Old October 28th 11, 10:05 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield View Post
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:09:07 +0100, Mrs Fox
wrote:

Hello,

I am completely confused. I moved back to the UK and got a job
(finally!) in Brentwood and live in Grays but not certain if I am using
the best way of travelling. I was going to take the 269 bus but the
timing is not right as I need to start work at 8.30 and finish at 17.00.
The only other option appears to be trains to: Upminster, then Romford,
then Brentwood. Seems an awful lot of travelling and it would mean that
I have to be at the bus stop to get the bus to the train station at 6.00
to be on time for work as it's still a 30 minute walk from Brentwood
station to get to work... I would appreciate any advice

As others have pointed out this is not an easy journey despite the
geographic proximity.

Thurrock Council have a lot of information here

http://www.thurrock.gov.uk/travel/transport/

There are good timetable and map pdfs available via the site. I have
had a quick look and I'm not particularly convinced there are
convenient bus times for you but it's not clear as to quite where you
are headed in the Brentwood area. There seem to be possible options
on the 265, 269 and 565 routes.

What I had hoped to find for you was a journey on the Ensign route 81
that actually started back at Grays or nearby. They have "light"
journeys from their garage to / from Brentwood but only a couple of
off peak journeys run in service as the X81. You probably wouldn't
lose anything by dropping Ensign an email and asking if they have any
plans to run any peak hour X81 journeys. At least they'd know they
have 1 prospective passenger!

Bus fare information will only be available from the respective
operators.

Rail does look a tad involved and the x30 min headway between Romford
and Upminster isn't good if there are any delays or disrption.
Ironically Grays is covered by Oyster PAYG as is Romford / Upminster.
It has recently been announced that Brentwood will be covered from
some time in 2012 when the next franchise starts.

Timings for the trains all seem to be around 1 hour or so which is
pretty awful!

--
Paul C
Hi Paul,

Thank you, I tried the journey out by train and it took nearly 2 hours Walk from Chadwell st Mary to the bus stop. Take the 83 to Grays station. Take the train to Upminster, then Romford (considerable delay here so may be quicker next time), then Brentwood. Then walk to Hubert Road from the station (approx. 20 minutes) I'll have to stock up on some reading material and get my driver's asap.

Thanks anyway

Old October 28th 11, 10:08 AM
Junior Member

I don't have a licence at all. South African licences have to be renewed annually otherwise they expire. This was implemented while I was abroad so I have to start from scratch to get my drivers in the UK. Ordered the provisional so should get that in 3 weeks then on to theory and then lessons and practical test. Thank you for all the suggestions.
Old October 29th 11, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Grays to Brentwood; please help :)

In message , at 14:33:26 on
Sat, 29 Oct 2011, Paul Corfield remarked:
it is stupid that such a relatively easy journey -
a few miles north south - is so hard by public transport. I guess
this is what happens after decades of slow erosion of services coupled
with deregulation and council cutbacks.

I'm not sure it was ever easy. Essex is divided into the various
corridors: A12, A11 and A128 and people commute up and down them by rail
or road. When I was going to school in Brentwood the service from
Upminster was so bad they had to put on a school bus (whereas pupils
along the A12 made their own way).

There was a secondary bus corridor down to Basildon via Shenfield and
Billericay (served today by 551 probably), but I assume this would have
shown up in searches if going Grays-Basildon-Brentwood was a possibility
today.

Grays - travel/ticketing advice Josie London Transport 11 April 2nd 10 05:34 PM
Any sudden tunnels between Stratford and Brentwood? Tristán White London Transport 17 October 12th 06 01:08 PM
Travelling from Harrow To Grays, advice needed Aosmosis London Transport 4 June 22nd 06 08:39 AM
Help please Marratxi London Transport 0 September 1st 04 11:11 PM
Help, please Marratxi London Transport 4 October 25th 03 12:49 PM