London Banter

-   -   Gate Codes + Oyster (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1281-gate-codes-oyster.html)

simon January 14th 04 08:26 AM

Gate Codes + Oyster

Currently using a monthly Oyster with no pre pay on it.

Everytime I touch it on entry,
the gate opens,
seek assistance is displayed,
code 70 appears on bottom left corner.

The ticket is correct in terms of zone validity, anyone know what a "Code 70
" is ?

Many thanks

Kat January 14th 04 09:30 AM

Gate Codes + Oyster

In message , simon
writes
Currently using a monthly Oyster with no pre pay on it.

Everytime I touch it on entry,
the gate opens,
seek assistance is displayed,
code 70 appears on bottom left corner.

The ticket is correct in terms of zone validity, anyone know what a "Code 70
" is ?

Unspecified Oystercard Processing Error/Unspecified Card Presentation
Error.
Make sure you place your card flat on the reader and don't slide it
around.
I've noticed that 70 and 94 sometimes come up if the card is either
hovered over or moved about on the reader.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Tom Anderson January 14th 04 05:56 PM

Gate Codes + Oyster

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Kat wrote:

In message , simon
writes
Currently using a monthly Oyster with no pre pay on it.

Everytime I touch it on entry, the gate opens, seek assistance is
displayed, code 70 appears on bottom left corner.

The ticket is correct in terms of zone validity, anyone know what a
"Code 70 " is ?

Unspecified Oystercard Processing Error/Unspecified Card Presentation
Error. Make sure you place your card flat on the reader and don't slide
it around. I've noticed that 70 and 94 sometimes come up if the card is
either hovered over or moved about on the reader.

I was having a lot of trouble with mine, getting 70 and 71 errors. I keep
mine in my general wallet, so between the oyster and the reader there's a
layer of fabric, a donor card, and a layer of leather; i had been bringing
it up to the reader from above (so its approach vector was normal to the
plane of the reader), but i have now changed to sliding it on (so the
vector is parallel), and i no longer get the errors. It would seem that
the radio communication system is not very powerful.

tom

--
solvilvitur ambulando. copy a diamond shape, recording angel. .. ..

TC January 14th 04 06:21 PM

Gate Codes + Oyster

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
I was having a lot of trouble with mine, getting 70 and 71 errors. I keep
mine in my general wallet, so between the oyster and the reader there's a
layer of fabric, a donor card, and a layer of leather; i had been bringing
it up to the reader from above (so its approach vector was normal to the
plane of the reader), but i have now changed to sliding it on (so the
vector is parallel), and i no longer get the errors. It would seem that
the radio communication system is not very powerful.

Probably on purpose. I think this is less annoying than having oyster cards
being read when unintended. I usually travel on travelcards, and have the
oyster ready for ocassional journeys and price capping (ie. I havent had a
use for it yet...) - I'd be upset if I got charged just because my wallet
was too close....

I wonder if the readers can be adjusted to different ranges?

--
TC

Bob Adams January 14th 04 09:16 PM

Gate Codes + Oyster

In message , Kat
writes
The ticket is correct in terms of zone validity, anyone know what a "Code 70
" is ?

Unspecified Oystercard Processing Error/Unspecified Card Presentation
Error.
Make sure you place your card flat on the reader and don't slide it around.
I've noticed that 70 and 94 sometimes come up if the card is either hovered
over or moved about on the reader.

Wasn't the original plan for Oysters a card that you could just wave in
the air somewhere in the general vicinity of a reader - in order to
speed up passage through the gates - instead of "Make sure you place
your card flat on the reader and don't slide it around" ?

--
Bob Adams (email to )

Robin Mayes January 14th 04 10:19 PM

Gate Codes + Oyster

"Bob Adams" wrote in message

Wasn't the original plan for Oysters a card that you could just wave in
the air somewhere in the general vicinity of a reader - in order to
speed up passage through the gates - instead of "Make sure you place
your card flat on the reader and don't slide it around" ?

It was. A group of staff tested the first staff passes by walking past the
gates and every single one opened from about 5 foot away!

Kat January 14th 04 11:13 PM

Gate Codes + Oyster

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

I was having a lot of trouble with mine, getting 70 and 71 errors. I keep
mine in my general wallet, so between the oyster and the reader there's a
layer of fabric, a donor card, and a layer of leather; i had been bringing
it up to the reader from above (so its approach vector was normal to the
plane of the reader), but i have now changed to sliding it on (so the
vector is parallel), and i no longer get the errors. It would seem that
the radio communication system is not very powerful.

It seems quite variable to me; one of our gates gives 70 and 94
constantly before it decides to open no matter how the card is placed.
The other six are far less temperamental.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

james007 January 17th 04 09:20 PM

Gate Codes + Oyster

Bob Adams wrote:

Wasn't the original plan for Oysters a card that you could just wave in
the air somewhere in the general vicinity of a reader - in order to
speed up passage through the gates - instead of "Make sure you place
your card flat on the reader and don't slide it around" ?

At one station I've seen, there was a handwritten notice on the customer
information board that said (roughly):

"Oyster Card customers: your card is not a swipe card.
Please PLACE it on the yellow pad.
Plinky plonky, not swipey-swipey."

!!

Abc Xyz January 24th 04 09:58 PM

Gate Codes + Oyster

Probably on purpose. I think this is less annoying than having oyster cards
being read when unintended. I usually travel on travelcards, and have the
oyster ready for ocassional journeys and price capping (ie. I havent had a
use for it yet...) - I'd be upset if I got charged just because my wallet
was too close....

I wonder if the readers can be adjusted to different ranges?

I'm in the same situation - I asked the helpline before I started using
it and they assured me that if using a travelcard (1 day, weekend etc)
that the oyster would not register the journey if left in a back
pocket wallet for example and so far it i've had not trouble with it.

TheOneKEA January 25th 04 09:25 AM

Gate Codes + Oyster

james007 wrote in message ...
Bob Adams wrote:

Wasn't the original plan for Oysters a card that you could just wave in
the air somewhere in the general vicinity of a reader - in order to
speed up passage through the gates - instead of "Make sure you place
your card flat on the reader and don't slide it around" ?

At one station I've seen, there was a handwritten notice on the customer
information board that said (roughly):

"Oyster Card customers: your card is not a swipe card.
Please PLACE it on the yellow pad.
Plinky plonky, not swipey-swipey."

!!

!! indeed.

I've found that the radio in the validators is powerful enough to read
an Oyster at a distance of up to one inch. I've tried it at Canary
Wharf and the gate flashed an 00 and opened for me quite nicely.

Brad