London Banter

-   -   Oyster PrePay- What can I expect? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1251-oyster-prepay-what-can-i.html)

Ben Nunn January 9th 04 11:57 AM

Oyster PrePay- What can I expect?

I've just ordered my first Oyster, with £50 prepay.

I noticed on Monday morning that the 70 new pence cash fare on the bus had
risen to £1, and that single tube tickets were up slightly as well.

When I start using my new Oyster, will I be charged at these rates? Does the
logic to retroactively calculate the best value ticket for the day - e.g.
buspass, travelcard etc. - exist yet, or will I be charged for the
individual value of each journey (and if I do, I won't use the card,
obviously).

BTN

Helen Deborah Vecht January 9th 04 02:15 PM

Oyster PrePay- What can I expect?

"Ben Nunn" typed

I've just ordered my first Oyster, with £50 prepay.

I noticed on Monday morning that the 70 new pence cash fare on the bus had
risen to £1, and that single tube tickets were up slightly as well.

When I start using my new Oyster, will I be charged at these rates? Does the
logic to retroactively calculate the best value ticket for the day - e.g.
buspass, travelcard etc. - exist yet, or will I be charged for the
individual value of each journey (and if I do, I won't use the card,
obviously).

As I understand it, Oyster Pre Pay is not yet available on buses. Oyster
Pre Pay will only buy you single adult tickets, at 2003 prices on a
weekday and rather less at weekends.

I suggest you buy some Saver bus Tickets (4.20 for 6) and keep these in
your wallet. Plan your journeys in advance and decide when it would be
cheaper to get a one day bus pass or a Travelcard. Oyster can't do this
for you.

You will need the Fares for 2004 leaflet and I suspect graduate level
education may be an advantage...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Robert Woolley January 9th 04 08:48 PM

Oyster PrePay- What can I expect?

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:15:54 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Ben Nunn" typed

[...]

.... at least not yet.

The bus element will be working in March - with cheaper mutli-modal
transfers to follow....

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Ben Nunn January 10th 04 02:15 PM

Oyster PrePay- What can I expect?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Robert Woolley
), in message
who said:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:15:54 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Ben Nunn" typed

[...]

....so at the moment, it's not really worth my while using it at all, unless
I want to make a single low-cost tube journey?

BTN

Helen Deborah Vecht January 10th 04 05:22 PM

who said:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:15:54 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Ben Nunn" typed

[...]

Yes, if you wish to use the Tube at weekends, especially if you don't
want a Weekend Travelcard. The £1 single fare is a bargain.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Dave Arquati January 11th 04 07:31 PM

Robert Woolley wrote:

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:15:54 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Ben Nunn" typed

[...]

Cheaper multi-modal transfers... does this mean that if you get the bus
to a tube station, you receive a discount on your tube fare?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7