Old March 26th 12, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 08:28:30 -0700 (PDT)
77002 wrote:
Wouldn't they? You tell me. There were plenty of gauge issues with contai=

ners
around the country but they sorted that so why would this be an issue
other than money?

ISTR the Severn Tunnel had very severe damp problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reading becomes the equivalent of Bedford on
the MML. Even though it would make sense to continue the wires no one can
be bothered.

B2003

Old March 26th 12, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

77002 wrote:
Wouldn't they? You tell me. There were plenty of gauge issues with contai=

ners
around the country but they sorted that so why would this be an issue
other than money?

ISTR the Severn Tunnel had very severe damp problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reading becomes the equivalent of Bedford on
the MML. Even though it would make sense to continue the wires no one can
be bothered.

From what I have read in this thread, the wires will go right thru to
Bristol and South Wales. I am curious about the current state of the
Severn Tunnel.
Old March 26th 12, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

In message , at 15:42:43 on Mon, 26 Mar
2012, d remarked:
I wouldn't be surprised if Reading becomes the equivalent of Bedford on
the MML. Even though it would make sense to continue the wires no one can
be bothered.

I hope it doesn't inherit that other dubious characteristic of Bedford -
only a quarter of the long distance trains bothering to stop there.
Old March 27th 12, 06:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Mar 26, 9:03*pm, wrote:
In article
,

(77002) wrote:
On Mar 26, 3:30*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:24:36 +0100

"Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message

I vaguely remember reading something about clearance issues with the
severn tunnel wrt overhead wires.

There is no OHLE clearance issue in the Severn Tunnel. *If there was,
they wouldn't be wiring through to Cardiff, would they?

Wouldn't they? You tell me. There were plenty of gauge issues with
containers around the country but they sorted that so why would this be
an issue other than money?

ISTR the Severn Tunnel had very severe damp problems.

s/had/has. They need a lot of pumping capacity.

Not the ideal environment for 25kV AC then! :-)

Old March 27th 12, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"77002" wrote in message
On Mar 26, 9:03 pm, wrote:

s/had/has. They need a lot of pumping capacity.

Not the ideal environment for 25kV AC then! :-)

The main works contract for the GWML wiring has been let to Amey yesterday,
to Cardiff (via the tunnel), Bristol, Oxford and Newbury.

Paul S

Old March 27th 12, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Mar 27, 4:19*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"77002" wrote in message

On Mar 26, 9:03 pm, wrote:
s/had/has. They need a lot of pumping capacity.

Not the ideal environment for 25kV AC then! :-)

The main works contract for the GWML wiring has been let to Amey yesterday,
to Cardiff (via the tunnel), Bristol, Oxford and Newbury.

Thank you Paul.

There are days when I just love Usenet. It is another month before
"Modern Railways" drops onto the doormat.

An electrified GW mainline, how exciting.
Old March 27th 12, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:35:24 -0700 (PDT)
77002 wrote:
There are days when I just love Usenet. It is another month before
"Modern Railways" drops onto the doormat.

An electrified GW mainline, how exciting.

I wonder how much brand new copper cabling the pikeys will manage to nick
before its complete.

B2003

Old March 27th 12, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(77002) wrote:

ISTR the Severn Tunnel had very severe damp problems.

s/had/has. They need a lot of pumping capacity.

Not the ideal environment for 25kV AC then! :-)

Better than for third rail!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 3rd 12, 12:38 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 04:37:38 -0700 (PDT), 77002
wrote:

On Mar 18, 4:01*pm, D7666 wrote:
On Mar 18, 12:44*pm, 77002 wrote:

Partially by planning to build trains that have few seats and no toilets.
This is the cost of involving TfL I suppose. *Why cannot Crossrail be
run in a similar manner to Thameslink?

I suggest if through route Thameslink did not already exist and/or the
present trains on the route did not already exist, then it would be
more Crossrail like; indeed, I suggest it would also be a more metro
less main line operation, with slow all stations trains to SR ML and
GN suburban destinations, without *old NSE *type network express
workings.

Indeed, if I planned TL from scratch, I'd never have linked it in with
GN, but with the Met (and electrified GC suburban) at West Hampstead.
Instead we have a supermarket where we should have junctions
infrastructure, and three disjointed stations instead of one.

West Hampstead is one of London's biggest, wasted, transportation
opportunities.

It's not conveniently near a seaport to get the people to Oz, is it ?