London Banter

-   -   TfL's bid to control trains has much going for it - Mark Hansford (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12139-tfls-bid-control-trains-has.html)

1506[_2_] July 17th 11 07:34 PM

TfL's bid to control trains has much going for it - Mark Hansford

On Jul 17, 2:35*am, "
wrote:
On 17/07/2011 09:29, 1506 wrote:

On Jul 17, 12:09 am, Paul *wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 13:51:36 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 16, 1:29 pm,
wrote:
On 15/07/2011 15:21, 1506 wrote:
The performance of the Metropolitan Line Vs. Chiltern tells a very
different story.

How so?

Chiltern's level of comfort, PIS, punctuality, et al, far exceeds LU's
on the London Amersham route.

Based on what evidence and over what time period please?

Haha, I have been familier with the route on and off almost all of my
life. *But lets just look at the current incarnation: *How do the
passenger facilities at Baker Street compare with Marylebone? *Think
about platform indicators, and concourse spaciousness? *Does Baker
Street have an M&S food outlet? *Can Baker Street handle wheelchair
users? *Do you have any gentleman's or lady's rooms at Baker Street?

The rolling stock: Do you really think "S" stock with its lack of
seating, not to mention WCs, compares to 166s? *Consider the height of
the seat backs and seat comfort levels, which is the better? *"S"
stock may be fine for short journeys on the Circle Line. *I would not
wish it on anyone for a trip to the County of Buckingham. *One can
only pity those with back problems.

I recently took a ride out to Chesham on an S-8 -- not very comfortable
at all, really. It makes me think that I will miss the 62A stock.

The wrong stock for that route. The Metropolitan Railway ran Pulman
cars thereon. It is hard to imagine that now isn't it?

I notice that they don't have any space that allows you to comfiortable
stand by the doors, without getting in the way of embarking and
disembarking passengers.

Probably a design feature . . . Seriously.

"S" Stock should stay on the H&C and Circle where it truly belongs.

[email protected] July 17th 11 09:12 PM

TfL's bid to control trains has much going for it - Mark Hansford

On 17/07/2011 20:34, 1506 wrote:
On Jul 17, 2:35 am,
wrote:
On 17/07/2011 09:29, 1506 wrote:

On Jul 17, 12:09 am, Paul wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 13:51:36 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 16, 1:29 pm,
wrote:
On 15/07/2011 15:21, 1506 wrote:
[...]

The one thing I must say that I did like about the S-8s were the large
bay windows. When sitting down.

I also found that they rode a bit rough.

I notice that they don't have any space that allows you to comfiortable
stand by the doors, without getting in the way of embarking and
disembarking passengers.

Probably a design feature . . . Seriously.

Undoubtedly, to keep people from crowding around the doors.

"S" Stock should stay on the H&C and Circle where it truly belongs.

Or they could have properly modified the parlours for the S-8s when
building them.

Charles Ellson July 17th 11 09:25 PM

TfL's bid to control trains has much going for it - Mark Hansford

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 22:12:34 +0100, "
wrote:

On 17/07/2011 20:34, 1506 wrote:
On Jul 17, 2:35 am,
wrote:
On 17/07/2011 09:29, 1506 wrote:

On Jul 17, 12:09 am, Paul wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 13:51:36 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 16, 1:29 pm,
wrote:
On 15/07/2011 15:21, 1506 wrote:
[...]

So did A stock at various locations. Wembley used to be particularly
rough but that seemed to have been cured a few years back with one of
the major bits of track renewal.

Mizter T July 18th 11 11:00 AM

"1506" wrote:

On Jul 17, 9:43 am, 1506 wrote:

Chiltern's level of comfort, PIS, punctuality, et al, far exceeds
LU's
on the London Amersham route.

Based on what evidence and over what time period please?

Based on close observation and first hand experience from the far side
of the continent on the other side of the Atlantic, one assumes.

