London Banter

-   -   UK commuters 'pay more for trains' (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12835-uk-commuters-pay-more-trains.html)

Basil Jet[_2_] December 30th 11 10:13 AM

UK commuters 'pay more for trains'

The price of a 2011 season ticket from Woking in Surrey to London,
including Tube travel in the capital, is £3,268. Yet a similar 22-mile
journey from Velletri to Rome costs Italian season ticket holders £336.17

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...5155148A000004

Paul Terry[_2_] December 30th 11 01:09 PM

UK commuters 'pay more for trains'

In message , Basil Jet
writes

The price of a 2011 season ticket from Woking in Surrey to London,
including Tube travel in the capital, is £3,268. Yet a similar 22-mile
journey from Velletri to Rome costs Italian season ticket holders £336.17

Not entirely surprising given that the Italians subsidised their
railways at more than four times the rate of the British for many
decades.

You can see the result of such extravagance in the current state of the
Italian economy, though, as well as in their very attractive train fares
:(

--
Paul Terry

George December 30th 11 04:27 PM

UK commuters 'pay more for trains'

On Dec 30, 2:09*pm, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Basil Jet
writes

The price of a 2011 season ticket from Woking in Surrey to London,
including Tube travel in the capital, is £3,268. Yet a similar 22-mile
journey from Velletri to Rome costs Italian season ticket holders £336..17

Not entirely surprising given that the Italians subsidised their
railways at more than four times the rate of the British for many
decades.

You can see the result of such extravagance in the current state of the
Italian economy, though, as well as in their very attractive train fares
:(

--
Paul Terry

Yes the Italians have a high speed rail network that we can only dream
about in the UK!

Neil Williams December 30th 11 05:09 PM

UK commuters 'pay more for trains'

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 09:27:27 -0800 (PST), George
wrote:
Yes the Italians have a high speed rail network that we can only

dream
about in the UK!

Have you ever used a train in Italy?

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

George December 31st 11 11:18 AM

wrote:
Yes the Italians have a high speed rail network that we can only

dream
about in the UK!

Have you ever used a train in Italy?

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Err..................yes!

Why do you ask?

tim.... December 31st 11 01:34 PM

wrote:
Yes the Italians have a high speed rail network that we can only

dream
about in the UK!

Have you ever used a train in Italy?

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Err..................yes!

Why do you ask?

They are notorious for their late-ness

(Don't know about the high speed ones though)

tim

Neil Williams December 31st 11 03:20 PM

UK commuters 'pay more for trains'

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 04:18:21 -0800 (PST), George
wrote:

Why do you ask?

Because the rest of the network outside the cities and high speed
stuff is poor, and frequencies are low. Rather like France.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK