London Banter

-   -   Largest roundel (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12247-largest-roundel.html)

Sam Holloway[_2_] September 9th 11 10:05 PM

Largest roundel

I went into King's Cross St Pancras Underground station today via the
new(ish) entrace close to KX platforms 9-11. There is an enormous
illuminated Underground roundel above the steps down into the station
- and I wondered if it is the largest roundel on the network, or
whether there are other giants to behold? (I'm not being fussy, you
can play around with this question in different categories of signage
if you like - just one of those Friday afternoon thoughts!)

Cheers,
Sam

Basil Jet[_2_] September 10th 11 02:07 AM

Largest roundel

On 2011\09\09 23:05, Sam Holloway wrote:
I went into King's Cross St Pancras Underground station today via the
new(ish) entrace close to KX platforms 9-11. There is an enormous
illuminated Underground roundel above the steps down into the station
- and I wondered if it is the largest roundel on the network, or
whether there are other giants to behold? (I'm not being fussy, you
can play around with this question in different categories of signage
if you like - just one of those Friday afternoon thoughts!)

Is it bigger than the one at Brixton?
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.4625...92.5 ,,0,-1.8

Sam Holloway[_2_] September 10th 11 09:39 AM

Largest roundel

On Sep 10, 3:07*am, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2011\09\09 23:05, Sam Holloway wrote:

I went into King's Cross St Pancras Underground station today via the
new(ish) entrace close to KX platforms 9-11. There is an enormous
illuminated Underground roundel above the steps down into the station
- and I wondered if it is the largest roundel on the network, or
whether there are other giants to behold? (I'm not being fussy, you
can play around with this question in different categories of signage
if you like - just one of those Friday afternoon thoughts!)

Is it bigger than the one at Brixton?http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.4625...04044,0.009645...

Good suggestion - yes, that looks larger to me!

I've just found a photo of the KXStP one (although it's not easy to
get scale from it) : http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/4146692117

Sam

Roland Perry September 10th 11 01:26 PM

Largest roundel

In message
, at
02:39:36 on Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Sam Holloway
remarked:
I've just found a photo of the KXStP one (although it's not easy to
get scale from it) : http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/4146692117

Here's a similar photo I took soon after it opened, with a little more
context: http://www.perry.co.uk/images/roundel_kgx.jpg

Basil Jet[_2_] September 10th 11 04:34 PM

Largest roundel

On 2011\09\10 14:26, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
02:39:36 on Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Sam Holloway
remarked:
I've just found a photo of the KXStP one (although it's not easy to
get scale from it) : http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/4146692117

Here's a similar photo I took soon after it opened, with a little more
context: http://www.perry.co.uk/images/roundel_kgx.jpg

The Arsenal one is also bigger than that.
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.5582...358.18,,0,-0.1

Mizter T September 11th 11 12:26 PM

Largest roundel

On Sep 10, 5:34*pm, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2011\09\10 14:26, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
02:39:36 on Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Sam Holloway
remarked:

I've just found a photo of the KXStP one (although it's not easy to
get scale from it) :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/4146692117

Here's a similar photo I took soon after it opened, with a little more
context:
http://www.perry.co.uk/images/roundel_kgx.jpg

The Arsenal one is also bigger than that.
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.5582...016142,0.03768....

Brixton won wins, me thinks:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pernfors88/78543455/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55935853@N00/3379396939/

There's a large-ish Overground roundel at Dalston Jn that's a bit
reminiscent of the one at KXSP in that it's above some stairs, though
it's not backlit (and is smaller than all the others discussed here):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfschafer/4561709556/