Old January 26th 12, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Post Office Railway - mothballed?

wrote

So, what is Mail Rail's ultimate fate, then?

It deserves a new use.

The Tower Subway started off with a small cable car, then became a footway,
which closed when Tower Bridge opened. It was then used for hydraulic power
mains, and water mains were also put through it. After the London Hydraulic
Power Company closed (in 1977) it was used for fibre optic cables.
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ay/index.shtml

Peter

Old January 26th 12, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Jan 26, 11:04*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:

wrote

So, what is Mail Rail's ultimate fate, then?

It deserves a new use.

The Tower Subway started off with a small cable car, then became a footway,
which closed when Tower Bridge opened. It was then used for hydraulic power
mains, and water mains were also put through it. After the London Hydraulic
Power Company closed (in 1977) it was used for fibre optic cables.
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ay/index.shtml

Could be used to help redistribute 'Boris bikes' to different docking
stations around central London.

(I only throw that in there for the potential amusement factor lest
Bozza finds himself racking his brain for a new use for it, and coming
up with that as his latest wheeze...)

Otherwise, rubber dinghy rapids.
Old January 26th 12, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Masson" wrote:
wrote

So, what is Mail Rail's ultimate fate, then?

It deserves a new use.

A theme park. An extreme ride in Central London.

Old January 27th 12, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
CJB CJB is offline

On Jan 27, 12:24*am, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:21:10 -0800 (PST), Mizter T

wrote:

On Jan 26, 11:04*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:

wrote

So, what is Mail Rail's ultimate fate, then?

It deserves a new use.

Could be used to help redistribute 'Boris bikes' to different docking
stations around central London.

(I only throw that in there for the potential amusement factor lest
Bozza finds himself racking his brain for a new use for it, and coming
up with that as his latest wheeze...)

Otherwise, rubber dinghy rapids.

I was musing that an underground Draisine line could be a tourist
attraction but hadn't the nerve to suggest it *but in company with
dinghy rapids what the heck.

For those who are unfamiliar with what a Draisine ishttp://www.bretagne35..com/uk/explore/sport-and-leisure/velo-rail-drai...
features a French one,there are a few others abroad and considering
the enthusiasm for old railways in Britain I find it surprising
something similar has never been done.

G.Harman

The Kiwis are supposed to be setting up the same kind of thing on the
Hamilton to/from Rotorua line. Also there is talk of doing the same on
the Stratford to Tahora line.

Not sure of the links though. Or even if the schemes got off the
ground STS (so to speak).

CJB

Old January 27th 12, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

It deserves a new use.

A linear art gallery.

Remove one track. Display works of art. Use the other track for a dead
slow moving viewing platform. Divide line into sections for various
different genre accessed at exisitng stations not hard to do.

--
Nick
Old January 27th 12, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
wrote:

It would be nice to use it for a narrow-gauge crossrail, with through trains
between the Festiniog and the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch (OK, I
know the gauges are different..).

Just thing of the fun to be had with gauge changing!

Sam
Old January 27th 12, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 17:52:47 +0000, Sam Wilson wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

It would be nice to use it for a narrow-gauge crossrail, with through trains
between the Festiniog and the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch (OK, I
know the gauges are different..).

Just thing of the fun to be had with gauge changing!

Sam

We should use stock with telescopic axles that can change gauge on the move, as in Spain.
Old January 27th 12, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

http://www.bretagne35.com/uk/explore...ons-patrimoine
features a French one,there are a few others abroad and considering
the enthusiasm for old railways in Britain I find it surprising
something similar has never been done.

G.Harman

Yes, I think that I have seen pictures of one in Ontario, in Canada.
That'd be cool to have that in Britain, but three words come to mind
that will undoubtedly ruin the whole concept.

Any guesses?

Old January 27th 12, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

On Jan 26, 11:04 pm, "Peter wrote:

[...]

When was the last time that the line was open to the public for an
excursion? I assume that there is less than nothing like this in the
offing at this time?