London Banter

-   -   CORRECTED: Oystercard helpline - *geographic* equivalent? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1254-corrected-oystercard-helpline-geographic-equivalent.html)

Steph Davies January 9th 04 05:28 PM

CORRECTED: Oystercard helpline - *geographic* equivalent?

I'm looking for a *geographic* equivalent of 0845 330 9876.

If they are going to keep me on hold for hours at a time I don't want
to pay for the privilege!

TIA,
Steph

PS apologies for double-post, once you click "Post message" Google
won't let you cancel it. Even though it doesn't appear for hours.
Crap system.

Helen Deborah Vecht January 9th 04 06:47 PM

CORRECTED: Oystercard helpline - *geographic* equivalent?

(Steph Davies)typed

I'm looking for a *geographic* equivalent of 0845 330 9876.

If they are going to keep me on hold for hours at a time I don't want
to pay for the privilege!

TIA,
Steph

PS apologies for double-post, once you click "Post message" Google
won't let you cancel it. Even though it doesn't appear for hours.
Crap system.

You think that's bad? I spent *ages* (6 cycles of Pachelbel's Canon) on
hold to their sales line, which is 0870 and therefore costs even more!

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Barry Salter January 10th 04 01:14 AM

On 9 Jan 2004 10:28:04 -0800, (Steph Davies) wrote:

I'm looking for a *geographic* equivalent of 0845 330 9876.

It's possible, of course, that there isn't a geographic equivalent. What
I can tell you, however, is that that number block (08453 30 xxxx) was
allocated to a company called Opal Telecom Limited in October 2003, and
the Sales Line (08708 49 9999) falls within a block allocated to ntl in
May 2002.

Not much use in answering the question, I know, but it should help with
suggestions of where to try next...

Cya,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.

Steph Davies January 11th 04 02:21 PM

CORRECTED: Oystercard helpline - *geographic* equivalent?

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in message ...
(Steph Davies)typed

I'm looking for a *geographic* equivalent of 0845 330 9876.

If they are going to keep me on hold for hours at a time I don't want
to pay for the privilege!

TIA,
Steph

You think that's bad? I spent *ages* (6 cycles of Pachelbel's Canon) on
hold to their sales line, which is 0870 and therefore costs even more!

That's pretty rubbish.

Since I first posted I have learned of a fantastic geographic number
through a popular website that often gets mentioned in uk.telecom. I
won't name the site or quote the number for fear of it being blocked -
you will be able to find it fairly easily with a bit of Googling.

The number is GOLDEN! London geographic number, goes straight through
to a human being, no menus, no rubbish, no nothing. Appears to jump
the call queue too as it is answered instantly (although it may just
be that there is no queue). As I said, not going to post it openly in
here as it might get cut off. But trust me, it's _well_ worth five
minutes of your time to find it...

--
Steph