Old March 15th 12, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Default "Virgin Media wins London Underground wi-fi contract"

Steve Terry wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17373523

Extract...

---quote---
The contract is only for ticket offices, escalators and platforms
because it would have required major construction work to have added
connectivity to the network's tunnels.

From July 2012 all Tube passengers will initially be able to connect
to the internet for free.

After the Olympic and Paralympic Games it will be a pay-as-you-go
service.

Bloody BT Openzone, Sky the Cloud, and now Virgin have carved up
what was free wifi, now it's only free for their customers.

I wonder if it will be available on skype wifi...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)

Old March 15th 12, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/03/2012 00:11, Paul G wrote:
In message , Steve Terry
writes
Mizter T wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17373523

Extract...

---quote---
The contract is only for ticket offices, escalators and platforms
because it would have required major construction work to have added
connectivity to the network's tunnels.

From July 2012 all Tube passengers will initially be able to connect
to the internet for free.

After the Olympic and Paralympic Games it will be a pay-as-you-go
service.

Bloody BT Openzone, Sky the Cloud, and now Virgin have carved up
what was free wifi, now it's only free for their customers.

Eh? How do you make that out? Wifi hasn't even been available on the
Underground (excluding very limited trials) until now. And I certainly
wouldn't want my ticket price to rise to pay for it!

It will, don't worry. Call it the lay-away plan -- you don;t have to
start paying until January 2013.
Old March 15th 12, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/03/2012 09:07, Chris Blunt wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:27:42 +0000, Mizter
wrote:

The contract is only for ticket offices, escalators and platforms
because it would have required major construction work to have added
connectivity to the network's tunnels.

A pity they seem to have ruled out connectivity within the
tunnels/trains themselves. Subway systems in other parts of the world
have been able to achieve this, apparently without too much
difficulty.

Chris

Leaky cable technology, it is called, yes?
Old March 16th 12, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Paul G wrote:
In message , Steve Terry
writes
Mizter T wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17373523

Extract...

---quote---
The contract is only for ticket offices, escalators and platforms
because it would have required major construction work to have added
connectivity to the network's tunnels.
From July 2012 all Tube passengers will initially be able to connect
to the internet for free.
After the Olympic and Paralympic Games it will be a pay-as-you-go
service.

Bloody BT Openzone, Sky the Cloud, and now Virgin have carved up
what was free wifi, now it's only free for their customers.

Eh? How do you make that out? Wifi hasn't even been available on the
Underground (excluding very limited trials) until now. And I
certainly wouldn't want my ticket price to rise to pay for it!

Sorry i don't mean on the underground, i was thinking of all the coffee
shops and pubs a couple of years ago i was able to use completely free
until the big networks frightened them with stories of abuse
and sold them their secure systems.

I haven't seen an open wifi in months, all WPA now

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and £5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Old March 16th 12, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:27:42 on Wed, 14 Mar
2012, Mizter T remarked:
Virgin Media's mobile and broadband customers will be offered
continued access as part of their subscriptions.

I can't see anything on the VM site regarding "free/bundled" wifi for
their mobile customers. Presumably this is some new addition to their
plans they'll be announcing soon. Some other networks already have.

Sky will soon be offering free The Cloud" access to Sky BB customers
to rivel BTs Openzone for BT BB customers.

So it figures Virgin will have to offer their Wifi zones to their Virgin BB
customers. If they don't they'll loose out to the other two

Steve Terry

Old March 16th 12, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

In uk.transport.london Steve Terry wrote:
Sorry i don't mean on the underground, i was thinking of all the coffee
shops and pubs a couple of years ago i was able to use completely free
until the big networks frightened them with stories of abuse
and sold them their secure systems.

Yup, and it's fragmented such that you need three subscriptions not one.
And PAYG is silly because it's often 5 pounds an hour, while with 3G I can
get 5 pounds a month or 50p/day. And no faffing about with signups,
registering, etc, it just works.

Wifi is just a waste of time when travelling IME, 3G is far more useful.
But sadly, due to hardware manufacturers having a US view of the world (wifi
networks that actually work, poor 3G coverage and broken mobile tariffs), it
isn't common fit on laptops and many tablets.

3G is no use on the tube, of course. But I'm not convinced that people are
going to pay a wifi-scale fee (5 pounds an hour, 10-15 pounds a month) for
the 5 minutes a day they spend lurking on a station platform.

Theo
Old March 16th 12, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Theo Markettos wrote:
[...]

I've got my Three Skype S2 HSDPA phone for use on the laptop
when out and about, but as a Sky BB user i'm looking forward to
free "The Cloud WiFi" as my local Wetherspoon pub and McD's
are The Cloud Wifi enabled.

Steve Terry

Old March 16th 12, 08:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 16/03/2012 21:13, Theo Markettos wrote:
In uk.transport.london Steve wrote:
[...]

Isn't all of South Korea wi-fi now? There is no charge or subscription
necessary, you just use it whenever and wherever, IIRC.

I thought that they were eventually planning to do something that here
in the UK.
Old March 16th 12, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 16/03/2012 18:42, Steve Terry wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In , at 18:27:42 on Wed, 14 Mar
2012, Mizter remarked:
Virgin Media's mobile and broadband customers will be offered
continued access as part of their subscriptions.

I can't see anything on the VM site regarding "free/bundled" wifi for
their mobile customers. Presumably this is some new addition to their
plans they'll be announcing soon. Some other networks already have.

Sky will soon be offering free The Cloud" access to Sky BB customers
to rivel BTs Openzone for BT BB customers.

So it figures Virgin will have to offer their Wifi zones to their Virgin BB
customers. If they don't they'll loose out to the other two

Steve Terry

I thought O2 customers also had access to free wi-fi service on "The Cloud".