * * * * | Web: *http://www.davros.org

If the lift was from the platform to the unpaid side of the ticket
barrier, surely that would result in many unresolved journeys on
Oyster PAYG, plus being a charter for fare dodgers?

Old May 13th 11, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

One of the runsoff of fare evasion is that these two-step lifts are
thought necessary.

An in extremis example is at Westminster. There is no lift from the
street to the platforms; that would mean by-passing the ticket gates.
So there is a lift from the street to the ticket office level - one of
the shallowest lifts in London, I would think. It has the depth of
about a dozen steps. There is a similar sort of thing at the Borough
High St exit at London Bridge.

But ISTR that at Stratford there used to be a lift from the street to
either the Central Line or the Docklands, bypassing all the gates.
Old May 13th 11, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Offramp wrote:
But ISTR that at Stratford there used to be a lift from the street to
either the Central Line or the Docklands, bypassing all the gates.

There are holes in the Gateline already - Finchley Central is the
clasic example (I haven't been that way for a long time, so perhaps
it's been 'plugged' now), but I understand that the step free access
to the DLR at Bank avoids the gateline too...

--
Mike Bristow
Old May 13th 11, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 May 2011 01:23:20 -0700 (PDT), Offramp wrote:
One of the runsoff of fare evasion is that these two-step lifts are
thought necessary.

It isn't just fare evasion concerns that make two-step lifts
necessary. Just because I'm using a lift doesn't mean I already have a
ticket. London dwelling disabled people will probably have a FreedomPass
but they are very much in the minority of people I see using lifts
at stations.