London Banter

-   -   Crossrail construction contracts let at low prices (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12347-crossrail-construction-contracts-let-low.html)

Bruce[_2_] November 24th 11 08:05 PM

Crossrail construction contracts let at low prices

Posted without comment:

Contractors reveal cut price deals for latest Crossrail contract
awards

Crossrail’s Farringdon and Whitechapel main station contracts will be
delivered for less than half the anticipated £625M price, it has
emerged today.

The two winning consortiums will deliver the stations for a combined
£310M.

BBMV, a joint venture of Balfour Beatty, Morgan Sindall and Vinci
Construction, will build Whitechapel station for £110M. It was
originally expected to cost up to £250M.

A three-way joint venture of Kier, Bam Nuttall and Ferrovial will
build Farringdon station for a “£200Mplus” contract on the Crossrail
scheme for major works at Farringdon station, a statement from the JV
said. It was originally expected to cost up to £375M.

Pat O'Neill November 24th 11 08:14 PM

"Bruce" wrote in message
Posted without comment:

Contractors reveal cut price deals for latest Crossrail contract
awards

Crossrail's Farringdon and Whitechapel main station contracts will be
delivered for less than half the anticipated £625M price, it has
emerged today.

The two winning consortiums will deliver the stations for a combined
£310M.

BBMV, a joint venture of Balfour Beatty, Morgan Sindall and Vinci
Construction, will build Whitechapel station for £110M. It was
originally expected to cost up to £250M.

A three-way joint venture of Kier, Bam Nuttall and Ferrovial will
build Farringdon station for a "£200Mplus" contract on the Crossrail
scheme for major works at Farringdon station, a statement from the JV
said. It was originally expected to cost up to £375M.

Squeezing until pips pop out.

Andy Breen November 24th 11 08:17 PM

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 21:14:36 +0000, Pat O'Neill wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

A three-way joint venture of Kier, Bam Nuttall and Ferrovial will build
Farringdon station for a "£200Mplus" contract on the Crossrail scheme
for major works at Farringdon station, a statement from the JV said. It
was originally expected to cost up to £375M.

Squeezing until pips pop out.

Look at it this way: it'll leave so much more credit on Tony's card that
can be spent on transport projects in Scotland.

The Teuchters will get their new ferry yet, just see!

--
Speaking only for myself

furnessvale November 24th 11 08:19 PM

On Nov 24, 9:14*pm, "Pat O'Neill" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

Posted without comment:

Contractors reveal cut price deals for latest Crossrail contract
awards

Crossrail's Farringdon and Whitechapel main station contracts will be
delivered for less than half the anticipated £625M price, it has
emerged today.

The two winning consortiums will deliver the stations for a combined
£310M.

BBMV, a joint venture of Balfour Beatty, Morgan Sindall and Vinci
Construction, will build Whitechapel station for £110M. It was
originally expected to cost up to £250M.

A three-way joint venture of Kier, Bam Nuttall and Ferrovial will
build Farringdon station for a "£200Mplus" contract on the Crossrail
scheme for major works at Farringdon station, a statement from the JV
said. It was originally expected to cost up to £375M.

Squeezing until pips pop out.- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't like to be the resident engineer on those jobs as the
contractor pulls out all the stops to make up the lost cash.

George

The Real Doctor November 24th 11 10:14 PM

On 24/11/11 21:05, Bruce wrote:
BBMV, a joint venture of Balfour Beatty, Morgan Sindall and Vinci
Construction, will build Whitechapel station for £110M. It was
originally expected to cost up to £250M.

I wonder if all the Crossrail planning has been to the same high standard.

Ian

D1039 November 25th 11 05:46 PM

On Nov 24, 9:05*pm, Bruce wrote:
Posted without comment:

Contractors reveal cut price deals for latest Crossrail contract
awards

Crossrail’s Farringdon and Whitechapel main station contracts will be
delivered for less than half the anticipated £625M price, it has
emerged today.

The two winning consortiums will deliver the stations for a combined
£310M.

BBMV, a joint venture of Balfour Beatty, Morgan Sindall and Vinci
Construction, will build Whitechapel station for £110M. It was
originally expected to cost up to £250M.

A three-way joint venture of Kier, Bam Nuttall and Ferrovial will
build Farringdon station for a “£200Mplus” contract on the Crossrail
scheme for major works at Farringdon station, a statement from the JV
said. It was originally expected to cost up to £375M.

I believe the original estimates will have included an "optimism bias"
mark up

Patrick

Pat O'Neill November 25th 11 06:11 PM

"D1039" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 9:05 pm, Bruce wrote:
[...]

Putting the pips back in.

Bruce[_2_] November 25th 11 06:52 PM

D1039 wrote:
On Nov 24, 9:05*pm, Bruce wrote:
[...]

True, and the original cost estimates were made at a time when
construction prices were not only at a record high, but projected to
continue rising at a rapid rate.

The recession hit construction very hard and there is no sign of any
recovery. On the contrary, forward order books are at a very low
level. So prices have dropped considerably.

