Old June 9th 11, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Strike contingency plan Walthamstow to Heathrow

This year¢s London vacation is coming up, and what do you know? The RMT is
threatening to strike when one of us is flying home from Heathrow.

We are staying in Walthamstow, near Bakers Arms (Lea Bridge Road/Hoe
Street/High Road Leyton intersection)[1]. The flight is scheduled for
0950am on Thursday, June 30.

If there is no tube, how do we best get to Heathrow? I assume other
services are not affected.

-----
[1] At the King William the Fourth Bar and Hotel, actually. A fantastic pub
we discovered last year, with their own brewery next door, Brodie's Beers.
Recommended!

--
jhk

Old June 10th 11, 01:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jarle H Knudsen wrote on 09 June 2011 21:38:12 ...
This year’s London vacation is coming up, and what do you know? The RMT is
threatening to strike when one of us is flying home from Heathrow.

We are staying in Walthamstow, near Bakers Arms (Lea Bridge Road/Hoe
Street/High Road Leyton intersection)[1]. The flight is scheduled for
0950am on Thursday, June 30.

If there is no tube, how do we best get to Heathrow? I assume other
services are not affected.

Use the TfL Journey Planner and untick the Tube option.
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk

--
Richard J.
Old June 10th 11, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:38:12 on
Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Jarle H Knudsen remarked:
This year‚s London vacation is coming up, and what do you know? The RMT is
threatening to strike when one of us is flying home from Heathrow.

We are staying in Walthamstow, near Bakers Arms (Lea Bridge Road/Hoe
Street/High Road Leyton intersection)[1]. The flight is scheduled for
0950am on Thursday, June 30.

It often helps to say which terminal (or which airline so we can look it
up).

If there is no tube, how do we best get to Heathrow?
I assume other services are not affecte d.

That's a difficult journey even if everything's running. What time have
you been told to be at Heathrow - 0650 recommended I'd have thought.

Try a 'national rail' train from Walthamstow Central to Liverpool Street
[05:19 is the first], taxi to Paddington [5 miles], then Heathrow
Express [06.25 should be possible]. Or book a minicab all the way, which
should take less than an hour that time of day.
Old June 10th 11, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 01:52:47 on Fri, 10
Jun 2011, Richard J. remarked:

Use the TfL Journey Planner and untick the Tube option.
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk

That produces some very awkward bus journeys across Central London, and
an end-to end time around 2 hours.

It's an hour and 36 minutes when the tube's running (change at Finsbury
park), after a 3/4 mile walk to Walthamstow Central tube (maybe the OP
can find a bus for that).
Old June 10th 11, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 9:38*pm, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
This year s London vacation is coming up, and what do you know? The RMT is
threatening to strike when one of us is flying home from Heathrow.

We are staying in Walthamstow, near Bakers Arms (Lea Bridge Road/Hoe
Street/High Road Leyton intersection)[1]. The flight is scheduled for
0950am on Thursday, June 30.

If there is no tube, how do we best get to Heathrow? I assume other
services are not affected.

-----
[1] At the King William the Fourth Bar and Hotel, actually. A fantastic pub
we discovered last year, with their own brewery next door, Brodie's Beers..
Recommended!

--
jhk

I would seriously think about getting a minicab, either all the way to
Heathrow or to Paddington for the Heathrow Express. This would be
about £35.

If you do want to go by public transport, then it will have to be a
bus, and it will have to be sometime between 4am and 5am. Buses get
very crowded after that on tube strike days.

The first stop on bus no. 55 is virtually opposite the King William
The Fourth pub, outside Tescos, and the first bus departs at 4am,
which will take you to Oxford Circus, from where you can take a bus or
cab to Paddington.

The N26 from outside the pub will take you to Liverpool Street,
Aldwych and Trafalgar Square.

There are also night buses from round the croner in Lea Bridge Road,
on routes N55 (Oxford Circus) or N38 (Victoria).

I am sure Comrade Crow is just limbering up for the Olympics.

Old June 10th 11, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:19:26 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

It often helps to say which terminal (or which airline so we can look it
up).

Terminal 3.

If there is no tube, how do we best get to Heathrow?
I assume other services are not affecte d.

That's a difficult journey even if everything's running. What time have
you been told to be at Heathrow - 0650 recommended I'd have thought.

Three hours before the flight? Latest check in is 45 minutes before the
flight, according to the ticket (Scandinavian Arlines). I've always aimed
for two hours.

Try a 'national rail' train from Walthamstow Central to Liverpool Street
[05:19 is the first], taxi to Paddington [5 miles], then Heathrow
Express [06.25 should be possible].

