London Banter

-   -   Trolleybuses (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12264-trolleybuses.html)

Basil Jet[_2_] September 18th 11 09:09 AM

Trolleybuses

Reading about buses that can alternate between battery power and wired
recharging has given me an idea. There are roads near regional centres
that are used by many bus routes, for example Cranbrook Road Ilford,
Romford Station - North Street, Hoe Street Walthamstow, Station Road
Chingford. With a list of only one or two roads per borough, I think
that most bus routes in suburban London use one or more of these
streets. I am wondering if battery technology is near to reaching the
point where wiring only these streets would allow wholesale conversion
of the bus network to rechargeable battery power.

CJB September 19th 11 12:54 PM

Trolleybuses

On Sep 18, 10:09*am, Basil Jet wrote:
Reading about buses that can alternate between battery power and wired
recharging has given me an idea. There are roads near regional centres
that are used by many bus routes, for example Cranbrook Road Ilford,
Romford Station - North Street, Hoe Street Walthamstow, Station Road
Chingford. With a list of only one or two roads per borough, I think
that most bus routes in suburban London use one or more of these
streets. I am wondering if battery technology is near to reaching the
point where wiring only these streets would allow wholesale conversion
of the bus network to rechargeable battery power.

They do this in Budapest. The trolleys can go off-line so to speak as
part of their route. It works very well.

And the latest and very new system is in Wellington, New Zealand.
Stagecoach inherited the previous operation, where trolleybuses were
successful due to the steep volcanic hills in and around the city. But
for some reason Stagecoach scrapped the lot (in Auckland too). Then
the trolleys were re-instated in Wellington by a new company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybuses_in_Wellington

CJB.

[email protected] September 19th 11 01:56 PM

Trolleybuses

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 05:54:41 -0700 (PDT)
CJB wrote:
successful due to the steep volcanic hills in and around the city. But
for some reason Stagecoach scrapped the lot (in Auckland too). Then

Probably would have required long term investment. Not something a reduce the
service to bare minimum, make a quick buck and get out company like Stagecoach
would be interested in.

B2003

Neil Williams September 19th 11 05:15 PM

Trolleybuses

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:56:55 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:
Probably would have required long term investment. Not something a

reduce the
service to bare minimum, make a quick buck and get out company like

Stagecoach
would be interested in.

MX of Stagecoach is that they are nothing of the sort.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

[email protected] September 22nd 11 11:17 AM

Trolleybuses

In article ,
(Basil Jet) wrote:

Reading about buses that can alternate between battery power and
wired recharging has given me an idea. There are roads near regional
centres that are used by many bus routes, for example Cranbrook Road
Ilford, Romford Station - North Street, Hoe Street Walthamstow,
Station Road Chingford. With a list of only one or two roads per
borough, I think that most bus routes in suburban London use one or
more of these streets. I am wondering if battery technology is near
to reaching the point where wiring only these streets would allow
wholesale conversion of the bus network to rechargeable battery power.

Wouldn't thy need a higher proportion of each route than that under the
wires to get enough charging?

--
Colin Rosenstiel