London Banter

-   -   being let through barriers with an Oyster, a couple of Qs (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1250-being-let-through-barriers-oyster.html)

Phil January 11th 04 11:08 AM

being let through barriers with an Oyster, a couple of Qs

Jason wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:12:00 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On 10 Jan 2004 05:24:25 -0800, (Phil) wrote:
Have you actually tried this is is your statement true sometimes but
not at others?

There really isn't a lot of point in sniping at the LUL staff who post
here who are trying to help.

And may I say for the record, whose assistance and information is very
very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason.

Sorry to snipe. It was out of order but as always what i said came out
wrong
I meant to say was this true at some stations and not at others and I
did qualify everything by saying that Greenford might be different.
It was a general winge about the system and not meant to be a personal
snipe. I value the help given by LT staff here too.

cheers PHIL

K January 14th 04 04:36 PM

being let through barriers with an Oyster, a couple of Qs

On 9 Jan 2004 12:30:06 -0800, (Matthew
Dickinson) wrote:

The system will charge you £5.10 for the unresolved journey, as it
doesn't check travelcard validity until after the journey is finished.

Now I'm confused?!?!? Are you saying it will charge you for not
"exiting" - even though you have a valid travelcard?

Kat January 14th 04 11:09 PM

being let through barriers with an Oyster, a couple of Qs

In message , K
writes
Dickinson) wrote:

The system will charge you £5.10 for the unresolved journey, as it
doesn't check travelcard validity until after the journey is finished.

Now I'm confused?!?!? Are you saying it will charge you for not
"exiting" - even though you have a valid travelcard?

It's called an unresolved journey and has to be resolved by the ticket
office or by an RCI with a checker.
If you try to re-enter within your valid zone you won't be charged. If
outside the Oyster's validity, you'd probably be charged the excess to
that zone and then the extension cost back to your valid zone.
Of course, having some Pre Pay on your Oyster and making sure you touch
the reader at entry and exit does away with all these problems and makes
everyone's life much simpler.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

K January 15th 04 10:29 AM

being let through barriers with an Oyster, a couple of Qs

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:09:09 +0000, Kat
wrote:

It's called an unresolved journey and has to be resolved by the ticket
office or by an RCI with a checker.

That IMHO is ridiculous! The tube system isn't a closed system and
the instructions on the open parts only say you have to validate if
you're a prepay user. I would also not of known about it if I hadn't
read it on here - how are the vast majority of users meant to know
that?

If you try to re-enter within your valid zone you won't be charged. If
outside the Oyster's validity, you'd probably be charged the excess to
that zone and then the extension cost back to your valid zone.

That would be stealing from you, IMHO. How do they know you travelled
there on the tube?

Of course, having some Pre Pay on your Oyster and making sure you touch
the reader at entry and exit does away with all these problems and makes
everyone's life much simpler.

So why don't they say you always have to do that? The instructions at
the validators specifically say that pre-pay users have to do it,
implying others don't

K January 15th 04 10:36 AM

wrote:

[...]

[I am not getting at you personally - rather at the way the system
works - I appreciate the advice and assistance you and others give!]

Anon January 16th 04 12:05 PM

being let through barriers with an Oyster, a couple of Qs

You have always had to have your ticket ready for inspection even at
stations without barriers or staff. This is of course silly when most of the
time it is not required. This has meant the publicity has not been accurate
and is misleading.
I think you will find in the next few months a lot more will be done to
advertise the fact. It has already been highlighted as a problem hence the
fact the minimum fare is being charged at the moment. In the future this
will be changed.