London Banter

-   -   Ripoff tube fares (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12249-ripoff-tube-fares.html)

[email protected] September 11th 11 08:57 AM

Ripoff tube fares

Just come back from Kiev. The flat fare on the metro is currently 2 Hryvnia
which works out at 16p. Even allowing for differences in earnings thats still
less than a quid. Whats more the trains run every minute all day , there is no
stopping in tunnels, no BS excuses or Signal Failure of the Day and they can
reverse a train at the terminus in less than a minute because the staff can
actually be arsed to do their job efficiently. It rather puts the overpriced
joke known as the london underground into perspective.

B2003

eastender[_4_] September 11th 11 03:19 PM

Ripoff tube fares

In article , d
wrote:

Just come back from Kiev. The flat fare on the metro is currently 2 Hryvnia
which works out at 16p. Even allowing for differences in earnings thats still
less than a quid. Whats more the trains run every minute all day , there is no
stopping in tunnels, no BS excuses or Signal Failure of the Day and they can
reverse a train at the terminus in less than a minute because the staff can
actually be arsed to do their job efficiently. It rather puts the overpriced
joke known as the london underground into perspective.

I've been to Kiev - it's a much smaller metro (and it makes a loss). Try
comparing systems such as London and Paris/New York.

E.

[email protected] September 11th 11 05:14 PM

Ripoff tube fares

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 16:19:00 +0100
eastender wrote:
I've been to Kiev - it's a much smaller metro (and it makes a loss). Try

Size is irrelevant (skip the jokes). And so what if it makes a loss - since
when did public transport have to post a profit? It exists to allow people
to get to work to generate profits. You might as well say that pavements
and roads should be profitable.

comparing systems such as London and Paris/New York.

Both paris and new york are a damn sight cheaper. I can't comment on the
service levels since I haven't been on either for a while.

B2003

eastender[_4_] September 11th 11 06:32 PM

Ripoff tube fares

eastender wrote:
I've been to Kiev - it's a much smaller metro (and it makes a loss). Try

Size is irrelevant (skip the jokes). And so what if it makes a loss - since
when did public transport have to post a profit? It exists to allow people
to get to work to generate profits.

That's right. Now look at subsidies for public transport in other
countries and you may find the answer. In any case, the Oyster fare cap
isn't that bad a deal, and bus trips are pretty cheap here.

E.

Jack[_3_] September 12th 11 07:01 AM

Ripoff tube fares

On Sep 11, 7:32*pm, eastender wrote:

eastender wrote:
I've been to Kiev - it's a much smaller metro (and it makes a loss). Try

Size is irrelevant (skip the jokes). And so what if it makes a loss - since
when did public transport have to post a profit? It exists to allow people
to get to work to generate profits.

That's right. Now look at subsidies for public transport in other
countries and you may find the answer. In any case, the Oyster fare cap
isn't that bad a deal, and bus trips are pretty cheap here.

E.

The Kiev Metro began operation in 1960; probably about the same time
the OP had a rational thought.

[email protected] September 12th 11 08:30 AM

Ripoff tube fares

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 00:01:19 -0700 (PDT)
Jack wrote:
That's right. Now look at subsidies for public transport in other
countries and you may find the answer. In any case, the Oyster fare cap
isn't that bad a deal, and bus trips are pretty cheap here.

E.

The Kiev Metro began operation in 1960; probably about the same time
the OP had a rational thought.

*canned laughter*

Tell me , when did the victoria line open? What about most of the jubilee line?
There haven't been any problems on those lines recently have there.

Oh , wait...

B2003

[email protected] September 12th 11 08:35 AM

Ripoff tube fares

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 19:32:19 +0100
eastender wrote:
Size is irrelevant (skip the jokes). And so what if it makes a loss - since
when did public transport have to post a profit? It exists to allow people
to get to work to generate profits.

That's right. Now look at subsidies for public transport in other
countries and you may find the answer. In any case, the Oyster fare cap
isn't that bad a deal, and bus trips are pretty cheap here.

The fare cap is just a one day travelcard. They had no option but to implement
it otherwise no one would use PAYG.

As for the funding of the systems, that doesn't impact on idiotic staff and
operational practices. For example why on the piccadilly line does there have
to be a driver change at arnos grove 3 stops from the end of the line? Why is
there what seems to be a 15mph speed limit over the viaduct? Why do southbound
trains sometimes wait outside the station for the middle road to clear
even though they're going into the southbound road and its clear already?
None of that is due to funding , its due to ****wittery.

B2003

eastender[_4_] September 12th 11 09:24 AM

Ripoff tube fares

In article , d
wrote:

For example why on the piccadilly line does there have
to be a driver change at arnos grove 3 stops from the end of the line? Why is
there what seems to be a 15mph speed limit over the viaduct? Why do
southbound
trains sometimes wait outside the station for the middle road to clear
even though they're going into the southbound road and its clear already?
None of that is due to funding , its due to ****wittery.

My brother-in-law is a Piccadilly Line driver and I hear he and all the
other drivers like to mess you about when you're seen on the train.

E.

[email protected] September 12th 11 09:36 AM

Ripoff tube fares

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:24:43 +0100
eastender wrote:
In article , d
wrote:

For example why on the piccadilly line does there have
to be a driver change at arnos grove 3 stops from the end of the line? Why is
there what seems to be a 15mph speed limit over the viaduct? Why do
southbound
trains sometimes wait outside the station for the middle road to clear
even though they're going into the southbound road and its clear already?
None of that is due to funding , its due to ****wittery.

My brother-in-law is a Piccadilly Line driver and I hear he and all the
other drivers like to mess you about when you're seen on the train.

I know you people associated with LU all think its highly amusing that
the service is so crap, but its not funny. It leads to stress and potential
illness and if people get to work tired, stressed and angry before they've
even started it reduces their productivity and ultimatly affects the economy.
If other countries can manage it so can LU and their constant stream of
pathetic excuses just doesn't cut it anymore. If they can't find people who
can manage the system properly and workers who take pride in their job then
perhaps they should find people who can.

B2003

eastender[_4_] September 12th 11 06:21 PM

Ripoff tube fares

In article , d
wrote:

I know you people associated with LU all think its highly amusing that
the service is so crap, but its not funny.

No, you're right. But you're still chicken for bringing up Kiev.

E.