London Banter

-   -   DMU's on Unusual Lines (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1199-dmus-unusual-lines.html)

Sharon & Gordon Thomson December 28th 03 02:53 PM

DMU's on Unusual Lines

Anyone know of examples where Diesel Units have travelled over lines in the
London Area normally the preserve of electric traction. For example would
they have been permitted to use the East London Line, any of the other LU
stretches or the route through Snow Hill tunnel?

--
gordon

Cast_Iron December 28th 03 04:21 PM

DMU's on Unusual Lines

"Sharon & Gordon Thomson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone know of examples where Diesel Units have travelled over lines in

the
London Area normally the preserve of electric traction. For example would
they have been permitted to use the East London Line, any of the other LU
stretches or the route through Snow Hill tunnel?

--

Services over the Widened Lines into Moorgate were both DMU and loco worked
until the late 70s.

Nigel Pendse December 28th 03 08:48 PM

DMU's on Unusual Lines

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message

"Sharon & Gordon Thomson" wrote
in message ...
Anyone know of examples where Diesel Units have travelled over lines
in the London Area normally the preserve of electric traction. For
example would they have been permitted to use the East London Line,
any of the other LU stretches or the route through Snow Hill tunnel?

--

Services over the Widened Lines into Moorgate were both DMU and loco
worked until the late 70s.

Presumably before the line was electrified? And of course the Snow Hill
tunnel had not been reopened then.

LU has (had?) a Class 20 loco which was used in the Steam on the Met
weekends, so you the spectacle of steam, diesel and electric loco hauled
trains running in parallel on LU lines (not just the fast lines routinely
used by Chiltern DMUs).

gwr4090 December 29th 03 06:48 AM

DMU's on Unusual Lines

In article ,
Sharon & Gordon Thomson wrote:
Anyone know of examples where Diesel Units have travelled over lines in
the London Area normally the preserve of electric traction. For example
would they have been permitted to use the East London Line, any of the
other LU stretches or the route through Snow Hill tunnel?

Royal Oak to Paddington on the H&C line, and occasionally to Edgware Road,
I believe.

David

Chippy December 29th 03 11:30 AM

DMU's on Unusual Lines

"Sharon & Gordon Thomson" wrote in message ...
Anyone know of examples where Diesel Units have travelled over lines in the
London Area normally the preserve of electric traction. For example would
they have been permitted to use the East London Line, any of the other LU
stretches or the route through Snow Hill tunnel?

I've vague recollections from the 1970s of BR DMUs providing an
emergency service at the eastern end of the Central line, but I can't
remember any details.

I've also seen a photo published of the BR track recording coach
sandwiched between to BR DEMU driving motors. The caption stated that
when this ensemble covered the Chesham branch it was used as a
passenger train (passengers travelling in the compartments of the
motor coaches) for pathing reasons.

Colin Rosenstiel December 29th 03 03:27 PM

DMU's on Unusual Lines

In article ,
(Chippy) wrote:

"Sharon & Gordon Thomson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone know of examples where Diesel Units have travelled over lines
in the London Area normally the preserve of electric traction. For
example would they have been permitted to use the East London Line,
any of the other LU stretches or the route through Snow Hill tunnel?

I've vague recollections from the 1970s of BR DMUs providing an
emergency service at the eastern end of the Central line, but I can't
remember any details.

I've also seen a photo published of the BR track recording coach
sandwiched between to BR DEMU driving motors. The caption stated that
when this ensemble covered the Chesham branch it was used as a
passenger train (passengers travelling in the compartments of the
motor coaches) for pathing reasons.

BR ran early morning services between Epping and Leytonstone (and
Stratford?) until the 1970s(?).

--
Colin Rosenstiel

JWBA68 December 29th 03 03:51 PM

DMU's on Unusual Lines

Anyone know of examples where Diesel Units have travelled over lines in the
London Area normally the preserve of electric traction. For example would
they have been permitted to use the East London Line, any of the other LU
stretches or the route through Snow Hill tunnel?

I saw a Class 150 running up the DC Lines between Bushey and Carpenders Park in
the aftermath of Hatfield.

Burkey

Bill Hayles December 30th 03 11:03 AM

DMU's on Unusual Lines

On 29 Dec 2003 04:30:08 -0800, (Chippy) wrote:

I've vague recollections from the 1970s of BR DMUs providing an
emergency service at the eastern end of the Central line, but I can't
remember any details.

After the Central Line took over the former LNER line from
Leytonstone to Ongar, there were a couple of steam and later DMU
workings from Liverpool Street (BR) to Loughton in the early
mornings until at least the early sixties. As a sad and anoraky
teenager, I rode on them a couple of times.

And, of course, the Ongar branch was steam operated until 1957,
although I don't know whether the trains concerned operated in
public service to and from the branch.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com

Colin Rosenstiel December 30th 03 02:27 PM

DMU's on Unusual Lines

In article , (Bill
Hayles) wrote:

On 29 Dec 2003 04:30:08 -0800,
(Chippy) wrote:

I've vague recollections from the 1970s of BR DMUs providing an
emergency service at the eastern end of the Central line, but I can't
remember any details.

After the Central Line took over the former LNER line from
Leytonstone to Ongar, there were a couple of steam and later DMU
workings from Liverpool Street (BR) to Loughton in the early
mornings until at least the early sixties. As a sad and anoraky
teenager, I rode on them a couple of times.

And, of course, the Ongar branch was steam operated until 1957,
although I don't know whether the trains concerned operated in
public service to and from the branch.

There were Epping to and from Liverpool St (BR) trains early on Sunday
mornings (only) in 1957/8 according to my Underground guide of that date.
Nothing in 1972.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Bill Hayles December 31st 03 10:02 AM

DMU's on Unusual Lines

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:27 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Bill
Hayles) wrote:

On 29 Dec 2003 04:30:08 -0800,
(Chippy) wrote:

I've vague recollections from the 1970s of BR DMUs providing an
emergency service at the eastern end of the Central line, but I can't
remember any details.

After the Central Line took over the former LNER line from
Leytonstone to Ongar, there were a couple of steam and later DMU
workings from Liverpool Street (BR) to Loughton in the early
mornings until at least the early sixties. As a sad and anoraky
teenager, I rode on them a couple of times.

And, of course, the Ongar branch was steam operated until 1957,
although I don't know whether the trains concerned operated in
public service to and from the branch.

There were Epping to and from Liverpool St (BR) trains early on Sunday
mornings (only) in 1957/8 according to my Underground guide of that date.
Nothing in 1972.

It would have been Sunday mornings when I travelled (on a Twin Rover
Ticket).

I think they ceased about 1964, but without the relevant Underground
Guide, I can't be sure - the date is purely from forty year old
memories.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com