Old October 2nd 03, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Network rail & Clapham Junction

It's a saturday, I find myself needing to get to Selhurst from
Norbiton (don't ask!). Off I go to nationalrail.co.uk and type
in my to & from, and get sent on a tortuous route involving
Thameslink and a change at Wimbledon & Streatham.

In order to get the service via Clapham, had to type in
two separate journeys.

On questioning the nice people over at National Rail, I was
told that 'going via Clapham Junction is an invalid route.' -
direct quote.

Eh? Surely it's the *obvious* route! It was also 10 mins quicker
than their Streatham Strangeness and faster than farting
about on the tram.

Any ideas what's wrong with Clapham? (as a changeover, I
mean!)

Cheers, John

Old October 2nd 03, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John" wrote in message
It's a saturday, I find myself needing to get to Selhurst from
Norbiton (don't ask!). Off I go to nationalrail.co.uk and type
in my to & from, and get sent on a tortuous route involving
Thameslink and a change at Wimbledon & Streatham.

In order to get the service via Clapham, had to type in
two separate journeys.

On questioning the nice people over at National Rail, I was
told that 'going via Clapham Junction is an invalid route.' -
direct quote.

Eh? Surely it's the *obvious* route! It was also 10 mins quicker
than their Streatham Strangeness and faster than farting
about on the tram.

Any ideas what's wrong with Clapham? (as a changeover, I
mean!)

According to the routeing guide Clapham Junction is not on any permitted
routes between Selhurst and Norbiton. However there appear to be two
different tickets available, CDR NOT LONDON £3.50 and CDR ANY PERMITTED
£5.00. Although no permitted routes pass through London anyway, it seems that
the intention is you need to buy the more expensive ticket to go via Clapham
Junction.

Anyway it is probably better to just buy a Zone 2-6 Travelcard for £3.60
which you definitely can use via Clapham Junction.

Peter Smyth

Old October 2nd 03, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

Are any of the trains 'set down only' or 'pickup only'
(or whatever it's called) at Clapham?

No. 'Set down only' and 'Pickup only' ban people from using certain trains
between Clapham and the London termini, not between Clapham and any station
further from London.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 4th 03, 07:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

Indeed, as I pointed out to the website people who quoted the same
book at me as you did.

At some point in the future, maybe the website will be updated to
include more expensive routes (even maybe with a warning) or notice
that the date is a Saturday. (not difficult, 1 function call)

And maybe I could tick a box 'I'm a commuter and have a montly 1-5
anyway'.

cheers, John