Old August 17th 11, 06:01 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default E-petition: "Re Nationalise Railways"

On Aug 17, 2:51*am, Charlie Hulme
wrote:
On 17/08/2011 10:32, 1506 wrote:

Having been away for many years, one is pleasantly surprised by the
improvements the badly designed privatization has brought about.
South West Trains is on a whole new level of comfort compared to BR.

They came along just at the time when new rolling stock needed to
be ordered. I think we can safely assume that slam-door stock
would not be running today if BR had survived at it was ... or
been allowed to bid for franchises as has happened elsewhere with
the state railway organisations. BR could have been running some
Bavarian branch lines by now!

Charlie

That does not explain the other improvements. SWT stations are in
much better shape. Their staff shows an appropriate level of respect
for the customers. The trains are reasonably timely.

New Southern Railway is pretty good. Except that their services stop
at the sight of a snowflake.

First Great Western is not at all impressive, what with dirty trains
and surly staff.

The worst is TfL; the London Subway is dirty, hot, unreliable, and
staffed, in my experience, by jobsworths.

OTOH, I am impressed by the LUL station dwell times. As soon as the
train has stopped the doors open. The doors remain open just long
enough, close, and the train pulls away. Now if SWT could achieve the
same it would be a great improvement. After their trains stop it
takes several second for the open door LEDs to light. Then the
station dwell times tend to be excessive.

Old August 17th 11, 06:30 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2011 19:01, 1506 wrote:

The worst is TfL; the London Subway is dirty, hot, unreliable, and
staffed, in my experience, by jobsworths.

So, depending on the exact problem to be solved, go to Greggs or use a
pelican crossing.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 17th 11, 06:35 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Arthur Figgis" wrote:

On 17/08/2011 19:01, 1506 wrote:

The worst is TfL; the London Subway is dirty, hot, unreliable, and
staffed, in my experience, by jobsworths.

So, depending on the exact problem to be solved, go to Greggs or use a
pelican crossing.

:-)

(Is a busker a "jobsworth"? They are capable of being deliberately
obstructive at times...)

Old August 17th 11, 07:18 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

why not go the whole way?

http://www.financialreform.info/f_r_...ne_letter.html

http://www.financialreform.info/f_r_free_travel.html

Old August 17th 11, 07:29 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 17/08/2011 10:32, 1506 wrote:

Having been away for many years, one is pleasantly surprised by the
improvements the badly designed privatization has brought about.
South West Trains is on a whole new level of comfort compared to BR.

They came along just at the time when new rolling stock needed to
be ordered. I think we can safely assume that slam-door stock
would not be running today if BR had survived at it was ... or
been allowed to bid for franchises as has happened elsewhere with
the state railway organisations. BR could have been running some
Bavarian branch lines by now!

Charlie

That does not explain the other improvements. *SWT stations are in
much better shape. *Their staff shows an appropriate level of respect
for the customers. *The trains are reasonably timely.

Considering that you live in the United States (do correct me if I'm
wrong), I hardly think you're in a position to lecture us on how
wonderful the privatised railway is in Britain. It's very easy to
spout on about recent improvements (real or imaginary) while
pretending that if BR had never been broken up and privatised, the
railway today would be exactly the same as it was in the mid 1990s,
except that the trains and infrastructure would all have aged by
another fifteen years or so. British taxpayers like me are giving five
times as much money to the privatised rail industry as we did to BR.
Are today's passengers experiencing corresponding benefits to justify
this? I don't think so. Rail privatisation was a victory for
capitalist ideology; in all other respects it has been a spectacular
failure of scandalous proportions. The Tories won't admit it has
failed; certainly not as long as there are other public assets left
that they want to see flogged off for short-term gain.

The worst is TfL; the London Subway is dirty, hot, unreliable, and
staffed, in my experience, by jobsworths.

Predictably, the worst of your double-barrelled venom is reserved for
TfL, as a government body. If privatisation of the main GB railways
has been so successful in your view, why are we not hearing constant
calls - from passengers, staff or even backbench Tory MPs - for the
complete privatisation of the London Underground (or, for that matter,
Translink), so that more of us can benefit from the same ever-so-
efficient privately run transport Utopia?