I've been advised off-group by a frequent u.t.l poster that NXEA to
Liverpool Street gets very busy during tube strikes, and that Paddington
have been fairly hard to reach in previous strikes because the Circle / H&C
lines across the top of the circle have not run.

However, will The Chingford - Liverpool St service be too busy to travel
with heavy luggage as early as 6am?

If I punch in Walthamstow Central to paddington in the Journy Planner, it
suggests Bus 23 from Liverpool St Station to Paddington Station [1], taking
47 mins. Is that a bad idea?

Or book a minicab all the way, which should take less than an hour that time of day.

How much would that cost?

-----
[1] If i put in Walthamstow Central to Heathrow Terminals 1-3 instead, it
says Bus 214 from Liverpool St to Mornington Crescent Station and then Bus
27 to Paddington. (Both Journeys starting at 6:04 from Walthamstow
Central.) Strange.

--
jhk
Old June 10th 11, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 9:38*pm, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
This year s London vacation is coming up, and what do you know? The RMT is
threatening to strike when one of us is flying home from Heathrow.

We are staying in Walthamstow, near Bakers Arms (Lea Bridge Road/Hoe
Street/High Road Leyton intersection)[1]. The flight is scheduled for
0950am on Thursday, June 30.

If there is no tube, how do we best get to Heathrow? I assume other
services are not affected.

Maybe OverGround train service from Blackhorse Road to Gospel Oak,
then Overground train Service Gospel Oak to Richmond.
Then train from Richmond to Feltham, from Feltham 285 bus for
terminals 1,2,3, or 490 bus for terminal 5.
If you want Terminal 4 get either bus and get of at Hatton Cross and
get any Terminal 4 bus from there. All these services run frequently.
JohnLon

Old June 10th 11, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 00:39:14 -0700 (PDT)
Paul wrote:
I would seriously think about getting a minicab, either all the way to
Heathrow or to Paddington for the Heathrow Express. This would be
about =A335.

Agreed. Public transport is a dead loss for getting to airports - it'll
always let you down just when you don't want it to. I never use it to get
to heathrow or gatwick anymore after too many close calls in the past.

B2003

Old June 10th 11, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:22:22 on
Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Jarle H Knudsen remarked:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:19:26 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

It often helps to say which terminal (or which airline so we can look it
up).

Terminal 3.

Thanks.

If there is no tube, how do we best get to Heathrow?
I assume other services are not affecte d.

That's a difficult journey even if everything's running. What time have
you been told to be at Heathrow - 0650 recommended I'd have thought.

Three hours before the flight? Latest check in is 45 minutes before the
flight, according to the ticket (Scandinavian Arlines). I've always aimed
for two hours.

Europe - 2hrs. At an airport like Heathrow, 45mins is extremely tight
(and probably a figure they quote for all airports big and small).

Try a 'national rail' train from Walthamstow Central to Liverpool Street
[05:19 is the first], taxi to Paddington [5 miles], then Heathrow
Express [06.25 should be possible].

I've been advised off-group by a frequent u.t.l poster that NXEA to
Liverpool Street gets very busy during tube strikes,

Maybe not so bad a 6am though.

and that Paddington
have been fairly hard to reach in previous strikes because the Circle / H&C
lines across the top of the circle have not run.

Hence the taxi (or if you allow enough time, some buses).

However, will The Chingford - Liverpool St service be too busy to travel
with heavy luggage as early as 6am?

I very much doubt it will be busy that early. The trains don't even
start running till 5.19am (at Walthamstow).

If I punch in Walthamstow Central to paddington in the Journy Planner, it
suggests Bus 23 from Liverpool St Station to Paddington Station [1], taking
47 mins. Is that a bad idea?

Buses not always much fun with lots of luggage - but maybe you could
test this out when you first get to London.

Or book a minicab all the way, which should take less than an hour
that time of day.

How much would that cost?

You have to ask around in Walthamstow or check online. £50-£60 I guess.
Send the bill to the RMT!

-----
[1] If i put in Walthamstow Central to Heathrow Terminals 1-3 instead, it
says Bus 214 from Liverpool St to Mornington Crescent Station and then Bus
27 to Paddington. (Both Journeys starting at 6:04 from Walthamstow
Central.) Strange.

Journey planners are like that. They are picking the bus to get you
their first, given your arrival time at the station.
Old June 10th 11, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
01:36:21 on Fri, 10 Jun 2011, JohnLon remarked:
Maybe OverGround train service from Blackhorse Road to Gospel Oak,
then Overground train Service Gospel Oak to Richmond.
Then train from Richmond to Feltham, from Feltham 285 bus for
terminals 1,2,3, or 490 bus for terminal 5.

Sounds great as a day out, but the OP's got a plane to catch!!