Which btw is not so odd as your friend "Timmy the terrorist supporter"
who believes who knows more about US politics than those who live and
vote there.

And I took you for one of the brighter folk here. :-(

Do grow up and stop being so pathetic.

1506[_2_] July 18th 11 11:54 AM

On Jul 18, 4:00*am, "Mizter T" wrote:
"1506" wrote:

On Jul 17, 9:43 am, 1506 wrote:

Chiltern's level of comfort, PIS, punctuality, et al, far exceeds
LU's
on the London Amersham route.

Based on what evidence and over what time period please?

Based on close observation and first hand experience from the far side
of the continent on the other side of the Atlantic, one assumes.

Which btw is not so odd as your friend "Timmy the terrorist supporter"
who believes who knows more about US politics than those who live and
vote there.

And I took you for one of the brighter folk here. :-(

Do grow up and stop being so pathetic.

Rather than respond imediately, I am giving you time to withdraw that
remark. Do consider doing so.

1506[_2_] July 18th 11 12:06 PM

TfL's bid to control trains has much going for it - Mark Hansford

On Jul 17, 2:12*pm, "
wrote:
On 17/07/2011 20:34, 1506 wrote:

On Jul 17, 2:35 am,
wrote:
On 17/07/2011 09:29, 1506 wrote:

On Jul 17, 12:09 am, Paul * *wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 13:51:36 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 16, 1:29 pm,
wrote:
On 15/07/2011 15:21, 1506 wrote:
[...]

That would have been an option, much as electric units operating south
of the Thames come in Metro, and Suburban, versions.

Mizter T July 18th 11 12:25 PM

"1506" wrote:

Which btw is not so odd as your friend "Timmy the terrorist supporter"
who believes who knows more about US politics than those who live and
vote there.

And I took you for one of the brighter folk here. :-(

Do grow up and stop being so pathetic.

Rather than respond imediately, I am giving you time to withdraw that
remark. Do consider doing so.

Stop being so ridiculously pompous Adrian.

Ivor July 18th 11 05:00 PM

TfL's bid to control trains has much going for it - Mark Hansford

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 04:54:06 -0700 (PDT), 1506
wrote:

On Jul 18, 4:00*am, "Mizter T" wrote:

Do grow up and stop being so pathetic.

Rather than respond imediately, I am giving you time to withdraw that
remark. Do consider doing so.

What he said.

Please collect the toys thrown out of the pram as you leave.

Ross[_3_] July 18th 11 09:42 PM

TfL's bid to control trains has much going for it - Mark Hansford

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:45:26 +0000 (UTC) [UTC],
d wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:44:41 +0000 (UTC)
wrote:
a what seemed like 25mph max trundle all the way to my stop with 30 waits
at every station whether anyone got out or not. If TfL are modelling the

That should have read 30 second waits at every station.

30 seconds is the standard station allowance - i.e. the length of time
each stop should take, wheels stop to wheels roll.
If the waits at every station were 30 seconds with the doors unlocked,
it sounds like they're using 1 minute stations tops, which is probably
to give a consistent timetable all day - 1 minute stops will be needed
at busier times of day but not at quieter times, so to give the
"clock-face" timetable of trains leaving at the same minutes past each
hour, the longer stops are used all day.

I've had a nose at the NESA (Sectional Appendix) pages for the Anglia
section of the ELL, and your comment about the speed won't have been
far wrong - much of the line (at least between Highbury & New Cross
Gate) is 25 or 30mph, with some stretches of 40. A bit of a stagger!
--
Ross

Speaking for me, myself and I. Nobody else
- unless I make it clear that I am...

Ross[_3_] July 18th 11 09:45 PM

TfL's bid to control trains has much going for it - Mark Hansford

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 01:38:59 -0700 (PDT) [UTC], 1506 wrote:

[...]
Do not assume.

Why ever not?

You do it all the time, after all, so we're only doing as you do...