London Banter

-   -   Commute from Chesham to S. Bush via A40 - bad idea? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12092-commute-chesham-s-bush-via.html)

[email protected] June 27th 11 07:58 AM

Commute from Chesham to S. Bush via A40 - bad idea?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message
p.homeip.net, at
00:00:00 on Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Paul Cummins
remarked:

Do we know anywhere else that has bus lanes
where the buses start a good hour after the restriction begins?

Basingstoke's two bus lanes are 24 hour.

Basingstoke buses are no more than 18 hours a day.

I think we can forgive that kind of thing.

What's more difficult is a situation like Cambridge where a road's
bus lane was extended to Sundays for one bus every half hour (like
weekdays, 7am to 7pm; but the first bus Sunday is at 9.30am).

But there is no traffic level justification for hugely complicating the
signage for the bus lanes.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry June 27th 11 08:38 AM

Commute from Chesham to S. Bush via A40 - bad idea?

In message , at 02:58:53
on Mon, 27 Jun 2011, remarked:

What's more difficult is a situation like Cambridge where a road's
bus lane was extended to Sundays for one bus every half hour (like
weekdays, 7am to 7pm; but the first bus Sunday is at 9.30am).

But there is no traffic level justification for hugely complicating the
signage for the bus lanes.

I didn't find the earlier "Mon-Sat, 7am-7pm" signage hugely
complicated.

There's a time and place for 24x7 bus lanes (or even 12x7), but Victoria
Avenue in Cambridge isn't one of them.

Basil Jet[_2_] June 27th 11 12:55 PM

On 2011\06\27 09:38, Roland Perry wrote:

There's a time and place for 24x7 bus lanes

No, there's just a place for them.

Roland Perry June 27th 11 02:48 PM

Commute from Chesham to S. Bush via A40 - bad idea?

In message , at 13:55:28 on
Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Basil Jet remarked:

There's a time and place for 24x7 bus lanes

No, there's just a place for them.

The time is "when traffic on the route gets heavy enough to justify
them". It's not "when we want to stop parking along that road in the
evening and weekends, and a 24x7 bus lane is the simplest measure to get
approved".

[email protected] June 27th 11 05:23 PM

Commute from Chesham to S. Bush via A40 - bad idea?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
02:58:53 on Mon, 27 Jun 2011,
remarked:

What's more difficult is a situation like Cambridge where a road's
bus lane was extended to Sundays for one bus every half hour (like
weekdays, 7am to 7pm; but the first bus Sunday is at 9.30am).

But there is no traffic level justification for hugely complicating the
signage for the bus lanes.

I didn't find the earlier "Mon-Sat, 7am-7pm" signage hugely
complicated.

You seemed to be advocating different start times on Sundays.

There's a time and place for 24x7 bus lanes (or even 12x7), but
Victoria Avenue in Cambridge isn't one of them.

Just as well Victoria Avenue isn't 24x7 then.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry June 27th 11 05:50 PM

Commute from Chesham to S. Bush via A40 - bad idea?

In message , at 12:23:22
on Mon, 27 Jun 2011, remarked:

What's more difficult is a situation like Cambridge where a road's
bus lane was extended to Sundays for one bus every half hour (like
weekdays, 7am to 7pm; but the first bus Sunday is at 9.30am).

But there is no traffic level justification for hugely complicating the
signage for the bus lanes.

I didn't find the earlier "Mon-Sat, 7am-7pm" signage hugely
complicated.

You seemed to be advocating different start times on Sundays.

I'm saying it shouldn't be active on Sundays. The late start to the bus
service is just one of the reasons.

There's a time and place for 24x7 bus lanes (or even 12x7), but
Victoria Avenue in Cambridge isn't one of them.

Just as well Victoria Avenue isn't 24x7 then.

It's not the place for the 12x7 variant.

[email protected] June 27th 11 09:34 PM

Commute from Chesham to S. Bush via A40 - bad idea?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
12:23:22 on Mon, 27 Jun 2011,
remarked:

What's more difficult is a situation like Cambridge where a road's
bus lane was extended to Sundays for one bus every half hour (like
weekdays, 7am to 7pm; but the first bus Sunday is at 9.30am).

But there is no traffic level justification for hugely complicating
the signage for the bus lanes.

I didn't find the earlier "Mon-Sat, 7am-7pm" signage hugely
complicated.

You seemed to be advocating different start times on Sundays.

I'm saying it shouldn't be active on Sundays. The late start to the
bus service is just one of the reasons.

There's a time and place for 24x7 bus lanes (or even 12x7), but
Victoria Avenue in Cambridge isn't one of them.

Just as well Victoria Avenue isn't 24x7 then.

It's not the place for the 12x7 variant.

The bus lane is there when it is needed which includes Sundays.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry June 28th 11 06:37 AM

Commute from Chesham to S. Bush via A40 - bad idea?

In message , at 16:34:20
on Mon, 27 Jun 2011, remarked:

Just as well Victoria Avenue isn't 24x7 then.

It's not the place for the 12x7 variant.

The bus lane is there when it is needed which includes Sundays.

For a bus every half hour. You are 'aving a larf! Is there even a
traffic queue ?

Robin9 June 28th 11 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-o (Post 120760)
We haven't undertaken the route in the mornings yet. I intend to drive it tomorrow morning but Friday traffic generally seems lighter so may not give us a "typical" journey time.

Steve

How did your "test run" go?