Old September 9th 11, 10:07 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Prohibition-era train steams onto New York subway for 1920s TV series

On Sep 8, 9:06*am, CJB wrote:

I read in a book about the NY Transit System about how these Low-V
cars survived. I'm not sure of the details but the story went
something like this.

That was probably Stan Fischler's _The Subway: a Trip through Time on
New York's Rapid Transit_
(earlier editions published as _Uptown, Downtown_.

The cars were kept out of sight on the Dyre Avenue line in The Bronx.

Michael Wares

Old September 11th 11, 06:26 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 9/5/2011 1:26 PM, John Levine wrote:
This article at Gothamist has some video.

It's a three or four car train, depending on which article you
believe, running express between Times Sq and 96th streets on the 2/3
line, between 2 and 6 PM on weekends in September. The train is
authentically free of A/C.

Is this equipment that is normally at the transit museum, or is there
a cache of old trains somewhere else?

http://gothamist.com/2011/09/04/vide...k_empire_v.php

I believe that the Transit Museum has only one or two sample IRT cars. The
operable ones are kept in one of the yards. The same is true of the IND and BMT
cars, some are in the museum, others in yards are for operation.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
|-------------------------------------------------|
| The light at the end of the tunnel ... |
| may be a train going the other way! |
| Brooklyn Tech Grads build things that work!('66)|
| There are 10 types of people: those who |
| understand binary and those who don't |
|-------------------------------------------------|
| All outgoing E-mail is scanned by NAV |

Old September 14th 11, 05:54 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On Sep 9, 11:07*pm, Michael Wares wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:06*am, CJB wrote:

I read in a book about the NY Transit System about how these Low-V
cars survived. I'm not sure of the details but the story went
something like this.

That was probably Stan Fischler's _The Subway: a Trip through Time on
New York's Rapid Transit_
(earlier editions published as _Uptown, Downtown_.

The cars were kept out of sight on the Dyre Avenue line in The Bronx.

Michael Wares

That's the one. Great story really. CJB.