London Banter

-   -   "Virgin Media wins London Underground wi-fi contract" (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12939-virgin-media-wins-london-underground.html)

Mizter T March 18th 12 06:40 AM

"Virgin Media wins London Underground wi-fi contract"

On Mar 18, 2:18*am, Richard wrote:

On 15/03/12 18:50, wrote:

(Chris Blunt) wrote:

A pity they seem to have ruled out connectivity within the
tunnels/trains themselves. Subway systems in other parts of the world
have been able to achieve this, apparently without too much
difficulty.

Subway systems in the rest of the world don't operate in 12ft diameter
tube tunnels.

Surely a leaky feeder cable doesn't care about the diameter, or depth,
of the tunnel?

Anyway, I'm not impressed. *I've already paid for mobile data and don't
see a need to pay for it again (in fact I pay Virgin Media for my TV but
don't have their broadband so don't expect to get anything free there).

The amount of data I have at the price makes WiFi almost irrelevant, and
I often have to turn it off anyway given the number of apparently duff
FON hotspots. *Why can't we have 3G or better in the stations instead?

I'm still surprised that the HS1 tunnels (or even the Channel Tunnel)
don't have mobile coverage. *Does GSM-R make it easier, more troublesome
or have no effect on the ability to provide coverage?

Mobile coverage in the Channel Tunnel is coming soon:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...tunnel_mobile/

Subterranean mobile coverage in the London Underground has certainly
been been looked at several times, but it's never come to fruition -
e.g. see:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04...s_mobile_plan/

Richard March 18th 12 11:30 AM

On 18/03/12 07:40, Mizter T wrote:

Mobile coverage in the Channel Tunnel is coming soon:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...tunnel_mobile/

Interesting link, thanks. It answers my question - GSM-R and GSM/3G can
use much of same kit and that as usual contractual details lag behind
the technology.

Subterranean mobile coverage in the London Underground has certainly
been been looked at several times, but it's never come to fruition -
e.g. see:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04...s_mobile_plan/

Seems quite possible but it's contracts again. Perhaps this is one
thing that Boris shouldn't have expected to get for nothing.

Richard.

Mizter T March 18th 12 12:29 PM

On Mar 18, 12:30*pm, Richard wrote:

On 18/03/12 07:40, Mizter T wrote:

Mobile coverage in the Channel Tunnel is coming soon:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...tunnel_mobile/

Interesting link, thanks. *It answers my question - GSM-R and GSM/3G can
use much of same kit and that as usual contractual details lag behind
the technology.

Subterranean mobile coverage in the London Underground has certainly
been been looked at several times, but it's never come to fruition -
e.g. see:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04...s_mobile_plan/

Seems quite possible but it's contracts again. *Perhaps this is one
thing that Boris shouldn't have expected to get for nothing.

I don't think it would have been remotely popular to use public/
farepayers money for mobile phone coverage on the Tube!

(Though Boris is rather good at promising things which will apparently
cost nothing, which then end up costing quite a bit - but in terms of
the Tube wifi contract, the costs really are being covered as part of
the commercial contract with Virgin Media.)

Mizter T March 18th 12 12:35 PM

"Virgin Media wins London Underground wi-fi contract"

On Mar 15, 8:20*pm, (David Horne) wrote:
[...]
I wonder if it will be available on skype wifi...

"I'm just going into the tunnel, I'll call you back in 2 minutes..."
repeat ad-infinitum!

I dare say Skype and equivalents might get blocked.

David Horne[_2_] March 18th 12 12:50 PM

Mizter T wrote:

On Mar 15, 8:20 pm, (David Horne) wrote:
[...]
I wonder if it will be available on skype wifi...

"I'm just going into the tunnel, I'll call you back in 2 minutes..."
repeat ad-infinitum!

I dare say Skype and equivalents might get blocked.

Skype wifi (which gives you pay as you go access to various carriers),
not the VOIP app itself...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)

Mizter T March 18th 12 02:06 PM

On Mar 18, 1:50*pm, (David Horne) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

On Mar 15, 8:20 pm, (David Horne) wrote:
[...]
I wonder if it will be available on skype wifi...

"I'm just going into the tunnel, I'll call you back in 2 minutes..."
repeat ad-infinitum!

I dare say Skype and equivalents might get blocked.

Skype wifi (which gives you pay as you go access to various carriers),
not the VOIP app itself...

Aha, sorry I misunderstood. We shall see who gets access.