Old January 25th 12, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
CJB CJB is offline

Default Post Office Railway - mothballed?

Michael Portillo rode the Post Office Railway during one of his recent
Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 programmes. It was described
as a 'secret miniature railway under London.' However it closed in the
mid-2000s. So is it mothballed and kept in working orderf in case it
is needed again? Moot point. CJB.

Old January 25th 12, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"CJB" wrote in message

Michael Portillo rode the Post Office Railway during one of his recent
Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 programmes. It was described
as a 'secret miniature railway under London.' However it closed in the
mid-2000s. So is it mothballed and kept in working orderf in case it
is needed again? Moot point. CJB.

I think Crossrail will kill it off for good.

Old January 25th 12, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:27:55 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message

Michael Portillo rode the Post Office Railway during one of his recent
Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 programmes. It was described
as a 'secret miniature railway under London.' However it closed in the
mid-2000s. So is it mothballed and kept in working orderf in case it
is needed again? Moot point. CJB.

I think Crossrail will kill it off for good.

Will it breech the tunnels?

B2003

Old January 25th 12, 05:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Will it breech the tunnels?

There was certainly a comment a few years ago that crossrail would be a lot
more expensive if it didnt breach the tunnels . Presumably they are going
ahead with the version that does.

My understanding was that the main reason it closed was because the
facilities served by many of the "stations" were no longer used.

Old January 25th 12, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:25:32 -0800 (PST), CJB
wrote:

Michael Portillo rode the Post Office Railway during one of his recent
Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 programmes. It was described
as a 'secret miniature railway under London.' However it closed in the
mid-2000s. So is it mothballed and kept in working orderf in case it
is needed again? Moot point. CJB.

Before closure, it was open to organised visits. Fascinating system.

Guy Gorton

Old January 25th 12, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 17:29:26 on
Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Paul Rigg remarked:

There was certainly a comment a few years ago that crossrail would be a
lot more expensive if it didnt breach the tunnels . Presumably they
are going ahead with the version that does.

I'm sure I've seen some plans which either confirm or deny a breach in
the Farringdon (Mt Pleasant) area. But I can't find them currently.

My understanding was that the main reason it closed was because the
facilities served by many of the "stations" were no longer used.

The Royal Mail changed their whole distribution strategy to out-of-town
depots.
Old January 25th 12, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Recliner" wrote in message

I think Crossrail will kill it off for good.

I believe Crossrail was designed to avoid it - you can see the separate
route of the 'Mail Rail' tunnels on various Crossrail drawings I've got
downloaded.

Paul

Old January 25th 12, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Michael Portillo rode the Post Office Railway during one of his recent
Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 programmes. It was described
as a 'secret miniature railway under London.' However it closed in the
mid-2000s. So is it mothballed and kept in working orderf in case it
is needed again? Moot point. CJB.

Before closure, it was open to organised visits. Fascinating system.

After closure it was open to some clandestine visitors...

http://www.silentuk.com/?p=2792
--
Phil Cook
Old January 25th 12, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:46:56 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 17:29:26 on
Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Paul Rigg remarked:

There was certainly a comment a few years ago that crossrail would be a
lot more expensive if it didnt breach the tunnels . Presumably they
are going ahead with the version that does.

I'm sure I've seen some plans which either confirm or deny a breach in
the Farringdon (Mt Pleasant) area. But I can't find them currently.

My understanding was that the main reason it closed was because the
facilities served by many of the "stations" were no longer used.

The Royal Mail changed their whole distribution strategy to out-of-town
depots.

..
e.g. the big shed in Willesden yard.
Old January 25th 12, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

http://www.silentuk.com/?p=2792

Th