Old June 5th 15, 08:03 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail tunnelling complete

On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 12:06:21 +0100, Robert

On 2015-06-04 10:36:20 +0000, Graeme Wall said:

Now they can start building the railway... :-)

Indeed. But it would be good if Crossrail/TfL/NR could add some more
West and Northwest destinations, Gerards Cross, Tring, anywhere. :-)

Still, this is a happy day for GB rail development. This tunnel is
going to be a real game-changer.

Old June 5th 15, 08:07 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2015-06-04 10:36:20 +0000, Graeme Wall said:

Now they can start building the railway... :-)

Indeed. But it would be good if Crossrail/TfL/NR could add some more
West and Northwest destinations, Gerards Cross, Tring, anywhere. :-)

Yes, I think there's still a hope that Crossrail will provide the WCML
locals to Tring, but I don't know if there's been any progress on the idea.
It may have to wait till the start of the Euston rebuilding for HS2. I
don't think there's any chance that they'll also serve the Chiltern line.

Still, this is a happy day for GB rail development. This tunnel is
going to be a real game-changer.

Through the requirement that all trains using it be built for it (as with
the new Thameslink) does reduce the flexibility: you can't just route any
old electric train through either of these cross London routes (or the East
London line), unlike the West London line.
Old June 5th 15, 08:50 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2015-06-04 10:36:20 +0000, Graeme Wall said:

Now they can start building the railway... :-)

Indeed. But it would be good if Crossrail/TfL/NR could add some more
West and Northwest destinations, Gerards Cross, Tring, anywhere. :-)

Yes, I think there's still a hope that Crossrail will provide the WCML
locals to Tring, but I don't know if there's been any progress on the idea.
It may have to wait till the start of the Euston rebuilding for HS2. I
don't think there's any chance that they'll also serve the Chiltern line.

The longer and more complex a route becomes the less reliable it becomes.
IMO I think the tradeoff has already gone a bit too far towards the latter
by running trains all the way to reading. Personally I think crossrail should
have remained pretty much within the M25 boundary with decent interchange to
further destinations.

--
Spud

Old June 5th 15, 09:25 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2015-06-04 10:36:20 +0000, Graeme Wall said:

Now they can start building the railway... :-)

Indeed. But it would be good if Crossrail/TfL/NR could add some more
West and Northwest destinations, Gerards Cross, Tring, anywhere. :-)

Yes, I think there's still a hope that Crossrail will provide the WCML
locals to Tring, but I don't know if there's been any progress on the idea.
It may have to wait till the start of the Euston rebuilding for HS2. I
don't think there's any chance that they'll also serve the Chiltern line.

The longer and more complex a route becomes the less reliable it becomes.
IMO I think the tradeoff has already gone a bit too far towards the latter
by running trains all the way to reading. Personally I think crossrail should
have remained pretty much within the M25 boundary with decent interchange to
further destinations.

"Train already left the station" so to speak. The only branch that is
truly self-contained is the South-eastern one to Abbey Wood. The
North-eastern branch will be shared with trains from Liverpool Street,
and some freight.

Likewise 1GW will still be running locals on the GW reliefs and there
will be significant freight from Acton. IMHO, things could be
simplified by taking 1GW trains off the reliefs and having Crossrail
provide the entire passenger service.

Old June 5th 15, 09:40 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:25:57 on
Fri, 5 Jun 2015, e27002 aurora remarked:
The only branch that is truly self-contained is the South-eastern one
to Abbey Wood. The North-eastern branch will be shared with trains
from Liverpool Street, and some freight.

My understanding is that Crossrail will have exclusive use of one of the
pairs of tracks to Shenfield, and everything else will use the other
pair. This is, of course, one of the reasons it's only going as far as
Shenfield, rather than Chelmsford (which would be a more logical place
in terms of passenger flow if the infrastructure had existed).

Old June 5th 15, 10:22 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2015-06-04 10:36:20 +0000, Graeme Wall said:

Now they can start building the railway... :-)

Indeed. But it would be good if Crossrail/TfL/NR could add some more
West and Northwest destinations, Gerards Cross, Tring, anywhere. :-)

Yes, I think there's still a hope that Crossrail will provide the WCML
locals to Tring, but I don't know if there's been any progress on the idea.
It may have to wait till the start of the Euston rebuilding for HS2. I
don't think there's any chance that they'll also serve the Chiltern line.

Still, this is a happy day for GB rail development. This tunnel is
going to be a real game-changer.

Through the requirement that all trains using it be built for it (as with
the new Thameslink) does reduce the flexibility: you can't just route any
old electric train through either of these cross London routes (or the East
London line), unlike the West London line.

You can't route any old train down the WLL; it needs to be DC-capable
south of North Pole and AC-capable north of North Pole or else
self-powered.
Old June 5th 15, 10:42 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

[...]

Yup, plenty of diesels on the WLL, but zero on Crossrail, Thameslink and
the ELL.
Old June 5th 15, 11:54 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2015-06-04 10:36:20 +0000, Graeme Wall said:

[...]

cough!
"You can't just route any old electric train ..... unlike the West
London line."
/cough!
Old June 6th 15, 04:10 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

[...]

Many modern EMUs are dual voltage and could travel on the WLL, but not the
other lines.
Old June 6th 15, 07:00 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2015-06-04 10:36:20 +0000, Graeme Wall said:

[...]

Err, many modern EMUs are equipped for dual voltage operation, only a
subset can actually do so.

--
Graeme Wall