I gather from someone I know at Crossrail that the overall estimated
cost for the project has now dropped by around **£2 billion** from the
original estimates. I think that means we are now looking at an
outturn cost of around £14.7 billion at 2009 prices.

Theo November 25th 11 08:37 PM

Bruce wrote:

I believe the original estimates will have included an "optimism bias"
mark up

True, and the original cost estimates were made at a time when
construction prices were not only at a record high, but projected to
continue rising at a rapid rate.

The recession hit construction very hard and there is no sign of any
recovery. On the contrary, forward order books are at a very low
level. So prices have dropped considerably.

Is it fair to think that most building works for the Olympic Games are
finished now ?

I do hope quantities are calculated right....

Theo

--
From the heath in the North of Belgium

Jonathan Morton[_3_] November 25th 11 08:42 PM

"Bruce" wrote in message

True, and the original cost estimates were made at a time when
construction prices were not only at a record high, but projected to
continue rising at a rapid rate.

The recession hit construction very hard and there is no sign of any
recovery. On the contrary, forward order books are at a very low
level. So prices have dropped considerably.

I gather from someone I know at Crossrail that the overall estimated
cost for the project has now dropped by around **£2 billion** from the
original estimates. I think that means we are now looking at an
outturn cost of around £14.7 billion at 2009 prices.

Isn't that traditionally one of the arguments for a programme of public
works in recessionary times - that you can get good value for money?

Regards

Jonathan

D1039 November 25th 11 08:51 PM

Crossrail construction contracts let at low prices

On Nov 25, 9:42*pm, "Jonathan Morton"
wrote:

Isn't that traditionally one of the arguments for a programme of public
works in recessionary times - that you can get good value for money?

Regards

Jonathan

Yes, also land values are lower if you need to buy it for the
project.

Patrick

Bruce[_2_] November 25th 11 09:49 PM

(Theo) wrote:

Bruce wrote:

I believe the original estimates will have included an "optimism bias"
mark up

True, and the original cost estimates were made at a time when
construction prices were not only at a record high, but projected to
continue rising at a rapid rate.

The recession hit construction very hard and there is no sign of any
recovery. On the contrary, forward order books are at a very low
level. So prices have dropped considerably.

Is it fair to think that most building works for the Olympic Games are
finished now ?

Yes, that was one of the major causes of the price inflation. Material
costs such as structural steel and steel reinforcement for concrete
also rose due to demand from China and the Far East.

I do hope quantities are calculated right....

I think so, because Crossrail has enough capable people working on the
project.

Bruce[_2_] November 25th 11 09:49 PM

wrote:

Isn't that traditionally one of the arguments for a programme of public
works in recessionary times - that you can get good value for money?

Regards

Jonathan

Yes, also land values are lower if you need to buy it for the
project.

Already purchased, unfortunately. So no savings there.

77002 November 26th 11 07:15 AM

wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

True, and the original cost estimates were made at a time when
construction prices were not only at a record high, but projected to
continue rising at a rapid rate.

The recession hit construction very hard and there is no sign of any
recovery. *On the contrary, forward order books are at a very low
level. *So prices have dropped considerably.

I gather from someone I know at Crossrail that the overall estimated
cost for the project has now dropped by around **£2 billion** from the
original estimates. *I think that means we are now looking at an
outturn cost of around £14.7 billion at 2009 prices.

Isn't that traditionally one of the arguments for a programme of public
works in recessionary times - that you can get good value for money?

Yes, but to do this well, government needs to be frugal during the
good years.

Jonathan Morton[_3_] November 26th 11 03:49 PM

"77002" wrote in message

I gather from someone I know at Crossrail that the overall estimated
cost for the project has now dropped by around **£2 billion** from the
original estimates. I think that means we are now looking at an
outturn cost of around £14.7 billion at 2009 prices.

Isn't that traditionally one of the arguments for a programme of public
works in recessionary times - that you can get good value for money?

Yes, but to do this well, government needs to be frugal during the
good years.

Ah, I'm on the verge of spotting the flaw...

Big Jack November 27th 11 08:29 AM

Crossrail construction contracts let at low prices

The Teuchters will get their new ferry yet, just see!

--

Didn't realise they were in the market for one.

What they are in the market for is a major electrification project
over the next 5 years, with another one behind that.

Funded from the pittances that they get from the UK government.

They are also building a new Forth Crossing bridge too.

Compared to CrossRail the guys in Edinburgh are getting on with the
job. Not just talking about it 10 years later.

Paul Scott[_3_] November 27th 11 11:52 AM

"Big Jack" wrote in message

Compared to CrossRail the guys in Edinburgh are getting on with the
job. Not just talking about it 10 years later.

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

Paul S

Graeme Wall November 27th 11 12:18 PM

On 27/11/2011 12:52, Paul Scott wrote:
"Big Jack" wrote in message

Compared to CrossRail the guys in Edinburgh are getting on with the
job. Not just talking about it 10 years later.

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

How's the Edinburgh tram coming on?

