Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 25th 11, 08:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Paddington Station Flooded

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:23:25 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 25/08/2011 09:11, Andy Breen wrote:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:52:13 +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 24/08/2011 09:50, Neil Williams wrote:
On Aug 24, 10:11 am, wrote:

And this is the main
platform for the Heathrow Connect - welcome to London hapless
airline tourists.

"You should have used Heathrow Express, you cheapskate"?

Is there anywhere on the planet where the whole experience of arriving
by air gives a good impression?

Arlanda.

Don't they rig the train service so you have to use airport trains at
inflated prices?

Dunno. The prices didn't seen at all unreasonable when I last went through
there (admittedly, about 6 years ago now.. I've not been getting up into
..se, .no or .fi nearly enough recently...). The airport was clean, pleasant,
pretty quiet, the station was well signed, good to use, the trains into
Stockholm comfortable. I dare say I could have found a way to slum it and
save a little bit, but at a bit less than the mid-point of a long journey
that would have been a silly thing to do.

Gardermoen.

Not done that.

Architectually amazing. If only /any/ railway stations were as handsome
inside..
I last went through there when it was new (most of my Oslo travel had been
via Fornebu), and it may have accumulated clutter since then, but I liked
it a lot.
I'm told the train service into Oslo is good. I didn't use it. Passing through.

Copenhagen's pretty good, too.

OK, I guess so.

Certainly my first choice of long-haul departure point.

Tromso, of course.

Not done that.

It's probably developed and expanded (it was pretty basic when I first
used it), but it had turned into a really nice airport to use by about
10 years ago. Missed my chance to sample it again last year, dammit. Had
to cancel on the morning of the flight. Grr.

Yes, I have, in the past, gone to Tromso not-flying. Drove there twice,
twice got the train to Narvik and the bus on from there. Flying it was
easier. I do plan on getting there by Hurtigruten one of these days,
though. That's the proper way to do it.

--
From the Model M of Andy Breen, speaking only for himself