London Banter

-   -   Calculating fares from boundary of one zone to another (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12040-calculating-fares-boundary-one-zone.html)

Ian F. May 29th 11 08:16 AM

Calculating fares from boundary of one zone to another

Is there an easy way to do this? I can't find anything on line to help to
work out what the balance would be from, say, boundary zone 3 into zone 4.
Unless I'm missing something which is quite feasible at my time of life.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Mizter T May 29th 11 08:37 AM

On May 29, 9:16*am, "Ian F." wrote:
Is there an easy way to do this? I can't find anything on line to help to
work out what the balance would be from, say, boundary zone 3 into zone 4..
Unless I'm missing something which is quite feasible at my time of life.

I assume you're referring to Oyster PAYG, what with your reference to
a 'balance'.

From the boundary of zone 3 (i.e. its outer edge) into zone 4, that
would just be a single fare for zone 4.

There a list of all the fares at the TfL-rate (Tube, DLR, LO and some
NR lines) here...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

....and on this page there's a list of fares at the NR-rate, and also
'through' NR+TfL fares (i.e. journeys that encompass both modes):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14414.aspx

So on the Tube an off-peak z4 fare would be £1.30, and a peak one
would be £1.40.

Roland Perry May 29th 11 08:41 AM

Calculating fares from boundary of one zone to another

In message , at 09:16:21 on Sun, 29 May
2011, Ian F. remarked:
Is there an easy way to do this? I can't find anything on line to help
to work out what the balance would be from, say, boundary zone 3 into
zone 4. Unless I'm missing something which is quite feasible at my time
of life.

My table below may help: eg BZ3 to Southall is "0042 to Southall" at
£1.70 SDS in NFM05

http://www.perry.co.uk/avantix_for_dummies.html

NB. Some routes don't have fares in NFM for this sort of ticket, GWML is
better than MML for example.

Mizter T May 29th 11 09:02 AM

On May 29, 9:41*am, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:16:21 on Sun, 29 May
2011, Ian F. remarked:

Is there an easy way to do this? I can't find anything on line to help
to work out what the balance would be from, say, boundary zone 3 into
zone 4. Unless I'm missing something which is quite feasible at my time
of life.

My table below may help: eg BZ3 to Southall is "0042 to Southall" at
£1.70 SDS in NFM05

http://www.perry.co.uk/avantix_for_dummies.html

NB. Some routes don't have fares in NFM for this sort of ticket, GWML is
better than MML for example.

I *think* the OP was talking about Oyster - but since you mention
Boundary Zone (paper ticket) fares, given that all rail fares in
London are calculated on a zonal basis these days (albeit issued as
point-to-point tickets), then BZ fares should all be the same as each
other regardless of the route - e.g. BZ3 to Southall, Norwood
Junction, Barking and Mill Hill Broadway (all stations in zone 4)
should all be the same.

(N.B. for the benefit of the OP - Boundary Zone fares only apply to
National Rail journeys, they're not available on the Tube - to extend
a Tube journey when using a paper ticket, one needs to buy a different
type of ticket extension before travelling.)

Roland Perry May 29th 11 02:06 PM

Calculating fares from boundary of one zone to another

In message
, at
01:37:28 on Sun, 29 May 2011, Mizter T remarked:
Is there an easy way to do this? I can't find anything on line to help to
work out what the balance would be from, say, boundary zone 3 into zone 4.
Unless I'm missing something which is quite feasible at my time of life.

I assume you're referring to Oyster PAYG, what with your reference to
a 'balance'.

From the boundary of zone 3 (i.e. its outer edge) into zone 4, that
would just be a single fare for zone 4.

If the OP meant a station which was on the boundary of Z3/4, wouldn't he
have said that? Rather than using "BZ3" which you later agree is a NR
ticket only.

Ian F. May 30th 11 07:52 AM

"Mizter T" wrote in message

I *think* the OP was talking about Oyster

Yes I was. Apologies for not being clearer. It's my wife's Oyster, which has
a Z1-3 Travelcard and some PAYG on it - we were actually travelling from Z3
to Z5 yesterday, which was why I asked.

Thanks to all for the info. She was actually charged £1.50.

Ian