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Roland Perry November 27th 11 02:49 PM

Crossrail construction contracts let at low prices

In message , at 12:52:59 on
Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Paul Scott remarked:

Compared to CrossRail the guys in Edinburgh are getting on with the
job. Not just talking about it 10 years later.

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

There are some big holes in the ground near Tottenham Ct Road. Maybe
it's someone building a new facility for the S******* R******, and not
what it seems at all? They do say that hiding things in plain sight is
often a useful strategy.

Recliner[_2_] November 27th 11 04:04 PM

Crossrail construction contracts let at low prices

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 12:52:59 on
Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Paul Scott
remarked:
Compared to CrossRail the guys in Edinburgh are getting on with the
job. Not just talking about it 10 years later.

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

There are some big holes in the ground near Tottenham Ct Road. Maybe
it's someone building a new facility for the S******* R******, and not
what it seems at all? They do say that hiding things in plain sight is
often a useful strategy.

Work is also underway at the portals, and Farringdon has become a rather
large buiilding site. I know that some of these projects are also to do
with related projects to enlarge ticket halls, etc, but those probably
wouldn't have started without Crossrail.

Big Jack November 28th 11 07:59 PM

Crossrail construction contracts let at low prices

On Nov 27, 12:52*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Big Jack" wrote in message

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

No what I am suggesting is that it has taken too long to deliver.

CrossRail was planned before the change into the current cetury. We
are now in year 11, going on 12.

Big Jack November 28th 11 08:11 PM

"Big Jack" wrote in message

How's the Edinburgh tram coming on?

Last time I checked it's now coming along, very late in the
construction and well over budget.

Just goes to show that you should never trust the estimates of a City
of Edinburgh Labour Council.

There was programme shown on the BBC parliament channel last week on
the tram, probably still on I Player. It started out to cost £375 and
is currently expected to finally cost £1Bn, for only half the original
estimated.amount of tram line.

The current Scottsih Government threatened to withhold their subsidy
of the project and only recently got an agreement with the City.

The shortened version of which is the City of Edinburgh had to get the
extra cash from the Banks and repay it over a 30 years loan. This will
be financed from the ratepayers of the City.No addition Scottish or UK
government money is being offered.

Another condition is that the City Council Project company TIE is
disbananded and the project control transferred to Transport Scotland.
The Scottish Government equivelent of the DfT. Otherwise all deals are
off.

Mizter T November 28th 11 08:25 PM

On Nov 28, 8:59*pm, Big Jack wrote:

On Nov 27, 12:52*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote: "Big Jack" wrote in message

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

No what I am suggesting is that it has taken too long to deliver.

CrossRail was planned before the change into the current cetury. We
are now in year 11, going on 12.

It was only really given the go ahead in 2008, and then in 2010 there
was a wait whilst the new government decided whether they wanted to
continue with it or not.

But if you want to start looking back, I'd suggest one could at least

Graeme Wall November 28th 11 09:13 PM

Crossrail construction contracts let at low prices

On 28/11/2011 21:25, Mizter T wrote:

On Nov 28, 8:59 pm, Big wrote:

On Nov 27, 12:52 pm, "Paul
wrote: "Big wrote in message

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

No what I am suggesting is that it has taken too long to deliver.

CrossRail was planned before the change into the current cetury. We
are now in year 11, going on 12.

It was only really given the go ahead in 2008, and then in 2010 there
was a wait whilst the new government decided whether they wanted to
continue with it or not.

But if you want to start looking back, I'd suggest one could at least

It is in the 1972 London Rail Study.

Basil Jet[_2_] November 28th 11 09:15 PM

Crossrail construction contracts let at low prices

On 2011\11\28 21:25, Mizter T wrote:

On Nov 28, 8:59 pm, Big wrote:

On Nov 27, 12:52 pm, "Paul
wrote: "Big wrote in message

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

No what I am suggesting is that it has taken too long to deliver.

CrossRail was planned before the change into the current cetury. We
are now in year 11, going on 12.

It was only really given the go ahead in 2008, and then in 2010 there
was a wait whilst the new government decided whether they wanted to
continue with it or not.

But if you want to start looking back, I'd suggest one could at least

I thought it was originally suggested along with the Victoria Line in
the 1940s.

Mizter T November 28th 11 10:20 PM

On Nov 28, 10:15*pm, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2011\11\28 21:25, Mizter T wrote:

On Nov 28, 8:59 pm, Big *wrote:
[...]
No what I am suggesting is that it has taken too long to deliver.

CrossRail was planned before the change into the current cetury. We
are now in year 11, going on 12.

It was only really given the go ahead in 2008, and then in 2010 there
was a wait whilst the new government decided whether they wanted to
continue with it or not.

But if you want to start looking back, I'd suggest one could at least

I thought it was originally suggested along with the Victoria Line in
the 1940s.

Hence why "one could at least go back as far as the early 90's", the
intentional implication being that one could go back significantly
further too. The early 90's iteration was perhaps the one closest to
actually happening.