Old August 27th 11, 10:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Paddington Station Flooded

On 26/08/2011 22:09, Andy Breen wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:52:38 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 26/08/2011 21:11, Andy Breen wrote:

For the SJ commuter trains, you'd need to change at Upplands-Visby.
That option was certainly in place when I went through Arlanda in '05
on my way to Kiruna, but as I said it seemed silly to make life more
difficult for the sake of saving a small amount.

It was after 2005 that that I went. I didn't find a local train option,
and the airport information desk explicitly denied that it was possible
- it was airport shuttle trains or road.

So you asked about trains to Upplands-Visby, then?

Probably something like "is there a way to get to central Stockholm by
train which is cheaper than the Arlanda Express?". Which would in theory
cover going via Narvik and pogo stick connection to Bodo, should that be
an option.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old August 27th 11, 10:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:00:50 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

[...]

It's quite possible that going via Upplands-Visby wasn't/isn't cheaper.
Not sure how SJ was doing their ticketing then. But it's been there
as an option for a while.

If you want cheap, get the bus. That certainly existed then, too, but as I
said I didn't feel like being silly for the sake of a small amount of money.
The Arlanda Express was there, convenient and did the job. What more do you
want?

--
From the Model M of Andy Breen, speaking only for himself
Old August 27th 11, 10:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/08/2011 11:14, Andy Breen wrote:
[...]

I'm from Yorkshire, so cheap. (I don't use the Gatwick or Heathrow
expresses either)

--
Arthur Figgis
Old August 27th 11, 11:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:35:12 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 27/08/2011 11:14, Andy Breen wrote:

Arlanda

If you want cheap, get the bus. That certainly existed then, too, but
as I said I didn't feel like being silly for the sake of a small amount
of money. The Arlanda Express was there, convenient and did the job.
What more do you want?

I'm from Yorkshire, so cheap. (I don't use the Gatwick or Heathrow
expresses either)

If you wanted cheap, then why on Earth were you in Sweden? It doesn't
seem to fit, somehow..

(and yes, I've done Sweden the cheap way - three in a car driving non-
stop apart from sleep-breaks in laybys all the way from Gothenburg
to Kiruna. Been there, done that, have no intention of ever doing it
again..)

--
From the Model M of Andy Breen, speaking only for himself
Old August 27th 11, 11:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/08/2011 12:17, Andy Breen wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:35:12 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 27/08/2011 11:14, Andy Breen wrote:

Arlanda

If you want cheap, get the bus. That certainly existed then, too, but
as I said I didn't feel like being silly for the sake of a small amount
of money. The Arlanda Express was there, convenient and did the job.
What more do you want?

I'm from Yorkshire, so cheap. (I don't use the Gatwick or Heathrow
expresses either)

If you wanted cheap, then why on Earth were you in Sweden? It doesn't
seem to fit, somehow..

So I could colour it in on my Thomas Cook map. Saving money on the
trains allows it to be spent on frivolous stuff, like eating.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old August 27th 11, 11:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 12:48:04 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 27/08/2011 12:17, Andy Breen wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:35:12 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 27/08/2011 11:14, Andy Breen wrote:

Arlanda

If you want cheap, get the bus. That certainly existed then, too, but
as I said I didn't feel like being silly for the sake of a small
amount of money. The Arlanda Express was there, convenient and did
the job. What more do you want?

I'm from Yorkshire, so cheap. (I don't use the Gatwick or Heathrow
expresses either)

If you wanted cheap, then why on Earth were you in Sweden? It doesn't
seem to fit, somehow..

So I could colour it in on my Thomas Cook map. Saving money on the
trains allows it to be spent on frivolous stuff, like eating.

OK, I'll grant you that. There are places in Stockholm worth eating in
(though not cheap, but it's Sweden..). Further north it can be a bit more
basic, though Kiruna had a third pub (called "The third pub") by 2005..

Recommendation for uk.r people visiting the northern end of Sweden. Hotel
Jarnvagshotellet, which is not only one of the oldest buildings in Kiruna
but sits right on the station platform, with a fine view over to the LKAB
mine and its marshalling yards (complete with musical clashing couplings
in the morning).
For Sweden it's not expensive, either. Basic, but perfectly OK.
http://www.jarnvagshotellet.net/start.htm
No connection other than satisfied customer, etc.

--
From the Model M of Andy Breen, speaking only for himself
Old August 27th 11, 03:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Andy Breen" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:52:13 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 24/08/2011 09:50, Neil Williams wrote:
On Aug 24, 10:11 am, wrote:

And this is the main
platform for the Heathrow Connect - welcome to London hapless airline
tourists.

"You should have used Heathrow Express, you cheapskate"?

Is there anywhere on the planet where the whole experience of arriving
by air gives a good impression?

Arlanda.
Gardermoen.
Copenhagen's pretty good, too.
Tromso, of course.

Hmm. A pattern starts to emerge..

A sort of airport DNA ?

Jim Hawkins

Old August 27th 11, 04:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 16:01:37 +0100, Jim Hawkins wrote:

"Andy Breen" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:52:13 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Is there anywhere on the planet where the whole experience of arriving
by air gives a good impression?

Arlanda.
Gardermoen.
Copenhagen's pretty good, too.
Tromso, of course.

Hmm. A pattern starts to emerge..

A sort of airport DNA ?

Probably more "the Scandinavians are good at airports". Good design and
willingness to spend money on good-quality materials helps, as does an
ethos that public service is a good thing (and more important than
making a fast buck).

--
From the Model M of Andy Breen, speaking only for himself
Old August 27th 11, 09:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Andy wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:52:13 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Is there anywhere on the planet where the whole experience of arriving
by air gives a good impression?

Arlanda.
Gardermoen.
Copenhagen's pretty good, too.
Tromso, of course.

Hmm. A pattern starts to emerge..

A sort of airport DNA ?

Probably more "the Scandinavians are good at airports". Good design and
willingness to spend money on good-quality materials helps, as does an
ethos that public service is a good thing (and more important than
making a fast buck).

Which is why I was surprised to find that Copenhagen YHA is rather badly
designed.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 27th 11, 09:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/08/2011 12:55, Andy Breen wrote:
[...]

Three more than were open in Gallivare. The only life was a petrol
station selling pizza. And some random bloke who came up and criticised
us for eating pizza rather than Swedish food, but then admitted he
didn't actually know of any other available options.

Recommendation for uk.r people visiting the northern end of Sweden. Hotel
Jarnvagshotellet, which is not only one of the oldest buildings in Kiruna
but sits right on the station platform, with a fine view over to the LKAB
mine and its marshalling yards (complete with musical clashing couplings
in the morning).
For Sweden it's not expensive, either. Basic, but perfectly OK.
http://www.jarnvagshotellet.net/start.htm
No connection other than satisfied customer, etc.

The youth hostel at Gallivare was supposed to be left over navvy
accommodation from when the railway was built. Very basic, but affordable.

Tip for finding accommodation in Sweden - always check that your Inland
Railway spotting plan doesn't rely on finding accommodation in a town
which turns out to have a seriously major music festival happening on
the same weekend...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK