Old January 7th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ditching the Night Buses

Not quite as drastic as it sounds.

According to the London Buses service changes list
(http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/cib_service_change.shtml), a number of
night routes are doing away with their "N" prefix to become a 24 hour
service under the day route number. This seems to be in line with the
route lists in the bus maps combining information for the day and night
buses.

The routes concerned are the 12, 65, 72, 94, 148 and 285.

I would expect this policy to be extended across all night bus routes
which exactly mirror their day equivalents - does this apply to any
beyound these 6 routes?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old January 7th 04, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote the following in:

Not quite as drastic as it sounds.

According to the London Buses service changes list
(http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/cib_service_change.shtml), a number
of night routes are doing away with their "N" prefix to become a
24 hour service under the day route number. This seems to be in
line with the route lists in the bus maps combining information
for the day and night buses.

The routes concerned are the 12, 65, 72, 94, 148 and 285.

I would expect this policy to be extended across all night bus
routes which exactly mirror their day equivalents - does this
apply to any beyound these 6 routes?

The N69 and the 69 are pretty much the same, aren't they?

--
message by Robin May, or at least that's what the headers say.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Crime is confusing.
Old January 7th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Not quite as drastic as it sounds.

According to the London Buses service changes list
(http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/cib_service_change.shtml), a number of
night routes are doing away with their "N" prefix to become a 24 hour
service under the day route number. This seems to be in line with the
route lists in the bus maps combining information for the day and night
buses.

The routes concerned are the 12, 65, 72, 94, 148 and 285.

I would expect this policy to be extended across all night bus routes
which exactly mirror their day equivalents - does this apply to any
beyound these 6 routes?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

On the leaflet I was handed on Monday regarding the building works at
Waterloo bus interchange there is a special logo against the 176 - a sort of
blue and white circle bisected vertically (presumably indicating sun & moon)
with '24 hour service' written next to it.

I was at Piccadilly Circus at 2am on Saturday night and noticed (through the
drunken haze) at least one non-N prefixed bus.

Colin

Old January 7th 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin" wrote the following in:

I was at Piccadilly Circus at 2am on Saturday night and noticed
(through the drunken haze) at least one non-N prefixed bus.

I think it probably takes a certain sort of person to notice things
like that while drunk. (Not criticising, I do it too.)

Old January 8th 04, 06:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:28:19 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

According to the London Buses service changes list
(http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/cib_service_change.shtml), a number of
night routes are doing away with their "N" prefix to become a 24 hour
service under the day route number. This seems to be in line with the
route lists in the bus maps combining information for the day and night
buses.

The routes concerned are the 12, 65, 72, 94, 148 and 285.

I would expect this policy to be extended across all night bus routes
which exactly mirror their day equivalents - does this apply to any
beyound these 6 routes?

The 108, 119 and 176 were converted to 24 hour operation a couple of
months ago, replacing the N108 and N119 during the night.

Old January 8th 04, 06:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:28:19 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

Not quite as drastic as it sounds.

According to the London Buses service changes list
(http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/cib_service_change.shtml), a number of
night routes are doing away with their "N" prefix to become a 24 hour
service under the day route number. This seems to be in line with the
route lists in the bus maps combining information for the day and night
buses.

The routes concerned are the 12, 65, 72, 94, 148 and 285.

I would expect this policy to be extended across all night bus routes
which exactly mirror their day equivalents - does this apply to any
beyound these 6 routes?

3 routes were done a few weeks ago - the 119, 108 and 176 IIRC. It would
seem that this is another step towards "simplicity" and is possible
because day and night time fares / ticket validities are now the same.
There will be some routes which have no daytime equivalent (e.g. N50) or
where there the night bus runs over a far longer distance than the day
route (e.g. N7, N38, N73) where I would expect the "N" to remain to
distinguish the routes. There is the other difference in that some artic
routes have a night bus equivalent but not run by artics and hence are
not fully cashless (N36 for the 436 and N18 for the 18).
--
Paul C

Old January 8th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:28:19 +0000 Dave Arquati said...

I would expect this policy to be extended across all night bus routes
which exactly mirror their day equivalents - does this apply to any
beyound these 6 routes?

Quite a lot of non-Zone 1 routes I would imagine. Two routes local to me
spring to mind:

41/N41 & 236/N236

--
Phil Richards
London, N4
Old January 9th 04, 12:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Not quite as drastic as it sounds.

According to the London Buses service changes list
(http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/cib_service_change.shtml), a number of
night routes are doing away with their "N" prefix to become a 24 hour
service under the day route number. This seems to be in line with the
route lists in the bus maps combining information for the day and night
buses.

The routes concerned are the 12, 65, 72, 94, 148 and 285.

I would expect this policy to be extended across all night bus routes
which exactly mirror their day equivalents - does this apply to any
beyound these 6 routes?

Off the top of my head, one and the same a
55 and N55 (although N58 extends to Whipps Cross)
58 and N58
69 and N69
101 and N101

Cheers,