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/630

Old August 18th 11, 07:07 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2011 20:29, Railsigns.co.uk wrote:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/630

I would sign th e-petition, but so far I have been unable to sign any.
When I got the e-mail to confirm my identity, the link took me back to
the signing page.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman
Old August 18th 11, 05:12 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsigns.co.uk View Post

It's very easy to spout on about recent improvements (real or imaginary) while pretending that if BR had never been broken up and privatised, the
railway today would be exactly the same as it was in the mid 1990s,
except that the trains and infrastructure would all have aged by
another fifteen years or so. British taxpayers like me are giving five
times as much money to the privatised rail industry as we did to BR.
Are today's passengers experiencing corresponding benefits to justify
this? I don't think so. Rail privatisation was a victory for
capitalist ideology; in all other respects it has been a spectacular
failure of scandalous proportions. The Tories won't admit it has
failed; certainly not as long as there are other public assets left
that they want to see flogged off for short-term gain.
[color=blue][i]
Does anyone have any real idea of what the railway system would be like today if it had not been privatised?

You are quite right to point out that we taxpayers are paying far more in subsidies than ever we did when the railways were nationalised but you are slightly off target about the privatisation. First, it was not a victory only for capitalist ideology (or Tory dogma). It was also a victory for spivery on a huge scale.

John Major's government knowingly undervalued the railway assets massively and stipulated that a large percentage of the shares were to be reserved for big financial institutions. In other words the Tory's friends in the City were given a vast profit for doing nothing and the British people were defauded of part of the value of their assets. I'm quite sure those institutions were very grateful to John Major and his government and I take it for granted that they expressed their gratitude in a way that John Major and his colleagues found most satisfying. I'm also sure that Tony Blair and Gordon Brown took note of what was going on and decided that they too would help the big financial institutions when it was their turn to ruin the country. That, beyond rational dispute, was why they persisted with PPP even when it had been proved comprehensively to be against the public interest; and that, beyond rational dispute, is why Tony Blair puts it about that he has earned millions since leaving office.

Second, privatisation has not been a total failure. The railways are now doing more business than previously including freight. I doubt if that increase would have occured under public ownership.

Last edited by Robin9 : August 18th 11 at 08:17 PM Reason: typo
Old August 18th 11, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin9" wrote in message
[color=blue][i]
Railsigns.co.uk;122015 Wrote:

[...]

Could you be more specific on this? After all, the Roscos and Tocs were
not owned by the City institutions at privatisation, and nor was
Railtrack. So, which financial institutions exactly benefited from these
reserved shares?

On the other hand, a lot of lawyers and accountants did very well out of
the complex restructuring. They didn't buy any part of the system, but
were well paid for helping carve it up.

Major's government probably did sell it all off too cheaply, not so much
as to benefit their pals, but to make sure it all got sold off before
they lost power. They also made it as complex as possible for an
incoming Labour government to re-nationalise it. So it was ideology (and
incompetence by a tired, failing government), not spivery, at work.

Old August 19th 11, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

In message
, at
00:46:33 on Fri, 19 Aug 2011, 1506 remarked:
Second, privatisation has not been a total failure. The railways are now
doing more business than previously including freight. I doubt if that
increase would have occured under public ownership.

The low price was probably to ensure that the sale succeeded.

As is always the case with such privatisations. My recollection is that
there was considerable doubt that anyone would want to buy what was a
run-down network with falling passenger numbers.
Old August 19th 11, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message
,
at 00:46:33 on Fri, 19 Aug 2011, 1506 remarked:
Second, privatisation has not been a total failure. The railways
are now doing more business than previously including freight. I
doubt if that increase would have occured under public ownership.

The low price was probably to ensure that the sale succeeded.

As is always the case with such privatisations. My recollection is
that there was considerable doubt that anyone would want to buy what
was a run-down network with falling passenger numbers.

Indeed, and if such a sale had succeeded, there would now be much
wailing and gnashing of teeth at the low price that was paid for
something now deemed to be much more valuable.