Old October 3rd 11, 04:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Alarming scenes at Clapham

On 30/09/2011 23:40, Neil Williams wrote:
It would seem that Clapham Junction has the rather annoying type of
sounder which is painful to the ear, presumably to ensure people
*actually do* evacuate rather than ignoring it. But that seems not to
have worked...

What would have happened if there was a fire during the malfunction?
I'm surprised they didn't close the station.

--
Paul

Old October 4th 11, 06:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:

It would seem that Clapham Junction has the rather annoying type of
sounder which is painful to the ear, presumably to ensure people
*actually do* evacuate rather than ignoring it. But that seems not to
have worked...

One Saturday back in March, I was at St Pancras, in the Circle
area, and there was a two-tone sound on the PA, followed by the
information that this was an emergency, and all passengers must
leave by the nearest exit.

Most passengers heeded the instruction, and headed out. Just as I
got through the main entrance, there was another PA announcement.
However, as I was passing out through the door at the time, its
content was unclear. I guess that it might have been an apology
for a false alarm.

There was no visible member of staff at the exit, incoming
passengers (who continued to enter) were somewhat confused, and
some of those leaving attempted to explain the situation.
Everybody eventually trooped back in.

Several minutes later, half of the destination displays above the
"Market" area still showed that a fire alarm had activated, and
passengers should leave.

So, why had no staff member appeared visibly at the exit to
manage the situation and deter incoming passengers? What is the
point of using the PA (and no other means) of explaining to
passengers, who should by then be outside the building, that it
was safe to return? Why had the display not been cleared when the
alarm was, presumably, reset?

Does the system now trigger completely automatically, without any
manual filter, or was it finger trouble somewhere? Where was
Inspector Sands when he was needed ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old October 4th 11, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Chris J Dixon) wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:

[...]

Odd. I heard a call for Inspector Sands exactly there not long ago.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 4th 11, 12:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sep 30, 10:20*pm, cj wrote:
On Sep 30, 8:43*pm, The Gardener wrote:

On Sep 30, 8:34*pm, "alexander.keys1"
wrote:

On Sep 30, 4:48*pm, Paul wrote:

On 30/09/2011 10:02, cj wrote:

Arrived at Clapham Junction around 6:30 yesterday evening to be
greeted by a horrendous ear-piercing alarm and the curious sight of
lots of passengers with fingers buried deeply in ears. Most platform
staff were presumably sheltering somewhere from the noise, which
wasn't exactly reassuring to people arriving on trains and who
wouldn't have a clue if the alarm was genuine or not. Once a member of
staff was found the only advice given was to not panic and for
passengers to just cover their ears!

The situation wasn't helped by a failure of the CIS displays, which
temporarily gave up showing actual train departures and instead
instructed commuters to "listen for announcements", which was all but
impossible.

I don't think it was an alarm. *Sounded to me more like the PA system
going haywire (hence no announcements).

--
Paul

Doesn't sound like PA feedback, that's more of a 'hollow' tone due to
the natural reverb of a space shared by mic + speaker, one Youtube
comment says it went on for more than an hour, seems like another case
of "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave" computer malfunction and
"Computer says no" attitude from the staff, an increasingly common
problem.

Not only that, but clearly no-one with the authority or means to turn
the d**ded thing off! I would not be surprised if none of the station
staff had keys to the electrical switchroom at the station, on some
spurious Elfin Safety argument. I cannot believe that the station
staff would have willingly put up with that sort of noise if they had
the means to do something about it.

According to an apologetic poster at Clapham Junction this evening,
the racket was apparently caused by a power surge to the fire alarm
circuitry. (In my experience power surges tend to permanently fry
electrical things, not render them permanently stuck on "loud", but
then I'm not an electrician, and happy to be corrected...)
~cj- Hide quoted text -

IME, fire alarms are often triggered by the EMP from nearby lightning
strikes.

Very OT 2: Pyongyang street scenes Recliner[_2_] London Transport 44 May 14th 13 02:44 PM
Old London street scenes jrb London Transport 3 September 7th 08 12:41 PM
Clapham Junction Vernon London Transport 6 February 25th 05 08:57 AM
Usin Clapham juinction with huges bags ? Emmanuel Chantréau London Transport 9 June 15th 04 09:03 PM
Network rail & Clapham Junction John London Transport 5 October 4th 03 07:58 AM