Old January 10th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 5-10 year olds on the bus -- Free?

The TFL website is unclear about the status of 5-10 year olds on the
bus and Tramlink. On some of the .html pages it states clearly that
if they are accompanied by a fare-paying passenger, they travel free.
But the fare brochure (PDF file) has no mention of this exemption.

I would have thought the brochure was more authoritative. Which is
correct? Has anybody had hassles from drivers?

Marc

Old January 10th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Marc Brett typed

The TFL website is unclear about the status of 5-10 year olds on the
bus and Tramlink. On some of the .html pages it states clearly that
if they are accompanied by a fare-paying passenger, they travel free.
But the fare brochure (PDF file) has no mention of this exemption.

I would have thought the brochure was more authoritative. Which is
correct? Has anybody had hassles from drivers?

Marc

They need a Photo-Card. I don't think they have to be accompanied.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 10th 04, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Marc Brett typed

The TFL website is unclear about the status of 5-10 year olds on the
bus and Tramlink. On some of the .html pages it states clearly that
if they are accompanied by a fare-paying passenger, they travel free.
But the fare brochure (PDF file) has no mention of this exemption.

I would have thought the brochure was more authoritative. Which is
correct? Has anybody had hassles from drivers?

Marc

They need a Photo-Card. I don't think they have to be accompanied.

It's not that simple, and Marc has raised a valid point. If they have a
'5-10' photocard, it's clear that they travel free on buses and Tramlink.
It's also clear that, if unaccompanied, they must have a photocard to
qualify for free travel.

The confusion arises if they don't have a photocard and are travelling with
an adult. There is no mention of this in either of the .pdf brochure files,
but it clearly says at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2004/bus.shtml

"Up to three 5-10 year olds who do not have a '5-10' photocard can travel
free at any time on London's buses and Tramlink if they are accompanying a
passenger who pays a fare or holds a valid pass."

I've mailed TfL to ask for clarification.
--
Richard J.

Old January 10th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Richard
J. writes
[...]
The confusion arises if they don't have a photocard and are travelling with
an adult. There is no mention of this in either of the .pdf brochure files,

Do you have a link to those particular .pdf files?
Thanks.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 10th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Marc Brett typed

The confusion arises if they don't have a photocard and are travelling with
an adult. There is no mention of this in either of the .pdf brochure files,
but it clearly says at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2004/bus.shtml

"Up to three 5-10 year olds who do not have a '5-10' photocard can travel
free at any time on London's buses and Tramlink if they are accompanying a
passenger who pays a fare or holds a valid pass."

I've mailed TfL to ask for clarification.

The bus driver who took me on Monday did not know this. A foreign lady
with two sons boarded a bus and bought tickets for all. I asked if the
kids were under 11 and they said they were. I told her the kids could go
free. Driver said they had to have Photocards.

Lady looked like she could ill afford additional expense.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old January 10th 04, 11:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote:
In message ,
Richard
J. writes
[...]
The confusion arises if they don't have a photocard and are
travelling with an adult. There is no mention of this in either of
the .pdf brochure files,

Do you have a link to those particular .pdf files?
Thanks.

Go to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...04/index.shtml

The two bullet points under "Handy leaflets" link to the .pdf files.
I've just noticed that below there is a link which says "View up to date
information on free travel for under 11s on buses and Tramlink" which links
to a page which repeats the advice about accompanied children not needing
photocards.

--
Richard J.