Old December 29th 11, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Free Travel Area

In message , at 06:33:27
on Thu, 29 Dec 2011, remarked:
but why will the majority changing flight go land side in the first place

How else do they change terminal?

By taking the airside transfer buses and using the infamous "Connections
Centre" to be re-screened.

Much fun for all the family at this stupidly long url:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-guide/flight-
connections/connection-guides/international-arrival/international-
departure

Where (eg) T4-T5 is timed at 105 minutes. No wonder some people think
going landside will be quicker.
Old December 29th 11, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew Dickinson" wrote in message
One surprise in the 2012 fare revision is that the Piccadilly line
joins the Heathrow Free Travel Area.

See
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/20689....athrow-airport

"Journeys solely between Heathrow Terminals 123, Heathrow Terminal 4
and Heathrow Terminal 5 will be free for all Oyster card and Oyster
photocard holders"

OK, let's go back to square 1.

The majority of people transferring between flights at Heathrow will do so
airside. This means they won't go anywhere near any transport in the
Heathrow Free Travel Area. For those who do come landside the HeX/HC
trains are the prferred (by the airport authority) route. Yes, I know, the
underground is more frequent blah blah but by the time you've got hold of an
Oyster, used it for one inter terminal trip and then tried to get your
refund because you're not coming back to London how long is that going to
take?

In any case, I would suggest that the whole point of the free travel area
isn't aimed at passengers or even meeters and greeters but actually at
airport/airline staff.

Old December 29th 11, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:49:00 on
Thu, 29 Dec 2011, Paul Corfield remarked:
And how many airline passengers have Oyster cards?

Quite a few I would imagine, given the number of people living in
Greater London who have them and who might well be flying out of
Heathrow.

And the thousands and thousands of staff who work in and around
Heathrow.

Why are the staff taking trains from one terminal to another? If their
job requires moving around the airport I'd expect the employer to
provide an [airside] alternative.

Old December 29th 11, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:49:00 on
Thu, 29 Dec 2011, Paul Corfield remarked:
And how many airline passengers have Oyster cards?

Quite a few I would imagine, given the number of people living in
Greater London who have them and who might well be flying out of
Heathrow.

And the thousands and thousands of staff who work in and around
Heathrow.

Why are the staff taking trains from one terminal to another? If their job
requires moving around the airport I'd expect the employer to provide an
[airside] alternative.

Not everyone has an airside pass. In fact, these days, they try and
restrict the number.

Old December 29th 11, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:38:19 on
Thu, 29 Dec 2011, Graham Harrison
remarked:
And how many airline passengers have Oyster cards?

Quite a few I would imagine, given the number of people living in
Greater London who have them and who might well be flying out of
Heathrow.

And the thousands and thousands of staff who work in and around
Heathrow.

Why are the staff taking trains from one terminal to another? If
their job requires moving around the airport I'd expect the employer
to provide an [airside] alternative.

Not everyone has an airside pass. In fact, these days, they try and
restrict the number.

So this is landside staff who have jobs in multiple terminals. Seems
like a small subset, being that far away from anything airside (and most
airlines only have check-in staff in one terminal).
Old December 29th 11, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 13:57:00 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
Why are the staff taking trains from one terminal to another? If

their
job requires moving around the airport I'd expect the employer to
provide an [airside] alternative.

Plenty of staff don't work airside. And they might arrive on a bus
to the central bus station and need to make a connection.

Not everyone going to/from LHR uses HEx or a taxi. I've always
thought the free travel zone was aimed at that.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old December 29th 11, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

Not everyone works for an airline. Furthermore, some airlines use handling
agents whose staff work in multiple terminals. Then add in cargo staff who
may need to move from the Cargo terminal. Commuting staff getting from car
parks to places of work. There's a surprising amount of landside movement
among people who work at the airport.